“Back yet again with friends” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save on Tour tickets
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ostional
Salt Lake City
“Back yet again with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before,but since this trip was different than the last...I thought I would write another review. As evident in my previous posts..I adore the Luna Azul. This year we brought another couple with us.I was concerned because I spoke so highly of the hotel and its owners Rolf and Andreas that I feared I had set expectations too high. I was also worried that they would not like the place I have come to think of as my special place. Well, they loved the Luna Azul as much as we did...whew! And they are also planning a return trip...I have passed along my addiction to another couple! If you want a great experience... Nature, service, comfort, food... This place has it all...go.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Farmington, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed our first visit to Costa Rica. We lucked into the best place to stay in the country. After a very long drive on ungraded roads we reached the wonderful Hotel Luna Azul. I had hoped our destination would be worth the journey, and we weren't disappointed. The grounds are immaculate! The rooms are comfortable, clean, and private. We were lucky to have a room that overlooked the jungle but offered the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. The open air main building houses a beautiful restaurant, bar, and very nice sitting area. Rolf and Andreas are great hosts! They were attentive without being intrusive. They made us feel as though we were the most important people in the hotel, happily arranging our fishing and canopy tours and offering local knowledge about the area. I hope to return to this little piece of paradise!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

If you are looming for adventure off the beaten path and don't want to sacrifice luxury, choose Hotel Luna Azul.

This was out first trip to Costa Rica, and we stayed at Luna Azul and the Four Seasons. While the two hotels were quite different, they both offered wonderful service in equal measure in their own right.

We opted to have a package put together for us by Rolf and Andreas, the hotel owners. We saw the turtle arribata, got a massage on our balcony, took a river tour, rode horses, and went zip lining. All of these adventures were coordinated by our lovely hosts. I highly recommend letting them customize a tour for you. Even better, they arranged all the details so payment was part of the final bill. We didn't have to worry about a single thing.

The grounds of the hotel were unexpected in the wilds of Costa Rica. The infinity pool was amazing, the flowers and trees were lush, and the dining room, was beautiful. We were ready for adventure, so seeing giant grasshoppers and tarantulas only added to the exotic experience. In no way did I feel like we skimped on luxury. You could hear Howler Monkeys, plenty of exotic birds, and hear the ocean at night.

The rooms were wonderful and private. The outdoor shower was one my the highlights of my entire trip to Costa Rica. Rolf and Andreas were consummate hosts. They catered to our every need and wanted us to have only the best experience. The food in the restaurant was also unexpected in quality. Each meal was tasty and affordable. As part of our package, two dinners were included, and breakfast was part of the price. Each morning we were treated to a bowl of fruit, yogurt, eggs, and Tico rice.

We met many people over the course of our stay who were regulars to Luna Azul coming to see the turtles lay eggs in Ostional. They were typically staying for one night. I highly recommend if staying in the area, give Hotel Luna Azul a few nights to experience the full opportunities of the area.

I don't easily give a full five star rating, but this place deserves all of the five stars it gets.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This review is way overdue! However, Luna Azul was such a special place to us, that we just cannot skip a review! We stayed with Rolf and Andreas in their wonderful establishment in March 2012. Words can hardly express what a splendid experience we had at Luna Azul! Initially we wondered why those 2 crazy Swiss have picked a place out of nowhere (the trip there itself on a 4X4 was quite an experience already), but from the moment we entered their property, our confidence was fully restored.

Our cabana was big with a fantastic huge terrace and a jungle view. Iguanas and Howler Monkeys were always nearby and we loved these extraordinary neighbors! The bed was comfortable and just the right firmness, both of us slept like babies every night. So many others have already commented the open-air bathroom, and we also gave it 2 thumbs up. Lots of space for storage and unpacking was a breeze.

Rolf and Andreas had a team of friendly and competent staff, who made sure the premises were always tip-top. The cabanas were smartly scattered around the well-maintained garden, and it was a lovely short walk from the Reception Area (where the lounge, restaurant and pool were). The restaurant itself was legendary. The ambiance was perfect, food was delicious and the menu changed every night with at least 4 or 5 different main dishes. We ate there so many times and were never disappointed. Rolf was also a brilliant manager, as he would come around the table each morning to make sure your activities were taken care of (if needed). For example, we went swimming with the turtles and one of us had a massage on our private terrace. The lounge area was so relaxing, one could either read or check emails, or just enjoy the gorgeous sunset with a cocktail in hand.

We didn't go there for the Arribada, but still had a memorable time at Luna Azul. We were very pleased from Check-in to Check-out and were a little sad to leave. We enjoyed meeting everyone at the hotel, including their dog "Mono" (now there is a "Fino" read from the others). When traveling far from home, we often worry about how well we would be treated in a strange and unfamiliar place. We were so glad that Rolf and Andreas have built this little paradise to take care worrisome travelers like us. We really felt at home!

Room Tip: Book early if you wish to have a room with an Ocean View. However, the Jungle View is just as nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had such a great time on our last stay at Luna Azul that we went back for an all-too-brief visit just before Christmas. Even though the booking engines like Orbitz showed them as full, I emailed Rolf and they were able to fit us in for two nights.One tip: email Rolf directly to book rooms. He will respond immediately or very shortly, and will answer any questions you have and help with special arrangements. The stay was as wonderful as before. The room (bungalow, really) was beautiful with the same view over the forest to the Pacific. The food was, if anything, even better than last time. The first night, I had a terrific shrimp in red curry sauce and my wife had local fish (pargo) in a lemon grass sauce. The next night we switched - I had the pargo in a herb butter sauce that was absolutely delicious, while Gladys had jumbo shrimp "Luna Azul" which she loved. Moving then to the terrace for creme brulee along with a special Swiss apple schnapps, accompanied by the distant sounds of the surf....get the picture? Perfection.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

For many years, seeing an Arribada has been on my bucket list. I could never quite get the timing right. Rolf has been so very helpful and patiently responded to my many notes and emails. By chance, there was an extra arribada during a full moon and I was able to make the drive to Ostional to see the turtles. After seeing the turtles, we went to Luna Azul and had a wonderful meal. The food was delicious and the selection was excellent! The selection of wines was very good. The gardens and ambiance was wonderful. Rolf recognized me as soon as I walked in and was such a welcoming host. I got a personalized tour of the gardens as well. They made us feel at home. We went back down to the beach to see the peak arrival time between 8-9pm before driving back to Playa Junquillal. I can't wait to see a really large Arribada and have dinner at Luna Azul again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We live in Costa Rica and wanted to stay a day in Ostional to see the turtles. Are we ever happy that we opted for Luna Azul! Rolf was very well informed about the arribadas the last few months and his info helped us see baby turtles getting to see in the afternoon and that same evening see the big ones lay eggs!

On his advice we went back very early the next morning for a breath taking experience in hundreds of turtles nesting and lots of newly hedged babies try to get to sea. Great photo opportunity!

We appreciated the well appointed rooms ( for example no need to crawl under a desk to plug in a phone or camera, a lovely outdoors shower), the tasty food and the very attentive and hospitable attitude of our hosts. We also loved their dog Fino.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Azul? Share your experiences!