“I didn't stay here but I wish I had!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Mayito

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Larga
Hostal Mayito
You added Hostal Mayito to your Saves list
Playa Larga; Caleton | Ciénaga de Zapata, Playa Larga 0000, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Playa Larga B&B and Inns
dc
“I didn't stay here but I wish I had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

This, along with two or three other places in Caleton, has wonderful views of the sea with a covered porch to eat on and very friendly and helpful staff. Lovely place. It was unfortunately fully booked during my stay, but I would recommend it highly from my visit there, touring the place, and having drinks on the rooftop deck with people staying there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hostal Mayito for 4 nights in Feb. 2014. The staff are all very friendly, and the place spotless clean. We ate all our meals there as there are few restaurants close by, and the food was excellent and plentiful! (The fish was particularly good!)

There are 4 rooms on an upper floor (the family lives on the lower main floor) with guests all sharing a very pleasant terrace which doubles for eating. Rooms 1 and 4 are the newest and are bigger with more privacy, I would def ask for one of those. We were in room 2 which offered little privacy and was a bit noisy one evening when guests lingered after dinner chatting ... But not much problem.

Mayito himself speaks excellent English, and can arrange anything you need! Bird watching guide, history tour (this is on the Bay of Pigs), snorkelling etc. Unfortunately for us, he was away for most of our stay there, but his lovely wife did her best with her limited English and our even more limited Spanish. Their 18 year old son led us on a history tour in a 54 Chevy, which was very interesting, and his English and knowledge is very good.

The beach is just down the street, and I particularly enjoyed watching village life pass by from the varander. If you are looking for a cosy interaction in a Cuban home, this is not it, but if you want a clean and friendly place to stay while you explore the area then I highly recommend Hostel Mayito!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 4 are the newer rooms - larger, quieter and with more privacy.
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

A beautiful house with a small family running this business with a hotel-like professionalism. The owner's speak english and spanish which makes it easy to communicate for most guests. The rooms were clean
The house was also only less than 5 minutes walk to a quite beach. And the owner's also offers bike to borrow.
The food was one of the best we had in Cuba, especially Seafood which is the house's speciality.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Just back from a trip to Cuba and have jumped right on the internet to sing the praises of Mayito and his lovely family and staff. He makes everything so easy, the trips to go snorkelling and bird watching were fantastic. I had the unfortunate timing to be going snorkelling on a day that Mayito couldn't come with me. Instead he gave me rental of the gear for free and told me how to get to the best spot for just a couple of CUCs. The meals were fantastic, the lobster especially was a highlight. Breakfast too was superb. The only drawback is that his accommodation is not on the sea itself but its a minor misgiving as you can have a couple of miles of carribean beach to yourself within 70 metres of your bedroom door

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We were traveling by bicycle through Cuba. On the way to Playa Larga we stayed two nights in the Hostal Mayito. Mercedes and Mario are very friendly and helpfully people. And we enjoyed the dinner and the breakfast with a lot of fresh fruits :-)). We also enjoyed snorkling in Punta Perdiz, about 11km west of Playa Giron. We suggest this Casa particular and we would visit this place again.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

short version:
My wife and I have been to many Casas in Cuba and Mayito and his family have a Casa that is definitely among the best. The food, wow, the food - great presentation, great taste, great quantity! The snorkelling trip was awesome! The room was very nice and comfortable. And the hosts were wonderful - Mayito and his wife were extremely hospitable.
I almost forgot to mention the beach is really close (400 metre walk from the Casa) and is quite nice - the water is extremely beautiful from this beach! There was almost no one on the beach - we had it to ourselves.

Long version:
The food at Hostal Mayito was fantastic!
Breakfast was the most unique we have experienced in Cuba - they had different items to accent the meal like: homemade chocolate pudding, a flan, a fabulous french toast that seemed to be soaked in honey, etc!! Along with the usuals: eggs, toast or bread, fruit, juice and excellent coffee!
We did not eat lunch here but we did eat lunch on our snorkelling excursion - detailed below.
Dinner was fantastic! The first night we had Red Snapper that was presented by Mayito whole on a plate. He then proceeded to cut the fillets and was careful to point out where there might be bones and he kept that part of the fillet separate. The detail is where Mayito does a GREAT job. The second night's dinner was equally as good and well presented.
Every meal was too large for the two of us to finish.

The snorkelling trip!
It was the first time for both my wife and I. My wife was a little intimidated by the depth of the water so Mayito took us to shallow water to start and we worked our way deeper - I was impressed that my wife had no problems at all - Mayito was very patient. We were in the water for just over an hour and a half. Mayito found lots of details to point out like creatures hiding in the coral - crabs, some fish, a marlin, etc. It was amazing.
Part of the excursion was lunch that was freshly prepared on the beach with almost nothing from the Casa - a true meal of the land and sea! It is definitely worth while to go on the excursion - especially for the price.
The location was WONDERFUL - if you want seclusion, which we did. If you want action and bars, etc, you will not find it in Playa Larga. It is a wonderful place to sit on a quiet beach and not be bothered, or to go on excursions - whether it be to scuba, snorkel or even just site see.

The room!
The room was nicely finished - more so than most places in Cuba. The room had a fridge with drinks, a safe, and hide-away bunk beds on the wall - they were really cool. We are bringing our kids next time for sure! The air conditioner was quiet and really effective - my wife actually had me turn it off at one point because she was cold (it was actually chilly outside that night).

One handy detail was the bikes that Mayito has for the use of the guests - great detail! We used them to boot over to the store to pick up some rum and snacks!

Truly a great Casa - we are going back to Playa Larga and Casa Mayito for sure!

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at there for 4 nights and liked very much.The food,service,location and hostal itself was great place to stay.Mayito can arrange different kind of trips and of course his snorkelling trip with seafood was a day which we´ll remember .The underwaterworld was amazing!There are lots of things to do (la cueva los peces,fishing rio Hatiguanico,cenotes,playa Larga ,sendero Enigma de la rocas,Parque Nacional Ciénaga de Zapata etc.) and next time we`ll gonna stay longer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hostal Mayito? Share your experiences!