“Nice spa day.” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Nice spa day.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Me and my Mum have just returned from a spa day there today. I bought a living social voucher which included access to the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi also coffee and pastries. On arrival to the hotel it looks nice and signs are easy to follow to the health and fitness area. Staff were polite and helpful, they shown us around and what we needed to do. We had our coffee and pastry before our treatments. Coffee was out of a machine I think but still nice and the pastry was nice too. Me and my Mum both had back, neck and shoulder massages and a facial which cost £48 with the 20% (living social voucher) I have never had a massage before so have nothing to compare it too BUT I thought it was amazing, Jessica was great. She asked me what I wanted to feel like and I could choose the oils I had too. Would love to go again and if I ever do I would definitely ask for Jessica. The facial was fab too. I felt lovely and relaxed afterwards. After our treatments we went into the pool, sauna, steam and Jacuzzi. We would of preferred to of had our treatments at the end and do the swimming part first but there wasn't any appointments left when I rang up (rang up one week before so can't complain) Overall I think the hotel/spa is good but it doesn't give you the option to choose it at the top so I chose average. Oh changing rooms were chilly? Clean though and they had hairdryers. Toilets were clean and smelt floral too.

Room Tip: Maybe book a few weeks in advance for the spa to get the right appointments.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
PGallon_General_Mgr, General Manager at The Park Royal, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear KellyEngland

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of you spa day. We are pleased that you and your Mum had such an enjoyable day and that you enjoyed your treatments. I have passed on your comments to the staff involved in making your day so pleasant. You may wish to check out the Qhotels website for the latest deals that may interest you. Once again thank you for your review.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed in a Qstar room which was lovely big bed and mini bar. The deal we got was amazing for the money 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast with champagne and chocolates in the room. The food was amazing we were allocated £26 for food only each and we did manage to get 3 courses just paying a few pound over. So tasty! The French waiter was so lovely! The gym is really good with a cardio and weights room separate. We also got 20% off treatments in the spa so we both had a back massage which was amazing and the spa facilities were lovely. We both had an amazing time and want to be back. I would recommend this hotel for couples and it also looked good for families.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Emmachris13

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us at The Park Royal Hotel. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and that the hotel met with your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your return in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked this hotel for the middle 4 nights out of six for our family trip to the north west. One night at a Travelodge in Birmingham on our way up from Kent 4 nights here and the one night in a Premier Inn on the way back down. I have to this was extremely good value for money at less than £60 a night Bed & Breakfast for 4 of us. It was Q Hotels summer promotion where Kids stay and eat for free. The reception was friendly, (I didn't have to walk through sand on any of the four nights we stayed, contrary to a previous review who stayed in August 13). We were given two rooms with adjoining doors so the kids had their own room which they loved. We took up their meal deal on the first night (pay £21 per adult, then chose up to £26 of food of the menu for a 3 course meal and the kids eat free) a bit of a no brainer and the food was excellent and the French Head Waiter was also excellent. Breakfast was just as good and we never had a problem getting a table, the chef was constantly replacing the buffet with fresh food. The spa is not really a tranquil place but had treatment rooms, hot tub, sauna, steam room and pool and had specific child swim times. Overall I could not fault this 4 star hotel when we paid the same cost per night as we did for the Travelodge and Premier Inn where we were all squashed in to one family room with little facilities. Business or Pleasure this hotel can not be faulted. Oh I forgot to mention the Free WiFi in all areas of the hotel including the rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PGallon_General_Mgr, General Manager at The Park Royal, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear NatSop46

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your family stay with us here at The Park Royal Hotel. We are really pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay and that the hotel met with your expectations and more. The hotel is ideally situated for many of the family attractions in the North West which can be found on our Q Hotels website. Once again thank you for your kind review and I do hope that we can welcome you back here in the future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Having never reviewed a hotel before, I thought it was only right to review this one due to my experience. I stayed at the Park Royal in August 2013.

The quiet hotel location is perfect for business and pleasure with easy road network connections to both the M6 and Liverpool. I was on business and chose this hotel for this reason and the fact it was rated at 4*.

Driving to the Park Royal hotel from the M6 was easy and only a few miles detour.

However…..

If arriving from this direction the first glimpse you get of this hotel is of a back service entrance, I assume for deliveries. Not only is this littered waste land very unsightly, the hotel has obviously taken no thought to cleaning the area up. As you drive past the scrap metal and the disorganised mess at the back of the hotel you take a left turn and arrive at the hotel entrance. Only at this point you can breathe again and take a sigh of relief.

The car park is well kept and with plenty of spaces it was easy to park fairly close to reception.

However…..

Walking into the “4 Star” hotel you have to meander past a children’s sand castle kit. Not only is this not the first thing you want to see but you also have to walk through the sand.

I fully understand that hotels have to be “child friendly” but to enter a play pen to get to reception isn’t great for business customers.

Having reached reception without slipping on the sand and breaking my back, I was allocated a room quickly and without hassle.

The room was perfectly adequate for a standard 4 star rating and was cleaner than most rooms. The bathroom could have done with a maintenance man for a day. I suggest that the hotel management sit in the bath of every room and understand what the customer sees.

Having opened the curtains to see my beautiful view of the hotels grounds, I was horrified at what my room looked out on. Only 10 minutes before had I driven past the waste land at the rear of the hotel. My view was of that run down delivery service lane I hoped I would never see again.

Having travelled a long distance and not having the energy to bother changing rooms, I decided to go for a delicious meal at the restaurant situated inside the hotel.

The restaurant was understandably busy for the size of hotel and the rural location. The hotel has obviously cashed in on the captive market and priced their food £5 – 7 pounds over what each dish should cost. I decided on a chicken dish costing £17.00. When it arrived I couldn’t help but laugh at the ridiculous presentation and so little on the plate. A mashed together piece of chicken plonked on a plate with more porcelain around it than food.

The food levels are basic at best and you would be better getting a taxi to a local restaurant or shop. A very basic pre-packed value meal would have been tastier than the bland, overpriced platter that came from the back kitchen. A complaint and feedback was given when asked “ was everything ok”.

The hotel at night was quiet and comfortable. The fan in the bedroom was a nice extra.

In the morning, there wasn’t enough room in the restaurant to have breakfast so I ate in the bar.

After all the drama, a nice health spa was in order.

When you imagine a health spa you think of a peaceful and quiet place. When I arrived in the morning, kids were in the pool screaming in my ear. I decided enough was enough and left.

Overall the 4*spa hotel should be demoted to a 3* family holiday resort.

I personally won’t be returning but if I did I would go to Butlins for the same experience.

Room Tip: Avoid room 120 at all costs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Have just returned from a weekend stay at The Park Royal hotel in Stretton near Warrington with my husband and our two children aged 14 and 9, and another couple and their 19 month old daughter, bought using the school holiday offer. I cannot praise the hotel enough.

From the moment we walked in we knew that the hotel welcomed children as the first thing we saw in the reception area was a sandpit !!!

This was our first ever stay in a QHotel and we were very impressed. I had initially booked our stay online but had realised that I had made a mistake and had to call the booking line to rectify my error - this experience itself was brilliant as the person on the other end of the line was ever so helpful and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble for her - very helpful indeed.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were lovely, although because we are travelling with 9 and 14 year old kids our room was a little squashed due to having two put you up beds in with us - but had been warned of this when booking - and this is how we usually have are in all hotel rooms!! However our friends' room was nice and spacious with a double bed and cot for the little one.

Our room had a bath and shower, complimentary shampoos etc, lovely fluffy towels, a trouser press which had an integrated ironing board and iron which I thought was brilliant. There was plenty of storage for all our clothes etc, hairdryer, plenty of lighting, mirrors and electricity points and a table and two chairs.

The food was lovely, we had a bar snack on our first night in the bar which was delicious, and the buffet breakfast in the Topiary dining room every morning was excellent with everything that you could want to start you off on your day. The bar area had a family friendly corner with a television, small chairs for little ones to colour or play with the board games that they had.

Took advantage of the swimming pool with the children which was great. Didn't have to worry about taking our own towels as they were complimentary as were the hairdryers, and even had moisturiser in the changing room!! The swimming costume spin dryer came in very handy - 10 seconds and your costume was nearly dry!! There was also a family changing room which was great if you had a little one that needed both parents around to get changed!!

Unfortunately we didn't manage to take advantage of the gym or had any spa treatments - maybe next time!!! ;)

Would definitely come back to the hotel, and would highly recommend it to others!! Thank you all at Park Royal for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Meganeirian

We are delighted that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us recently here at The Park Royal Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive and detailed review of your experience. Your comments are testament to the reason that so many of our guests return. We are a family friendly hotel and we delighted that your children were made to feel so welcome, and that you were able to enjoy the facilities we have here. You may wish to check out our website for future events and attraction packages that we have aimed at families if you wish to return here in the near future. We do hope that we can welcome you back and thank you again for your lovely review.

Wirral
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Check-in was laboured as a group booking was in progress and no concession or apology was given for the 10 minute wait. No offer of assistance with luggage, no directions as to how to get to the room were given, how to operated the card-key system and no instruction as to how to get electricity supply up and running. When we rang reception the girl sounded surprised that we hadn't figured it out for ourselves, she was dismissive and again no apology was forthcoming. The room was tidy but the decoration was very tired and the black mould on the PVC window frames was off-putting. The constant noise of the A/C units outside the windows was unbearable and stopped us from having a restful night. The restaurant was very good, the service was excellent and the food was good. The building and general décor in the public spaces was to a good standard and clean.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the grounds and not the roof where the A/C units are located.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WilliamC626

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Park Royal hotel. Firstly may I apologise for issues you encountered during your check in this is not indicative of the standards that we adhere to at The Park Royal. Your comments have been taken on board and passed to our Reception manager. We are pleased however that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant and that our staff were attentive and the service was excellent. I do hope that your experience has not put you off returning to The Park Royal and I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We visited this Hotel last year and enjoyed it having had a package trip - this year we had B&B only. Still a nice hotel with a nice spa/gym but the room was exceeding hot this year. Although we opened the windows the noises from outside were disturbing. The meal in the restaurant was nouvelle cuisine and although tasty there wasn't much of it so I didn't feel as if I had overeaten. Saturday night there was a noisy party (not the Hotel's fault) and they were noisy until the early hours. Would I visit again? - Probably but I'd look at the Restaurant menu carefully before I would book

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew M

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Park Royal Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are disappointed that you found the room rather warm, we do try at all times to keep the rooms as comfortable as possible for our guests but when the weather is very warm this is not always possible. I do hope this has not put you off returning to the hotel as we would be pleased to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Paul

Been to The Park Royal? Share your experiences!