“Chocolate indulgence” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Nowra, Australia
“Chocolate indulgence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Very surprising to find a French Chocolatier/Patissier in Langkawi but if you need your sugar fix this is the man to see.

Visited April 2013

Singapore, Singapore
“Very nice French pattiserie + air con”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Great for a post meal dessert or a nice coffee or tea and a cake. They also do regular meals too.

Small, air conditioned, wifi and very different to most places in Langkawi.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Definitely Coming Back for More & More!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is definitely the best pastry shop on the island. Went there after reading great reviews here & was not disappointed at all!
Ordered their croissant, lemon meringue & chocolate mousse. Croissant I have to agree is the best I have ever tasted and so goes on for the lemon meringue & chocolate mousse. Absolutely gorgeous!
Am definitely going back for more... & more!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
australia
“Return for a taste of paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The bakery is still the same, l have tried a new one down near the new plaza, but decided this bakery is better. I had the lemon tart and the strawberry tart both were lovely.
I visited a few days later for there large chocolate ball it was just right with a coffee.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
KUL
“Rude staff. Ants in croissant.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The croissants are among the best in Langkawi. Unfortunately, I had a bad experience here today just barely 10 minutes ago. I bought 2 croissants at about 6pm and only to find out around 10 minutes later that it is infested with ants.

I went back there to get it changed but only 1 croissant left on the rack. When I told the staff that there were ants, the staff (a Malay chap with longhair) said that its just ants. And yes, He is aware that they had ants problem here. Told me very rudely that he could give me my refund of RM 8. I felt that he intentionally said the word RM 8 in malay with a sarcastic tone of voice as though that its just RM 8 and I'm making a fuss out of it.

I'm not an ant eater and why should I be eating any food which is infested with ants??? I even looked at the tray where they place the croissants and other bakery items and to my surprise its full of ants too. No big issue of eating ants but it is questionable where has the ants been too and it could have possibly just finish a delicious meal of carcass.

To the owner of this place: It might just be ants to you but you are making people doubt the hygienic level and cleanliness of your cafe. Please, you are running a F&B outlet. Don't spoil your cafe with rudeness and sarcasm. Just a simple apology from your staff and I wouldn't even be posting this. Not everyone can tolerate rudeness.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
anguilla424, Owner at La Chocolatine, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear kathleentff,

Many thanks for taking time to review your experience at La Chocolatine. Once again I'd like to extend our sincere apologies that your visit didn't meet our usually impeccable standards. In order to respond to your criticism, I'd firstly like to look at some facts regarding your visit.

1) You are indeed correct that our croissants are the best in Langkawi (thanks for the compliment). Our croissants are one of the best sellers and are made onsite by our expert pâtissier every morning. Given their popularity there is a rare occasion whereby they run out.

2) I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that ants are not a sign of poor hygiene. During April, Langkawi transitions from the dry season to a more rainy season. This annual passing of seasons always results in a marked increase in the ant population. Ants naturally favour higher places in order to take shelter. Being very close to Langkawi's beautiful beaches, our Café is a target for these migrating ants. We fight a constant battle with the ants, using natural repellents (such as lemon) to ensure we follow our environmental credence (you'll note that we make every effort to use environmentally friendly consumables).

3) We take cleanliness and hygiene very seriously here at La Chocolatine. We have purposely built a window into our kitchen so that visitors and customers can view our pâtissier and equipment at work. Our fastidious staff ensure our café is kept up to European standards in terms of hygiene and cleanliness. We believe we have the cleanest kitchen and premises in all of Langkawi.

4) Upon returning to our café to air your grievance we immediately offered our sincere apologies and tried to rectify the problem. Once we discovered that our croissants had sold out, we offered a full refund for the cost of croissant that we were not able to provide.

I unfortunately have to take issue with your opinion that our staff were rude. I witnessed the event and completely support my staff and their actions. In my opinion they acted quickly and politely to try and rectify your grievance, apologising profusely (and sincerely) and quickly looking to firstly reassure you, then to refund your purchase.