“Very Disappointing Stay For Me” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avondale
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very Disappointing Stay For Me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked a King Studio Suite at this hotel after a busy day of working in the city and were too tired to drive too far. Upon were told that the the no King rooms were available b/c they weren't clean. The poor girl at the front counter tried to be as accommodating as she could and went to check all of the vacant rooms but to no avail. We ended up in a room with two doubles that was what they called clean. The toilet had spots on it that I had the joy of cleaning off. There were long hairs all over the bathroom. The walls are very thin here as well and I woke up to the sound of the kids int he hallway sounding like they were right in the room with me. To top it off, upon check in, I asked for my IHG Member Reward gift since the IHG Member Rewards Sign was on the counter and was informed that they no longer give gifts to the rewards members.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Carol M,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Takes a good 20 minutes to get here from downtown New Orleans. Grocery store and pharmacy within walking distance. Room excellent -- large, comfortable, quiet with well-equipped kitchen and very comfortable bed. Staff polite but a bit lackadaisical. Wifi was not working and employee response was, "Yeah, that happens. I can't use either." No pool. Asked about health club access advertised in hotel info booklet in room. Staff had no idea what I was talking about. When I asked her to find out, she called someone, but got no answer. Wifi extremely slow when working. Well equipped fitness room and free laundry. Convenient parking. Very good shower. Two computers (one with Internet access) & one printer available for guests. Need room key to enter building and all public areas. Overall this is a pleasant place to stay, and I would come here again.

Room Tip: 124, 126, & 128 overlook the patio.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
cwsavondale, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Gleweliz,

I am happy that you were very happy with our rooms and the well stocked kitchen. However, I am sincerely sorry that you found the staff to be lackadaisical and that you had issues with the internet. We strive for all of our employees to make each guest feel welcome and "at home". We have recently upgraded our internet, which will fix the issues of the internet being slow. I thank you for the feedback as it is the best way for us to improve. We hope to see you again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Saturday night trip to New Orleans. Our favorite French Quarter hotel was sold out. I guess it was about 10 to 12 miles from NO French Quarter. Rooms were quiet and clean. The hotel looked newly renovated or maybe it just opened. We did not arrive until midnight and our room was still available. There was free wifi with a password given at check-in. Parking was also free. Hotel is located right next to Waffle House if you are a fan. This is kind of an isolated located but was a great value for us on a Saturday night. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
cwsavondale, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Kidlnfiniti,

I would like to especially thank you for the wonderful 4 star review that you gave the hotel. I am glad that you found the room to be quiet and clean. We take pride in keeping the entire hotel clean and "new". I hope that if your favorite French Quarter hotel is sold out again that you will choose to stay with us again. Thanks again for your review!

Basile, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a really nice place to stay. Of all the times I've been to New Orleans, this is the first I've stayed in a hotel there. Naturally, I was very picky about the location and the safety of the area. We felt very safe and comfortable here. The desk clerk was very professional, informative, and courteous. The rooms are spacious, and they have everything you could possibly need! We had no trouble checking in, everything was speedy. Very clean!! I was definitely impressed with this hotel overall and would recommend this place to anyone. It is also budget friendly for being only about 20 min away from the French Quarter!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
cwsavondale, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Katrina R,

I would like to thank you for taking time to let us know that you enjoyed our hotel. We definitely appreciate that you noticed that our staff is professional, informative, and courteous. The entire staff of the Candlewood Suites Avondale is happy to know that your stay with us was Great and Relaxing! Thanks you again for your extremely positive feedback.

Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

There are PROS and CONS to this hotel. One PRO is definitely the Candlewood Suites brand, as we stayed in this hotel chain before in different locations and we were satisfied. However this hotel falls below the expectations. The staff in this hotel was simply put, rude. For the first time, I felt unwelcomed. They keep the front door locked, and we waited for about two minutes for somebody to open the door for us to check in. During the check-in, we felt as we were inconveniencing the front desk person. I cannot remember her name; just that she had a tattoo on her breasts. One other PRO is the security car which patrolled the parking at night. Nearby, you will find Win-Dixie and Waffle House. The hotel is about 14 miles/30 minutes to French Quarter. The location is not ideal. When you include gas, paring fee of $20 at French Quarter and time wasted to get there, you might just be better off staying closer to New Orleans.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
cwsavondale, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Traveling Bosnian,
I would like to first thank you for your feed back about your experience at our hotel. I do apologize that you found the hotel staff to be rude, and the hotel unwelcoming. The entrance to the hotel is locked as a safety to our guests and staff as there is no other way to monitor who enters the hotel. I am very glad that you did like our security guard driving around the parking lot at night. Again I do apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and hope that you will give us another chance if you are in the area again. Thanks!

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wow, my boyfriend and I went on a road trip and stayed at seven different hotels under the InterContinental Hotels Group and this one was the worst! We stayed here one night and are glad it was only one night! When we walked into the hotel, the woman working the front desk was on the phone, and we could tell it was a personal call. She proceeded to stay on the phone and check us in. Once we finished checking in, we proceeded to our room. We got off the elevator and on our the third floor where it reeked of cigarette smoke. When we got to our room, the keys would not work, surprise, surprise - woman at the front desk on the phone was not paying attention. My boyfriend had to go back down to the front desk to get the keys programmed correctly. Once we got into our room, we tried the internet code given to us, which was invalid! My boyfriend called the front desk where the woman gave him an attitude, like it was his fault she messed up. It was one number off, so I bet if she wasn't on her personal phone call, she would have got it correct the first time. We had a room with two queen beds. The bedspread on both the beds was filthy which we didn't realize until I noticed my boyfriend's grey shirt covered in little hairs which looked like it was from a pet! After pulling the bedspreads off there was still some specks of little hairs on the sheets. The shirt he was wearing was unwearable for the rest of the night because it was all over the shirt, thousands of little hairs, gross! We went to the French Quarter, which is about a half hour drive away. The morning of our check out I figured I would start putting a couple of our bags into the car. I went out to our car, when I came back, the secure door that you have to wave your room key to get into the lobby wasn't opening. The woman at the front desk should have just saw me walk out of the lobby a minute before, and I knew she could see me standing there waiting to come in (waving my useless key card over the sensor) but she didn't open the door for me! Luckily she was talking to someone giving him directions, and when the man walked out, the door opened so I could get back in! The man (a customer) walking out was friendlier than the staff! I was denied entry through the main hotel door way before the check out time! When I got back to the room, the key still worked. So I could get into the room, but not the hotel front entrance, what a bad system! We didn't have any issues with the main door opening when we came back from the French Quarter so I'm not sure what happened. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
cwsavondale, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I apologize that you experienced these problems at our property. We will definitely be looking into these situations as none of them are acceptable. I hope that if you are back in the area again that you will give us another try as none of the situations you experienced are typical of our establishment.
Stockton, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

If you are not a local resident in New Orleans or live any parts of La I don't recommend staying here for it's location. The hotel was beautiful has everything but a swimming pool. It's great being non smoking hotel and it was very secured with their security system.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
cwsavondale, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Sherri T,

I would like to thank you for your 4 star review and praising our "beautiful hotel" and "security system". I would also like to thank you for giving us 5 stars on Value, Sleep Quality, Rooms, Cleanliness and Service. I see that you mentioned our hotel being a non-smoking hotel, so I assume you were on a non-smoking floor. However, we do offer a limited number of smoking rooms on one wing of one of the floors. However, I am disappointed and sorry to hear that our hotel's suburban New Orleans location did not live up to your expectations. If you ever return to the area and reconsider, we hope to have you back.

Candlewood Suites Avondale/ New Orleans
Cwsavondale@gmail.com

Been to Candlewood Suites Avondale-New Orleans? Share your experiences!