“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Water sports, Educational Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Offering 2 Tank Dives, PADI courses from Beginner to PADI Pro, Snorkel Tours, Equipment Rentals, Tank Fills and more!
Houston, TX
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

The team at Dive Exuma is really great. Me and my daughter Carley went on a one tank dive and also had a quick session so she could learn how to dive as it was her first time. Gavin and Nick were very very patient and were so sweet. They took us out to Elisabeta Reef where we only went down about 30ft which was fine seeing she had never dived before. The reef was absolutley gorgeous as were the fish. I now have my daughter hooked on diving!! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Westminster, Colorado
“Dive Exuma June 2010”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

My wife and I dove with Dive Exuma June 5 and June 7, 2010 along with another guest from our hotel. We were staying at Sandals Emerald Bay and grew tired of the restrictive diving with the Sandals dive shop. We decided to try out Dive Exuma in February Point. We needed to take a taxi to Dive Exuma from our hotel and unfortunately it is expensive (~$100 US). However we spread out the cost among 3 people as the taxi charge is per vehicle. The more people the better but make sure to check the cost with the driver before leaving. The taxi was late both days. My wife and I brought all our gear however the other diver with us rented gear including a dive computer.

The first day of diving we arrived at the dive shop after the taxi driver could not find it and we initially ended up at a residential marina restaurant and got directions. The entrance to Dive Exuma is nearer to the main road along the main entrance road to Feb Pt. and Dive Exuma has small signs with blue letters along the way. The dive shop is located on the water where their boat is tied up. The boat has a cover in the center of the boat but in June in can be quite hot fore and aft, is clean and is well maintained. The boat has stowage boxes for gear or other equipment. I used one for my underwater camera. All tanks are AL 80 cu feet. Water entry is giant stride or backroll off the stern sides. Boarding the boat is via an enclosed ladder on the stern between the engines where we removed our gear that was pulled up by a crew member. I think this was to save stress on the ladder attachments though it looked sturdy to me. All dives were moored dives.

The first day we were accompanied by a local diver and an intern for Dive Exuma. The local diver had some stories about visiting celebrities, one of which involved a young woman named Donna Rice and a Colorado Presidential candidate who had their picture taken on February Point thus ending a political career (though reports I read say the picture may have been taken in Bimini). The owners and DM's, Stuart and Robbie were on the boat. We split into two groups to dive Angelfish Blue Hole. Our group entered first and proceeded to the bottom of the blue hole which at the bottom angles off to a constriction where a rope across the passage blocks further entry. Depth here per my computer was 93 feet w/ total dive time 36 min. At this constriction point it becomes a cave dive however a dive light is recommended for the bottom portion. We did spot several large terminal phase Blue Parrotfish which were referred to locally as Bumphead Parrotfish. Several small schools of fish are also inside the bluehole. I recall that they were grunts but have no photos. There is not much coral inside Angelfish bluehole. We exited after a time and spent the remainder in shallow water above the opening. The area is very shallow here.
We spent our surface interval on the boat and proceeded to the tugboat wreck. The old dive site books I have (2001) do not list this site. We were told the previous Dive Exuma owners cleaned it up and sank it in the last few years. This wreck is in good shape, sits upright, and not too large but has quite a bit of life on it including lionfish, jacks, channel crabs, numerous small fish, and some resident barracuda along the mooring line. The depth was reported to be at 90 feet but I found the sand bottom to be 74 feet w/total dive time 35 min. Next to the tugboat is some healthy reef which on this day had quite a few lionfish.
Returning to the dive shop, we paid the bill and the taxi we arranged was waiting for us. Taxi payment is paid upon return to the hotel.
The second dive day we dove Elizabeth reef. This is a healthy reef is near Stocking island as I recall and is healthy but not large amounts of fish life though a few large lionfish were present. To be fair since our taxi was late, we dove late, so it could be different earlier in the morning. Having dived in other parts of the world we thought that the reefs in general were somewhat monochrome to the naked eye, the strobes on my camera did bring out more greens, yellows and some blues. This dive is shallow and ranges from 15 to 30 feet. My dive was 29 feet w/ total dive time 63 min
Since we could not decide at the dive shop what we wanted to do for the second dive, we dove the deep dive second which was the tugboat again. In addition to the same description above, we found two octopi in the reef next to the tugboat. The first had drawn in a conch and was apparently having lunch. The second withdrew into a hole before I could get a photo. My dive was 74 feet/total dive time 43 min.

The water was very calm at all sites including the tugboat. It was reported that the water could be quite rough at the tugboat site as it nearly borders the Atlantic. The weather was hot. On sunny days, the temp was high 80's and low 90's F a couple of days. We did get a lightning storm on day which cancelled Sandals diving to Long Island (two tank dive).

As described the taxi fares are high. Rental cars were available at $75/day. Driving is on the left. The dive shop reported that the previous owners had a shuttle they ran to pick up divers but the taxi drivers seemed to have a problem with it. Reminds me of the taxi union situation in Cozumel Mexico. Sharing a car may be the way to go but check with the rental company on allowed drivers.

Overall I would recommend diving with Dive Exuma. They are as good as any I have used in other locations that we liked. They know the sites, run a professional operation, and allow more freedom than Sandals operation (though I assume they would chaperone new divers as needed). I don't think their boat is suited to travel to Long Island however. The only downside is the cost at $175 US per two tank dive with discounts for packages. Additionally, they have a 5% surcharge for credit card (no Amex) use onsite. Prepay via other methods prior to arrival to Exuma may lower that cost but I have not investigated it. It was also hinted at our hotel that taxi rates could be negotiated with the taxi drivers separately from the hotel but we did not follow-up on that. Sandals Emerald Bay is relatively far from February Point (past Georgetown) so staying closer to February Point would lower that cost. And they do have the requisite souvenir dive t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Our dive experience is approximately 350 dives each. Both Padi AOW. Locations include Bahamas (New Providence), Fiji, Hawaii, St. Lucia, Grand Cayman, Florida and Cozumel MX (and a couple of slimy lakes in Colorado).

Isle of Palms, SC
“Dive Exuma Not”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

I am an experienced diver (ex-NAUI instructor) who recently went on a dive with Dive Exuma. First of all the rates are very expensive for a two-tank dive ($175/pp), but felt it could be worth it. Took my wife and daughter who do become seasick in rough seas, so I carefully planned well in advance with them and we selected a calm day this past December. Unfortunately, after all of the warnings and planning, they took us to a very rough site (Dog & Pup) where my wife (who is a great diver) and daughter (good young diver), both became sick. We proceeded with the dive anyway. It turned out to be a total bust. Visibility of about 30 ft. with very limited wildlife. We did see 4 lion fish, however. Not good, as they eat all of the indigenous fish and apparently they had done so. They are a menace to the Atlantic and Caribbean reefs. i was very surprised that the divemaster did not seem that interested in them or want to report them, much less kill them. I have been diving all over the Caribbean and a lot of dives in the Bahamas. My last dives in the Exumas were about 7 years ago up in the Land & Sea Park which was awesome. This diving was terrible. They did take us back to the Chat & Chill on Stocking Island which was good and the sun finally came out for the first time in 5 days.

Connecticut
“We are heading back to Dive Exuma as soon as we can.............”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We never new the old management, but having had the pleasure to meet the new owner's team we will be back in " a hurry "...

First class treatment, clean, friendly, knowledgable, detailed and safe.

My 16 year old son completed his PADI wreck diving ,boat course and buoyancy courses all in the short time we were there with expert training and attention to detail and safety.

The great dive locations are just a plus.....ignore the old negative reviews. The new team is "on top of it"....

Essex, UK
“A dive novices tale...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Our week in a cottage on Exuma had been really relaxing and totally chilled-out. When we turned up at Dive Exuma to look around they explained I could do the Discover SCUBA Experience, then go out to a reef on an accompanied dive; we made the arrangements there and then.

On the day, Tamara got the short straw and took me through the DSD, then out to the reef with Gavin for my 1-tank dive, close up and personal with a Lion Fish, Spanish Lobster, a thousand brilliantly coloured small fish and other coral-life organisms, as well as a Snapper that was too far away to grab.. Thanks again Tamara, brilliant!

We were really well looked-after, the arrangements and equipment were fully professional, excellent in every way. We recommend Dive Exuma (and if you want a cottage on the island, go google Exuma Blue - you won't be disappointed there either)