“Location, value, staff. are what makes this place great.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Augusta Bay Bahamas

You added Augusta Bay Bahamas to your Saves list
Augusta Bay Bahamas
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Queens Hwy, Mile Marker 1.2 West, P.O. Box EX-29180, George Town, Great Exuma (Formerly Beach Inn Exuma)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 George Town B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
niagara falls
“Location, value, staff. are what makes this place great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in February of this year. What everyone needs to know is great Exuma is not like Nassau. It's a very safe, quiet island. And the waters that surround it are more than beautiful. The property is very nice and well taken care of. The staff are all very friendly( John. Monique are great people and very helpful. I must say Douglas your the best and thanks for all your tour guide help:) A car would be helpful but next time I go I would rent a boat for the week. So many places and things see on the water. Swimming pigs awesome , swimming with sharks just wow. Iguana island.. The list goes on..I have to say that the waters around this island are beautiful.. This place is a great place to stay when visiting this island. I will return.. And if you go soon say hi to Augusta, he's the mascot for the property. And a beautiful dog :)

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Oak Park, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Once again, I am amazed by the reviews I read before and after this stay. Anyone who could find this little boutique hotel a "gem," the food exceptional, and the beach attractive probably has not traveled much in the Caribbean or elsewhere.
Although my stay was fine and I did not starve, there is no way I would return to this very amateurish operation. But let me be fair and list the positives and negatives of this little boutique hotel. Here goes:
Positives:
1. a great salt water swimming pool kept immaculately clean and always the perfect temperature. I loved the pool and used it all the time.
2. beautifully designed and executed bathroom.....could be in Architectural Digest
3. a nice long beach to walk on (with some detours for piers, hotels, etc.)
4. when tide is in, adequate swimming and snorkeling in front of hotel...no coral there, but fish around the dock. I would not call it thrilling snorkeling but there are many fish to watch.
5. staff is nice, but at times clueless.....will answer questions but do not initiate providing any valuable information about being there.
6. Exuma is safe and gives one a feeling of confidence of not getting in trouble if out walking at night alone. As a single woman of 75 I was able to go anywhere with a sense of safety.

Negatives:
1. You need a car....I did not rent one and ended up hitchhiking back and forth to a beach which was a little far for me to do round trip walk. If not a car, then you will pay high taxi fees.
2. Beach in front at low tide is somewhat smelly (natural salt pond smell) and unswimmable because too shallow....not a beautiful Caribbean beach, nothing like photos of Exuma.
3. Food is average and pricey. Breakfast completely average, with packaged sliced bread, not very good muffins, unripe cantaloupe, American grapes, no tropical fruit, and a cheese/meat tray inferior to deli department at local supermarket. You will not starve, but after eating the buffet at the Melia in Nassau this was a huge comedown.
4. Beds and bedding beyond ridiculous.....o.k. I am barefly 5 ft. tall....a Munchkin....but I could not get into the bed with superhigh mattress. Were they helpful? No. We moved two chairs so I could climb in and out from either side. With a bad ankle (torn tendon) this was like torture . I asked if there was a stool or little ladder or anything and was told a decisive no. Then we have the heavy brocade comforter....completely inappropriate for the climate. Yes, it was beautiful with the match pillow covers, but it was a big pain moving that heavy thing, and no, they did not turn down the bed at night. Plenty of drawer and closet space but inadequate hangers.
5. No local tourism brochures there...wondered if there were any and asked but was told no....met some folks at airport who had a beautiful Exuma brohcure they had gotten at Sandals which got a high recommendation from them. No suggestions of things to see.....so I had my taxi driver show me Georgetown on way to airport.....it was a lovely little town.
I could go on, but I think you get the idea.
Did not want to be negative about this place, because obviously the staff cannot change the tide, frequent rains, or other things beyond their control. But, I was ready to leave the first night and gradually calmed my feelings and floated with the tide. I liked Exuma but would want to return to a better hotel with food more to my liking. My bargain priced hotel in Jamaica so far exceeded what was offered at Augusta Bay that it was a "no brainer." Just wish I could transfer the quiet and good manners of Exuma to the Jamaican surroundings, beach, and food.
One more positive vote: Augusta the dog was friendly and unobtrusive...liked him the best.

Room Tip: They all seem to be the same....only two floors so your choice is first floor with patio deck or sec...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

we stayed here for five days in may and i cannot fault the hotel one bit, or its location. Its a beautiful small boutique hotel sitting right on the beach. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the lovely staff, who were always so friendly and helpful. As soon as we walked onto the secluded beach we were greeted by a stingray swimming right up to shore. The beach reminds me of somewhere pirates may have chiled, crystal clear water, green trees and white sand.
The room was perfect and spotless. the bed was one of the most comfortable i have slept in, and our balcony looked out to the sea. Within the five days we hired a car around exuma and tried to see the whole island and do the exuma cays tours, eg swimming pigs, sharks, diving etc. The people of exuma are so friendly, makes such a great change. The long road from the hotel to the town took around half hour walk, and many a times locals stopped to ask if we would like a lift. We were told as its such a small island it was very safe to accept lifts.
If your looking to book this hotel in exuma, dont hesitate, one day we would love to come back but with a nine hour flight theres alot of the world to see! we would like to say a huge thanks to the staff for making our stay a once in a lifetime, especially to monica who always went that little bit further to help us out any way she could. Also thanks to Augusta the dog who greeted us everyday with a wag of his tail!

Room Tip: we literally had to walks a few steps from our balcony and we were on the beach!
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Whenever the phrase "great value" appears, it somehow suggests Holiday Inns or the Courtyard chain and, in the Bahamas, it can cover a gambit of accommodations and comfort levels. Augusta Bay is great value, but it is a true gem just north of George Town in Exuma. Location on the harbor, with excellent views, an attractive courtyard and pool, a very acceptable restaurant and a wonderful staff - you could pay twice as much and not get close. The rooms are big enough, everything works and the whole place is spotlessly clean. There might be a handful of fancier hotels through the Exuma Cays, but if you are on a budget but love order and cleanliness, Augusta Bay is for you!

Room Tip: Second level facing harbor and overlooking pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have been coming to Great Exuma for 4 years in a row and this was our first time at Augusta Bay and we simply loved it. Room, staff, service, breakfast, everything was excellent. Monica at the front desk is the best. We didn't much appreciate the noise (music) coming from the neighboring establishment on Friday night, but that was our only complaint. We're already planning our visit next year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

The staff is excellent. Whatever you come to Exuma to do, the August Bay staff will cater to all of your needs. We went deep sea fishing and spear fishing during our stay and the staff prepared our fresh catch for us.

• Stayed May 2014
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We just spent a week at August Bay and loved every minute of it! Everyone at Augusta was great. Monica was awesome and makes some mean rum punch! We had room 201 which was a king. It was spacious, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Since it's only 16 rooms total, you never feel crowded and you also will make some new friends with the other guests since there are so few. The location is perfect. It's within walking distance of Jolly Hall Beach which was beautiful! The water was so calm we took inflatable rafts and just floated for hours. The restaurant at Augusta is really good. There are a few other really good places to eat within walking distance too. The fish fry is just a 5 mins walk. There is also decent snorkeling not too far from the hotel. We loved it so much at Augusta, we tried to change our flights so that we could stay longer! We are already planning for next year and are going to try and bring as many with us as possible! Even though I would love to keep Augusta and Exuma all to myself, it has to be shared with the world! Truly paradise!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Augusta Bay Bahamas? Share your experiences!