“I cannot wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Luna Azul
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 km north of Nosara, Ostional 50306, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ostional
Palatine, Illinois, United States
“I cannot wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Before I started to write my review of this amazing resort, I read the other reviews...I encourage you to do the same....the people who wrote them clearly had the same wonderful experience that we did!

Rolf and Andreas treat you like guests in their home, because this IS their home! I have never met better hosts in my entire life. This was the third hotel we stayed at, and the first time I was speechless when we arrived. It is gorgeous, and every detail of this place was well thought-out. Rolf and Andreas are gracious, knowledgeable and attentive, and their staff is wonderful. You almost never see the staff unless you look as if you want or need something, and there they are, ready to help! Feel free to ask lots of questions about what to do and see, because you will get some great information.

The lobby, bar and dining area are a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the gourmet food, usually prepared by Rolf himself. The infinity pool and whirlpool with jungle and ocean view are awesome...and I loved our private cabana. Jungle view, private, and tranquil. No phone, TV, or alarm clock here....just the sounds of nature! My FAVORITE part about the room was the shower, there is an open ceiling and open back wall so you basically shower outside! But don't worry, it's 100% private, no one can see you! Except maybe the geckos, iguanas, humming birds, or monkeys :) Remember, you're in their world now!

If you want peace, tranquility, beauty, and impeccable food and service, this is the place to be. My only "dislike" was having to leave! I was so sad to go.... but we will be back again and again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Luna Azul is a perfect out of the way hotel and restaurant. The food is incredible. I enjoyed the seafood both nights we were there. The rooms are nice and cool with warm and cold water. The owners will help you out with anything you need, including turtle viewing which is just down the road. Any room or cabin is perfect. Sitting on the deck of the pool watching the sunset is a wonderful way to end the a day of adventure in Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kamloops
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Dislikes : NONE!

Likes: The food was exceptional, the owners were welcoming and full of information and the ambiance is incredible. Oh and the vegetables were great....Just because someone takes the time to shape their vegetables doesn't mean they came frozen from a bag!

Pachamama, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been dining regularly in the restuarant since Luna Azul opened, and many people i know who come to visit the area stay in the bungalows and the best words to describe the experience is THANK YOU... for providing and maintaining such a high standard and consistent delicious goodness in the middle of paradise found. I am fortunate to live near by and am grateful to have such good neighbours and see those who come find a charming, get away from it all, boutique hotel with incredible views of the ocean, yet close enough to drive to the georgous beaches near by and dive in....highly recommended. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and children, 7 and 9 August 2012 for two nights. My first impression was that this was the Garden of Eden. It was amazing. The food was fabulous. I loved the fish. I had it both nights. I also loved their black beans with rice. Andreas made arrangements for me to go see the Olive Ridely turtles come on shore at midnight. I didn't see any turtles, but it was still a very cool experience. We saw a huge swarm of ants. Andreas explained that the ants were moving to a new location. We saw only one howler monkey. Wish we had seen more. We went to the local beach that Andreas told us about. We had the beach to ourselves. The sand, the mountains and water together made for a beautiful scenery. I'm looking at the pictures and reminiscing.

We were not prepared for how long the drive was from San Juan. The road are unpaved and you do drive through little streams. Andreas was amused when we said we didn't want to drive through the streams at night to see the turtles. That is when he arranged a ride for me.

We went during the rainy season, but saw no rain during the two day we were there, yet everything was so lush. As others have mentioned in their review, the bathroom is completely outside. There are walls there for privacy, but it does not keep out the bugs in the room. We did have little mosquitos and ants creeping into the room. We would rather not have shared our room with the bugs, but this was part of the adventure of staying at this hotel.

The two days we were there, we had the place to ourselves. My children loved swimming in their pool. I was however very aware that we were staying in a place that Rolf and Andreas are consider home. I kept a close eye on them so they didn't walk around with bare feet around the eating areas and minded their manners. I hope I did a good job.

Don't know if we will come back, there is so much of the world left to see, but I'm glad we went to the Hotel Luna Azul. I'm going to post some pictures.

Room Tip: This is a good romantic hotel if you like nature. All rooms have amazing views-some of the ocean an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Hotel Luna Azul was as good as all the reviews indicted it would be. Rolf and Andreas are terrific hosts and were very patient with our many questions - they helped with everything from car rental advice to beach recommendations. The rooms were immaculate and spacious, and the view from ours (an "ocean view room") was great. We loved seeing and hearing the howler monkeys from the balcony. The grounds/gardens were lush and well taken care of, and the restaurant and pool area was relaxing and beautiful. And the food - well let's just say that in most Costa Rican hotels, we've felt a sense of dread at what we might find at mealtime. But the Luna Azul menu was a delight - fresh daily specials from delicious local ingredients - every meal was really, really good. When we are back to the Nosara/Ostinal area, this is where we'll be staying!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zofingen, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

When you drive up the small hill on which this hotel is located the first time, you would never expect to find such a beautiful and peaceful place like the Luna Azul. The owners, Andreas and Rolf, accorded us a hearty welcome with a delicious, fresh mixed cocktail and some jokey small talk. They also gave us some informative and helpful tips for trips. But the moment when I had to catch my breath the first time was, when I saw the overwhelming view from my balcony. I've never seen such a beautiful panorama view. The monkeys were sitting every morning directly above the balcony in the trees.
The pool, bar and restaurant area offers you lots of possibilities to calm down, drink a fresh cocktail, enjoy the sunset or swim some leads. Although this area is open, we never had the feeling to be disturbed or observed. The whole Luna Azul crew always give their best to make you feel comfortable.
Furthermore there is to say, that we have never eaten better during our journey, than at the Luna Azul. For breakfast we got always some fresh fruits, self made yoghurt, gallo pinto, ect. It was absolutly delicious and always a good reason to get up for. ;) About the dinner there is nothing else to say. No matter if it was fish, meat, vegetables, dessert or whatelse, I would die for every single meal we had at the Luna Azul.
Additionally the whole Luna Azul team was always very courteous and kind. Thank you Andreas and Rolf for making our stay not just fanstatic but absolutly amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Azul? Share your experiences!