“Awesome and great value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hideaways at Palm Bay

Save Saved
You added Hideaways at Palm Bay to your Saves list
Hideaways at Palm Bay
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jolly Hall Bay at Queens Highway, George Town 00000, Great Exuma   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, United States
“Awesome and great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a trip to Hideaways to get away from weather in Central PA the week before Christmas this year. This was our 1st visit to the Bahamas and we had a great time staying there a week. I cannot say enough about their service. Before we arrived, the staff made arrangements to have a taxi pick us up at the airport ($30). Three days before we were to arrive, I found out that a job I had applied for wanted to interview me for a position over the phone. After contacting Hideaways they made arrangments for me to receive a this phone call on a landline in their office and have a secluded place to do the interview!! The owners bent over backwards to help us before we ever got there. When we got there, we were upgraded at no charge from a hillside studio to a hillside 1 bedroom villa with full kitchen which had a fantastic view of the harbor. Simply amazing. The villia was clean with a king bed, and a great porch for breakfast.
The Splash Bar had good food, but like everything in the Bahamas it was slightly expensive. The stuffed cheeseburger was way better than 95% of the restaurant burgers I have had in the US. There is a nice pool area and great beachfront with kayaks available to take out. There is a small reef about 100 yards off into the harbor plus another more secluded beach nearby.
Hideaways is 1.2 mile north of Georgetown (where there is a bank, market, shops, some restaurants), but they provide a shuttle that runs every 2 hours from 9-5pm. A taxi into town will be $10 if you want to go for evening. We walked into town during day, but I would not do so at night. We found fantastic local food located about 1/4 mile south at the Fish Fry, which is a collection of 10 food huts, serving up fantastic dishes, each also has a small bar. We ate at 4 different places (Shirley's, Poor Man Kitchen, Charlies, The Out Deck) which were all fantastic. Walking here is easily do able at night from Hideaways.
One thing if you have the money, is don't rent a car, instead rent a boat for a day or two as everything is much more accessible by boat (Stocking Island, Crab Cay, Fowl Cay, etc.).
If you decide to go to the Exuma Cays trip, and want an different adventerous experience go with Bob at Coastline Adventures, not 4 C's.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room to see the harbor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

This property is not upscale or perfect but I cannot say enough nice things about the management and staff. Many businesses say they will treat you like family but these people really do. The beach is not great but it is a short walk to Jolly Hall beach which is beautiful. Its quicker by the road than by the shore. I wish I could stay

• Stayed December 2012
Longlac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

could not believe how clean my villa was when i walked in the door. the smell of cleaners and all the ceramic .. wow
and the staff was great , bar and grill food was very good and portions were big.
Found the owners bent over backwards to help out.

i would stay there again anyday, as i wish most other places i have stayed were as good as this

Room Tip: i had the ocean view one bedroom studio . that i recommend for a couple bucks more a night over just...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brant Rock, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband & I were there as part of a kayak adventure to the Cays, and stayed at the Hideaways for 3 1/2 of our 12 days. This is a wonderful, peaceful place to spend vacation time - cottages are clean and roomy, the staff is lovely and accomodating, Splash has great food, and the grounds are beautiful. We walked into town and the hospitality van came to bring us back. We returned home on 11/30 to cold, cold weather...and seriously re-thought our decision to come home. I would return in a heart-beat. Great place to relax, make new friends, and forget the hustle and bustle of our lives.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My son and I were there for Mother's Day weekend. I was so surprised by the lovely cottage, just steps away from the ocean. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We kayaked, swam (in both the pool and the blue waters), and my son snorkeled. There was van service into Georgetown every 2 hours. Splash has good pizza and fish, but the prices were a bit high. I was able to relax and enjoy my surroundings better than I have in years. Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place is great! It is very laid back and relaxed. The rooms are clean and comfortable-- some of them even have washers and dryers which is awesome if you are staying for more than a few nights. It is right on the beach with spectacular views. The restaurant is yummy. You are close enough to walk into town or there is a shuttle. Love it!

Room Tip: There is pool side or beach side or up on a hill with a view. Some of the rooms have washers and dr...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have traveled a lot on the islands in the Bahamas, and by FAR Exuma and THE HIDEAWAYS has been my best experience! The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable, the staff is wonderful and if anyone is looking for a place to "get away from it all" without leaving the comforts of home, this is IT. Thanks to these folks for puttng a home away in paradise!!!

Room Tip: Didn't have room service, don't even know if there is a fitness center, but there is so much...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hideaways at Palm Bay? Share your experiences!