“Paradise in Hiding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Augusta Bay Bahamas

You added Augusta Bay Bahamas to your Saves list
Augusta Bay Bahamas
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Queens Hwy, Mile Marker 1.2 West, P.O. Box EX-29180, George Town, Great Exuma (Formerly Beach Inn Exuma)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 George Town B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Paradise in Hiding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I was looking for somewhere to go to just drop and sleep for 7 days straight on a beach and then wake up and go home...this is the place! I did not know it existed and decided to take a chance. I read the reviews first as I take each and everyone of them seriously. Nothing but positive comments. I called the resort to get more information regarding the meal plan & cost as it was complimentary continental breakfast only. I spoke to Ashlyn (not sure of spelling) and she was extremely helpful.

When I arrived at the resort I was pleasantly surprised. It was very quaint and not a gigantic compound. I was greeted by a very cheery and friendly woman (unfortunately I do not remember her name) who took my suitcase up to my room and told me a bit about the resort on the way. When I originally booked my vacay on-line I requested an upper level with a queen size bed and possible ocean view. It wasn't a guarantee but to my pleasure I got what I asked for - almost. The room was on the second floor - perfect location Rm 206 - right by the stairs. My door opened up to face the parking lot - not a problem for me. Entering the room I was again pleasantly surprised. Very clean and well put together. The furniture was very Ethan Allen-esque which was great, the bathroom you can tell was upscale, the bed very comfortable and soft. The verandah view was looking out over the resort that was towards the ocean. No biggie. There was a flat screen tv but no phone. The only issue I had with the room was the armoire - it was not functional. It was beautiful but that was all. When I opened it, it was dusty and had two shelves and 2 drawers - one useful one and one that had two boards in it to create 4 minis boxes. In order to put anything in there, I wiped down the whole inside and then laid out my belongings. The four mini boxes came in handy as I just used them to store my bikinis, lingerie and jewelery. other than that the room was great.

I went downstairs to the dining room/main lobby to check out the dinner rates. I met Ashlyn and she was quite pleasant. She stated if I ordered the dinner special it would be complimentary. So there were options.

The 'beach' is not a beach. I definitely would not swim in it. It is more of a docking bay for chartered boats. Unfortunately, you can smell the fuel from the boats so that wasn't pleasant at all. However, i decided to take a walk all the way down the beach, went past the other resort, past the bushy trees and rocks and came upon a mini driveway that lead to a house that had a private property sign on it. I crossed over that driveway and that's when I knew I was in a vacay commercial - empty beach with white sand and clear light blue water. Not one foot print! I couldn't believe my discovery! I mean I knew it existed but it was great to finally see! I spent the next 7 days there - had the entire beach to myself for 5 hours each day and by the time I was ready to leave, there were max of 4 people just coming to partake in the wonderous discovery.

The continental breakfast was okay - very bland and repetitive - but hey - you get fed so I wasn't complaining.

I walked to the centre of town passing the fishfry - which is awesome. If you don't want to eat at the resort every night then the fishfry is a place to check out. It is a set of individual huts that sell cooked food - fish, chicken beef, etc. Reasonable price.

In town there is a scoatiabank & a royal bank, a local grocers, gift shops, gas station, liquor store.

For night life - very minimal. There is the two t's - two turtles bar. But I think that is it.

You must make use of the taxi/tour services. They will take you all over the island and to the neighboring ones as well. I recommend Dimitri. He will make sure you have a great time and give you the history of everything in sight.

This is a place if you just want to get away form EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. All you will hear throughout the day and night is the singing of the ocean. Beautiful. The locals are extremely friendly and not overbearing - always ready to help. I went during the dead time - July - which was perfect. Very little tourist traffic. The weather was amazing.

I recommend this resort and island to everyone to check out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We just got back from Augusta Bay this week and we already miss everyone there (including Augusta and Augustina the doggies). This place was beyond our expectation. The staff were amazing. First day we arrived, John drove us to water taxi to get to Chat and Chill. Two days into the trip, the hotel owner Ian took us out fishing. The staff would brew us fresh pot of coffee everytime we requested to have a cup. Got bad sun burn a few days into the trip. John went out and got us Aloe Vera gel. The room is very clean and comfortable. As other reviewers indicated, every room has amazing view. We enjoyed snorkeling right outside the hotel. Spotted a few turtles right outside the hotel almost everyday at around evening time. We enjoyed a nice short walk to Jolly Hall Beach. We met good friends there and had the best time. We are planning to take our whole family there next year for our wedding. We can't wait! We highly recommend this place to everyone.

GTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

After doing a lot of research, we decided the Augusta Bay was the hotel for us on Great Exuma. For this trip we were looking for a quiet place with a beautiful beach to relax and that is exactly what we got. The rooms are beautiful, up to date, and very clean and the staff at the hotel is very friendly and accommodating. We loved the food at the hotel, we had lunch and dinner there several times and loved it. (bacon mushroom swiss burger to die for!!!!) I would recommend renting a boat from Minns watersports in Georgetown to check out the area of Elizabeth Harbour, there are so many secluded beaches to see and lots of places to snorkle/swim and veg out. We loved going to the chat and chill for drinks/beach/burgers. The chat and chill makes a fabulous margarita!!! We loved Hamburger beach, it's so beautiful, crystal clear water and white soft sand beach...and Alvin makes a mean burger there and nice cold bahama mama!!!! Having a car is also a good idea, as there are a lot of beautiful beaches and eateries you can find on little exuma too. We loved Santana's, the food was amazing, we also loved "catch a fire" for the sunset and the great food, for this place you'll need a car and great company like we had:) I would recommend bringing bug spray for the evening so you can enjoy your sunset without having the bugs bother you!!!! Overall we loved this trip and can't wait to go back. Thanks to all the previous reviews that were very true and helped us discover this amazing place!!!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I just got back, this is a great spot to go and just chile, and all the review I read said get a car, and I did, but a boat is where it is at, you can pick a new beach every day and not a sole on it, very , very nice , John and all the Hotel staff were friendly and helpful,

I have been to a many many resorts in the islands and I have never said I would come back, just becuse there is so many to see, But I left saying I WILL BE BACK, lol,

Knysna, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

The hotel is a small establishment. It is a great place to meet people from around the world. I had a lot of fun and owner is a very fun, sociable person. He takes a special interest in the welbeing and ensures that his guest have the best time on their vacation. The setting is magnificent and for a honeymoon, there is no better place, for romance, peace and quiet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband Mike and I just returned from one glorious week at Augusta Bay. Where to begin!! The hotel is beautiful, intimate and very well maintained. The views are incredible! You can see over to stocking Island and the harbour is every shade of blue you can imagine. The chef is outstanding!! ( I am afraid to weight myself) . The rooms are large with upscale decor and very confortable beds. The views from the upstairs king rooms on the corners are unbeleivable!!! All the rooms are just steps away from the crystal clear water. Jolly Hall beach is just a short walk away and is incredibly beautiful. The staff at Augusta bay is very accomodating and will do anything they can to make your stay fabulous. We rented a car for 2 days and a boat for 2 days (the staff at Augusta Bay arranged this for us) and we highly recommend doing this. We saw one incredible beach after the other. Most of them completely deserted. We visited all the resorts on the island and Augusta Bay has the best location and the nicest views by far!! We ate at February point for dinner and Grand Isle for lunch. The food and service is better at Augusta Bay and the prices are better also. Another advantage was that we could dock our boat at Augusta Bay overnight. The owner Ian is on the premises at least once a week and makes sure the hotel is very well run. Thank you Ian for the priviledge of getting to know you and for making our stay at Augusta Bay even more special than we could have imagined!!! We will be back very soon to Augusta Bay. We have fallen in love with the island and this beautiful hotel. Also a special thanks to John and to Monica for their friendship and for doing everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. All I can say is you have to go and experience this beautiful island and hotel for yourself!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I traveled to the Great Exumas November of 2010 and stayed 3 nights at the Augusta Bay. First of all, all the reviews about how nice this boutique hotel is, believe them. I was so impressed with the rooms, view, and location. Don't expect the Great Exumas to be an island of night life. This may depend on the season. Some of the best water in the world is in the Great Exuma Islands.

Things you must do.

Rent a car! Don't worry about driving on the opposite side of the road. It's not a busy island. If you don't rent a car, you'll be stuck and this is not an island you want to be stuck on.

Excursion is a MUST! http://www.robertsislandadventures.com/ We also rented a car from Robert.

Bring money!! It's expensive on the islands.

I have a ton of pictures, videos, and more helpful tips if needed. You are welcome to check them out on facebook. (Jeremy Gearries)

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view!