“The Crown Inn is refurbished and changed ownership” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Crown Inn

and 1 more site!
You added The Crown Inn to your Saves list
The Crown Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Foxhill Lane | Playhatch Nr Reading, Playhatch RG4 9QN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Playhatch B&B and Inns
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“The Crown Inn is refurbished and changed ownership”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Have been to the Crown many times and always loved it but wasnt sure about going back after the comments I had read about the refurbishment and the poor service and average food. I shouldnt have worried. The updated inside is now lighter and has more space. I would rate the food 8 out of 10. The Chicken, Beefburger and Fish and Chips were all good (portion of french fries was small considering it was an extra £2.50 - I counted 15 fries). Deserts were very good, especially the Chocolate Fondant which was perfectly cooked. Service was good (we had waitress who had just started). Ale was excellent. The seating outside has all been updated and extended - it will be great once the weather gets better. I will be going back

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

When I lived a stones throw away from The Crown I was a regular. I loved the food. I returned after four years (moved out of the area) travelling and hour and a half on a Friday night to get there. All I can say it is not the Crown that I once knew and loved. The food now has a South African theme, I struggled to find anything on the menu that was appealing. I ordered a Durban Chicken & Prawn Curry - it was like water and absolutely no flavour at all, it was bland only one large prawn, bits of minuscule pieces of chicken and quite tasteless. I had to add large amounts of salt and pepper to eat it. The Basmanti rice was advertised as an accompanying dish - was like bullets hard and the tinniest portion of rice I have ever been served with a meal it was barely a egg-cup full. We ordered drinks and then waited, and waited and waited. In a nutshell I would describe the new style Crown as all style and no substance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Berks, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our first visit since the refurb. Good food, good service, charming helpful staff.

But The Crown has lost some of its charm and character. The conservatory where you could look out over the herb garden is no more and although overall the redesign has been well executed, the room/area where we sat had very loud wallpaper – a repeat pattern of outline drawings of a heron and some rather tacky display cases showing an odd collection of objects.

Will we come back? ... Yes probably. But I would not sit in the same room again.

It would be great if smokers were kept as far away from the entrance as possible.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My first visit since it has reopened, we have been eating there since 1988. The light and airy conservatory has gone - its now a bar. The decor is dark, nice and cozy in the winter but would feel stuffy in the summer.
The menu didn't look very interesting, I struggled to find anything which I wanted to eat - who wants to eat a fishcake SANDWICH?
However the food which I ordered was very good, portions were a good size and the food was very well presented and tasty.
There is an emphasis on South African food - which I like, but I don't think that it works in Berkshire.
The service was pleasant and helpful, however it wasn't busy.
There are loads of tables and chairs outside but if they were all full I don't think that the restaurant would cope with the volume.
The Crown has lost its feeling of individuality and now feels as though it is part of a chain (which it is) - it doesn't even have a crown on the pub sign any more. The Reading area has loads of restaurants which are part of chains - we didn't need another.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Telford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Very well presented hotel a unique accommodation. Sick of the same old corporate soulless hotel? Yes me too, thats why I tried the Crown Inn and I am very glad I did. I am a road warrior that appreciates excellent service, and when you visit the crown you get that with one of the best steaks Ive ever had! My room was very clean and very cool. If im in the area again I will choose the Crown every time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reading England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Since our visit last year it has had a refurb. Looks very nice, the food is still the same good quality, not cheap but well presented. Nice to be able to sit outside in March in the newly made over outside area. It must be very popular as the car park was completely full and we had to park on the driveway. I would say if you are going for lunch give yourself plenty of time as the service is quite slow (due to sheer volume!).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We had dinner here with friends recently having not visited the Crown for some 3 years. Our last visit had left us feeling that the restaurant was overpriced, and nothing special. Things have changed a bit since then.

The place has had something of a makeover recently (re-opened 1 March) and the bar and restaurant have been very tastefully decorated providing a spacious restaurant area and a couple of more intimate bar areas, comfortably furnished and integrating nicely with the original building. Apparently there has been a change of management too.

The menu is widely varied including most of the traditional offerings along with some interesting South African inspired dishes. We found service to be friendly and efficient, even on this particularly busy Saturday evening. All our meals were perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. The Crown boasts a talented chef who balances flavours perfectly. On leaving, we were asked about our experience with genuine interest, although we were unable to find anything to criticise.

Expect to pay £30-40 per head - and it's well worth it. We recently reviewed the George & Dragon in Swallowfield which charges about the same, but there is no comparison. The Crown is in a different class altogether.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!