“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gold Canyon
Bellaire, Michigan
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We celebrated our anniversary with this trip. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was included in the package and the cold food was fine for us. The room was clean and had been redecorated. We used the outdoor fireplace one evening. We would go again. Next time we will take our golf clubs. Bottled water is pricey so bring your own or stop at Walgreen on the way.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We held my son and DIL's Welcome Party at GCGR and had guests for the wedding in 40+ rooms. Nicole who managed group room sales and Robert who was catering manager were both excellent! I'm not a golfer, but hear the golf was good. Because it is further outside of PHX and maybe not super high end (décor wise), the pricing was quite reasonable. We had a southern buffet dinner for 90 guests and everyone thought the food was excellent. Everyone enjoyed their stay. Staff were all friendly and did a great job. I recommend GCGR for an event such as this.

Room Tip: Adjacent to golf course for nice views. It is spread out, but has golf cart service. Also stairs t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Dear Travelers,
I'm writing this review as carefully as I can. My intent is to give as much info to my fellow travelers as I can in order for them to make the right choices and get as much value and enjoyment out of their vacations. With that said.....Please read this entire review before considering staying at Gold Canyon Gold Resort.

First off, this "resort" has some good reviews, but you may notice those are mostly for the golf course NOT the accommodations. My husband and I did not golf during our stay and will only review the hotel.

We found Gold Canyon through Groupon. We have had many good experiences through Groupon until now. I believe the purpose of marketing through Groupon/Living Social, etc. is to bring in travelers and introduce them to your product, in the hopes they enjoy themselves and someday return (paying full price). Following that plan you would want to give your guests the best experience and leave a good first impression. That obviously was not Gold Canyon's strategy. We were booked into one of the most run down, outdated, dirtiest rooms, that also happened to be one of the furthest out and had a huge barrier blocking what was supposed to be a golf course view (see pics). Our daughter lives in Phoenix and we visit her 4 times a year. We wished to find a base hotel to return to with each visit. Unfortunately (or fortunately for us) we are crossing this one off our list.

The room was so outdated it looked like we stepped into the 1980s. The furniture was a red vinyl sofa and Ikea type tables. The bar area was done in very dated ceramic tile with dark brown grout, which was chipped and crumbling. The refrigerator was so small and never chilled (room temp). The front door had something oozing down the wall (see pic). The only locks on the doors were the old fashion chain type and the hardware was loose and ready to fall off. Everything was covered in dirt, dust, or slime. The top of the one nightstand (for 2 queen beds) had the veneer chipping and peeling off (see pics). The old style mini blinds had pieces missing and the slats covered in dust.

The bathroom was big with a good size counter top (old Formica type), but the toilet area was in the same space as the dressing area, so there was no privacy. In addition the door to the bathroom had no lock on it and the door latch kept causing it to pop open. I'm assuming in an effort to save money this hotel does not offer complimentary bottles of grooming items. They have dispensers on the wall they refill. This includes the hand soap, except the dispenser was filthy with slime running down the front (see pics). The walk in shower (no tub) had no door and the floor flooded with each use.

This room was suppose to be a golf course view, but there was a huge support beam smack in the middle of the view! There was an outdoor fireplace, which we did not use. The cheap brand fire logs cost $10 EACH! Which was as shocking as the cost of $6.50 for a bottle of water! One day our room did not get made and we had to call for maid service when we got back in late in the day.

Enough about the terrible condition of the room (please see all the pics I've included). The first day my husband and I booked a Couple's. Massage in the spa. My husband's masseuse seemed to be an experienced professional, but my girl looked like she had just graduated from high school and was very, very inexperienced. My massage was one of the worst I've ever had! At one point I opened my eyes and looked down to the shocking sight that she was BAREFOOT! I find that to be very unsanitary. After the massage we were each brought a glass of water with a piece of pineapple floating in it. My pineapple piece had a long black hair stuck to it. I declined the water after seeing that. I wasn't offered another even when I pointed it out. Terrible spa experience!

Breakfast was NOT included in the price of the room. They offer a buffet style with fresh omelets, hot items, pastry, and cut up fruit. The breakfast was good, but expensive. Later, we laid by the pool. The pool is NOT heated and the water was freezing cold. The deck furniture padding was worn and faded. There was no pool service. No lifeguard, no attendant, no drink service. My husband walked up the stairs to a bar area and ordered us 2 Bloody Mary. These were the smallest drinks ever! NO garnish. No celery, no olives, no salt. I don't even think there was alcohol in these drinks! They cost $15 EACH!!!! And I believed they were just glasses filled with tomato juice. The pool area is also very small. There was only 2 umbrellas for the entire space. They have a rock radio station piped in and it was loud. Especially all the radio commercials. We were the only people at the pool area. It was unpleasant.

The one saving grace of the entire stay was the beautiful grounds. The resort is beautifully landscaped with lovely desert plants. There are gorgeous plants and trees with winding paths. It was pleasant strolling through. The highlight though is the mountain situated directly next to the resort. There is a trailhead right on the property. The hike up the mountain is easy and the views are breathtaking. We really enjoyed the mountain hike.

Overall our stay at Gold Canyon was negative and I do not recommend this place to other travelers. Although we had a Groupon for a 2-night stay ($189 total) we stayed 4 nights. The extra nights were charged at $209 per night. This was an outrageous amount for what we got! Not only was the room charge way out of line, but they charge you extra for every little item possible. In hindsight I feel as though we were "ripped off". I urge anyone considering staying here to look at other possibilities. Gold Canyon Golf Resort is NOT a good choice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
gcgr, Manager at Gold Canyon Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent visit. We are truly disappointed that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that your concerns have been researched and we will take corrective action as needed.

Also, please know that your overall satisfaction is our top priority, We encourage guests to let us know of any concerns so that we may address them immediately. Unfortunately we were unable to imporove the situation as were unaware of any concerns.

While the resort is not new, we have gone to considerable efforts to preserve some of its character from the past, and please know that cleanliness is of our highest priority.

We appreciate the glowing comments about the beauty of our resort and the surrounding area, and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to deliver a memorable experience that so many of our guests come back to us time and time again for.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I would like to start off by saying you pay for way more than what it's worth. The decor and layout is very outdated. When you use the restroom your knees touch the opposite wall! I will never stay here again if you want beautiful views and amazing casitas stay at the Boulders in North Phoenix. Almost forget about how rude and unaccomidating the staff was. They're a joke! If I am ever in Gold Canyon I'll stay at the Best Western, which is probably equivalent if not better!

• Stayed March 2014
Dewey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The casitas have outside fireplaces with views of the desert, golf course, and the city lights below. The food was great with outside dining capturing the views. This is the place to be in the spring in the desert.

• Stayed March 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We got married 2/22/14 at Gold Canyon Golf Resort . We stayed the weekend as well as many of our guests, and it was quite an experience. The rooms are very nice and clean. The restaurants have great food, and the patio was great to just hang out, with heaters and gas fire pits when the nights were cool. Everyone had a great time. Some of our guests got their hair done in the Spa. Great jobThe staff was incredibly nice and helpful from the bartenders to the guys driving us around on the golf carts. Even at 1am when one of us was locked out of our room they were extremely nice. The ceremony was held at the Town Hall site. Such a beautiful place, the views are incredible. Nicole Walker was beyond nice and so helpful getting all the rooms booked, some on short notice. Robert in charge of rehearsal dinner and the ceremony did an outstanding job making sure everything went smooth. We can't thank you enough for making it a fabulous weekend!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have been staying at the Gold Canyon Golf Resort in Gold Canyon, AZ for the last 6 weeks while working on a consulting project and have come to experience a resort that is nothing less than top shelf. This resort has the look and feel of a 5 star resort. The property is well kept, clean and very appealing to the eye. The front desk staff is friendly and are very quick to check you in. The restaurant experience was the same and the food quality is the best that I have experienced. The prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly and very professional. I travel over 300 nights a year so I know a quality hotel/resort when I see one.

I wanted to share an experience where the reservations supervisor acted on a comment that I had made about liking a soft or downed pillow at my other hotel stays. The very next week during my check-in I was given a nice note card telling me that they appreciated my comments and that they purchased me a set of downed pillows for my future stays at the resort. I will be staying at this resort for the next 16 weeks. Thank you Dianna! You are the best and I hope your boss reads this and realizes what a great staff they have at Gold Canyon Golf Resort.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who appreciates high quality at an affordable price and who appreciates a staff that cares about the customer. On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate this resort a 15.

Tim

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Gold Canyon Golf Resort? Share your experiences!