“R&R 101(dec.8-22)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Augusta Bay Bahamas

You added Augusta Bay Bahamas to your Saves list
Augusta Bay Bahamas
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Queens Hwy, Mile Marker 1.2 West, P.O. Box EX-29180, George Town, Great Exuma (Formerly Beach Inn Exuma)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 George Town B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“R&R 101(dec.8-22)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were originally thinking of Sandals as we like all-inclusive holidays but our travel agent
here in Toronto pointed out Augusta Bay as a more reasonably priced and well liked alternate.
Boy,was she ever right!No raunchy crowds,no rushing,no pushy vendors but peace&quiet with
some great options to explore the clear waters and amazing beaches.If you don't crave for loud
soca till wee hours,this is the place!
The staff is by far the best we have seen in the Caribbean with big smiles and great attitudes,
needless to say then that we saw fit to leave some tips.
We stayed in #108,a hop,skip and a jump away from both the pool and the ocean and liked the
unit a lot.The king bed in particular was very comfy.
It was easy to make new friends and have fun conversations since the overall almosphere is
so relaxed,thank you all for a great holiday!L&A Alho.

Room Tip: Naturally,the end units at waters edge offer the best views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

First timer in this hotel, (forget my writing/my first language is French) the room 208 was nice, clean with a large and very comfortable bed, a nice large bathroom, a fan in each room and AC in the bedroom, a fridge and a coffee maker (good coffee by the way), a wifi access, a balcony which has an amazing view of the beach and Stocking Island, a nice breeze at night so no AC was needed during our stay.

My husband and I were very happy with the service which includes a very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff, great lunch and dinner (breakfast was basic). The island and the beaches are so beautiful, we recommend to rent a scooter and visit both side of it. We took a water taxi to go to the beautiful Stocking Island (10 minutes away from hotel and not to miss) and had the famous pig roast (served every Sunday) and a few drinks at "Chat n Chill" which also has a great bar and staff. Walking distance from the hotel, there are food shacks surving fresh spicy conch salad and good food. We went to the "Poorman's Kitchen" a few times and had a real blast ,fresh fish, roasted pork, yummy coleslaw etc...they are open until late at night... It's hard to beat fresh, simple food made with love! and the local coconut rum of course!

We recommend the "Fourc's" all day water tour excursion, (good deal for a all day tour; 7:30 am until around 6pm) well equipped clean boat with a great and knowledgeable staff which tours all the cays, starfish, swimming pigs, iguanas, swimming with the sharks, snorkeling in a cave, and the sand dune in the middle of the ocean, stunning!!! also the lunch at Staniel Cay Yacht Club was great!

Going to the Exuma in December is one of the best time to visit as the temperature is perfect and the hotels are not too crowded. Overall the island is safe, the people on the island were wonderful and friendly, the beauty of the the beaches, the water and the cays has no words for it. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

You can believe the good reviews here - we read them all before going and the bad ones turned out not to fit. The resort is small, and has a beautiful waterfront and a great dock where you can leave your boat if you rent one. Renting a boat or car is easy with the help of the hotel. The rooms are nice and clean with a mini fridge (if you ask) and housekeeping is totally easygoing about when they clean your room - ours was always done regardless of the time we left it, and we were never woken up by housekeeping. I think the for the most part they watch for when you leave for breakfast. The review that says there was no hot water isn't accurate - we had problems figuring out the control, but once we did there was LOTS of hot water and I'm pretty sure that was just someone not asking how to use the shower. The breakfast was as advertised and totally fine, but if you like a massive fancy buffet breakfast, this isn't it. There was toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea, juice, and occasionally muffins included and you can order (a la carte) eggs and other things. The pool area was a nice place to eat and we liked having our own balcony where the wireless from downstairs (lobby, pool area) also worked. There was some road noise in our room since we were on the end (room 205) but it didn't bother us. The manager, John, was very friendly and helpful and occasionally checked in how it was going for us. He even gave us a ride into town one day to pick up our boat, which was nice since taxis aren't right on the spot. We really appreciated the staff being so friendly and helpful, and we were even able to borrow some sunscreen on day one before we had a chance to go into town. It's worth it to ask staff whether places you are hoping to go are open, and they know who to call to rent a car/boat or to get a taxi. It's walkable to the fish fry from the hotel (under 10 minutes) and even to town (20-30 minutes), but you wouldn't likely want to walk at night into town given the narrow road and no streetlights, but then I'm a bit of a chicken :)

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise maybe try a room on the 'beach end' rather than nearer the...
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Really appreciated the helpful, friendly staff. Beautiful location, close to Georgetown with a gorgeous view. Loved the large shower and comfortable bed. We rented a car so were able to get around easily and the staff helped with directions and suggestions.

• Stayed December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I'm glad I looked at the photos here on Tripadvisor, I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. The room was very comfortable and I even liked the decor! Such a great time without a lot of unnecessary noise, the staff was kind and friendly, helpful even. I missed the opportunity to go out on an all day tour, so the Renee in the dining room suggested I go to Stocking Island and hang out at Chat and Chill, I took her up on the suggestion and had the best time on the beach there!! If you visit this island, Exuma, I recommend you stay at Augusta Bay…and visit Chat and Chill!! You shouldn't be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Let's go straight to the point: in my culture, what they did to us is called a rip off.
May be in other cultures this is acceptable, I let you judge.
We checked out at 1200PM and they charged us 50USD for late check-out because the normal check-out time is 1100AM.
BUT
- they never told us, particularly during the check-in, that the normal time to check-out is 1100AM
- they never told us that even ONE hour extra would be charged 50USD
- it is not written in the room
- when I told the lady at the check-out counter that I do not want to pay these 50USD, she told us that anyway it is already charged on our credit card: they had processed the credit card charging even before showing me the bill
- when I showed surprised about that, she told us that, when she took her shift, the manager had told her to prepare the bill including the 50USD for late check-out. How on earth, at 0800 AM did the manager know that we would check-out late
- when I asked to talk to the manager, he was conveniently not reachable

Otherwise:
- the staff is very nice and helpful
- the room is ok and confortable (we took a sea view room)
- the sea is just a stone throw away from your balcony but there is no beach at high tide
- the food is just ok and their continental breakfast is really poor

Erick

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
sweetle, Owner at Augusta Bay Bahamas, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
This scathing review from Dinha et Erich is completely unjustified. We state very clearly in our guest information book, located in every room, that check out is 11am. The majority of hotels in the Bahamas have a check out time of 11am because the majority of flights coming to the Bahamas from the US arrive between 11am and 2pm. On Great Exuma every flight arriving from the mainland US or Canada arrives between 12.30pm and 1.30pm. Rooms have to be ready for arriving guests, who after a long journey, wish to check into their rooms and begin their vacation. Cleaning staff are scheduled to have all rooms prepared by 1.00pm for arriving guests. The labor laws of the Bahamas state very clearly that staff who stay later than their scheduled work time (no matter if it is a 5 hour work day) are entitled to overtime for staying later - hence the penalty for late check out. If guests have a late flight to Nassau, we offer storage facilities for luggage and changing facilities. The complainant told the cleaning lady to 'come back later' when she tried to make them aware that they had passed the checkout time. They eventually checked out at 12.26 pm. I guess we would also have received a scathing report from the complainant if, when they first arrived at the hotel, their rooms were not ready. In order to show good faith, we have refunded the $50 penalty to the guest.
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I just returned from Exuma and had a wonderful stay at August Bay. I spent 4 nights here in room 206, a queen bed room on the second floor. I took a chance and bought a Groupon Getaway for Augusta Bay never having used a travel Groupon before, the price was such a great value I had to try it! I am so glad I did because Augusta Bay has gorgeous water views from each of the 16 rooms and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. After purchasing the Groupon, I emailed the hotel and made my reservation. The front desk staff, Pam & Tonya, were both very helpful prior to my arrival. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the property is upon my arrival. The public areas of the small hotel - the restaurant, bar, and pool area are kept very clean and neat and the landscaping is very pretty. Once you step inside the property you will be surrounded by peace and quiet and the beautiful turquoise water views. Each of the 16 rooms has an outdoor patio or balcony with great views. In my room, the furniture was not fancy but the mattress was extremely comforatable and the room was adequate. The bathroom was on the small side and the vanity had one sink but it was remodeled and the tiled walk in shower was nice. For the price, this is a good value. Remember each room is only about 50 steps to the water and has great views. I do not like A/C so I turned it off and opened the sliding door and left it open for all 4 of the days/nights I was there. The breezes off the water were fantastic and they kept the bugs away. The ceiling fan over the bed was nice. This is the kind of hotel where you can totally relax and be casual. It is a quiet, peaceful place. I have high cleanliness standards and my only complaint was the room had the potential to be a little cleaner with better training of their housekeeping staff. When we return to Exuma, we would definitely stay here again, but next time I will reserve on of their King rooms becuase they are the nicest rooms with the best views. Definitely eat at their Friday night Bahamian buffet. It is an excellent value at $25 and we enjoyed Salad, Bread, Conch Choder, BBQ Ribs, Chicken, Grouper, Mac n Cheese, Rice with Pigeon Peas, other items, and dessert! It was really delicious and well prepared and a steal at that price because food is much more expensive when you are in the islands. We also loved our stay here becuase it is a short cab ride to the dock where Elvis's Water Taxi takes you to Stocking Island which is AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS. We spent a day there and while swimming, we were joined by two wild dolphins!!!! Another tip is walk down the beach to the left of the hotel and you can get to Jolly Hall Beach, another gorgeous beach for swimming. Go to Augusta Bay for a tropical getaway that is low key and relaxing. The staff is really nice!

Room Tip: King Rooms are the nicest but all 16 rooms have a view of the water.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Augusta Bay Bahamas? Share your experiences!