“Best place to stay in General Luna!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kermit Surf Resort Siargao

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in General Luna
Kermit Surf Resort Siargao
You added Kermit Surf Resort Siargao to your Saves list
Brgy 5, General Luna, Mindanao 8419, Philippines (Formerly Kermit Surf & Dive EcoCamp Siargao)   |
Vernon, Canada
“Best place to stay in General Luna!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I 31 and 35, came here for one week for part of our 3 week philippine honeymoon. We payed for the Guided free surf package- 1 week of surfari with accommodation, for the both of us. Appx about $400-500 each.

Firstly, since our flight was cancelled and we lost a day, the owner immidiately let us know that we would not be charged for that night we missed and gave us some money back, which was a bonus, as he really didn't have to do that since we couldnt even give him any notice.

We got our own little hut that had a bed, a desk, closet and ensuite bathroom with hot water ( never went cold).
The package included our accomodation, pick up from the boat, our own motorcycle for the week to explore, a day of island hopping, they also took us to some caves one afternoon, a huge breakfast every morning, and a local surfer each ( for my husband and I) to take us everyday to a surf spot appropriate to our surfing levels, and give us lessons.

The package also included so much more than just that. The common area at the accomodation was a great place to sit and relax in a hammack and read, have a drink, serve lunch and dinner with GREAT FOOD, good music ( never too loud, or obnoxious). There is about 15 people who can stay at the resort I think MAX. So there is always good company to meet from around the world.
Not everyone there was surfing, there were some couples where one partner never surfed, and still stayed there and had plently to see and do with the motorcycle.

I have been to other surf camps where you pay for a week for something similar, but usually you get an instructor for a crowd of 5-10 people to share, and I never really improved.

WIth kermitrs you are guaranteed to become a better surfer than when you left. I surf about once a year or so for a week, so I cant really get any good, or move along from a long board.

Having my own personal coach all week ( a local surfer) was amazing.
Babel was my coach, and Carlito was my husbands. After talking with them, we find out they are essentially the best surfers in the philippines and some local coaches surf competitively around the world- you are getting qulaity, not just any local who can surf. They picked us up every morning and were never late, we would double on motorcycles and strap on the boards and go to which ever spot they thought would be best.

I dont know about others, but paddling out can wear me out, and Im usually so tired trying to catch waves that you end up all day just paddling and not getting many waves. Having a one on one coach makes you so much more efficient. Firstly, they showed me wear to paddle out where there was a channel through a reef so I didn't get as tired, then, they would tell me which waves to go for and I pretty much caught every single one ! So I could actually practice standing and getting better at standing and riding the wave before it breaks. There were so many waves I would have paddled for and missed and wasted energy on if it weren't for Babel.
Once the week was ending, he had me surfing where more people were and where the waves were bigger, and I was anxious about hitting others as I still dont have much control. The locals all seemed to be friends in the water and let me take my turn with all the others getting one to one lessons for waves. I felt very safe after seeing how organized they all seemed about keeping their students safe and litterally calling the waves of who was taking what.

I would have never gone on waves that big otherwise and with a small crowd
I was so so so happy with my experince and feel I actually improved.
I highly recommend this place for begineer surfers like me!! As for the exprienced good surfers, they were taken to other locations, and I cant speak for that, but they always seemed happy when we would meet up for food and drinks later in the day.
I would go back in an instant!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've had the great fortune to have traveled extensively over the last 15 years and I have no problems saying that Kermit's was the best place i've had the opportunity to stay so far. If your looking to surf you won't find a better place to stay you will have to put zero effort into finding the best wave and zero effort into organizing boats or anything else to get there as Gianni does all that for you. No one on the island puts as much work into making sure their guests are headed to the right wave to surf as Gianni does and it is true no one makes better pasta than he does!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had the pleasure and opportunity to visit Siargao for (only!) 10 days and I was glad I got to stay at Kermits. From the moment you arrive, Gianni (the owner and manager) and his wife Theresa make you feel welcome and right at home. He lives right on the property and he's the guy you go to should you need anything at all (motorbikes, food, directions, advice, recommendations, etc.). The resort has free wifi, motorbike rentals, surf board rentals, locals you can hire as guides to take you surfing and/or provide lessons, boat rentals to visit surf spots and other nearby islands, and some of the best food you will find on the island hands down (amazing pastas, local Filipino dishes, fried snacks, and FREE breakfast every morning). What I was most surprised and pleased with was the friendly, communal vibe that was part of the resort. I came to know everyone who was staying there, as well as the staff and locals, and everyone couldn't be nicer or more pleasant and fun to be around. My only reservation with our accommodations was that our unit didn't come with air conditioning but luckily the rainy season kept the temperatures manageable for the most part. I'll always remember the surf trips to Daku and G1, jungle speed, Lechon, poker nights, lounging in the hammocks, jungle disco, pasta carbonara, san migs and tanduay, and jukjuk! Anyways if you couldn't tell already if you plan to visit Siargao I highly recommend Kermit's and I hope to be back as soon as I can, salama!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Been there for one week, too bad we coudn't stay more!

The rooms are very cozy, clean and for a valuable price. Big breakfast included. Everyday tasty fresh fish cooked on the grill. The owner Gianni and Therisa are extremely helpful and nice. Perfect spot for surfing, both for beginners and pros. Everyday there's a trip: surfing, island hopping, snorkeling, impossible to get bored! Motorbikes and surfboard can be rented directy by the Resort. A ride around the island with a motorbike is highly reccomended. 5 min by foot to a crystal-clear sea, perfect to chill out under a coconut palm.

Unbeatable price/value. Kermit is a must in Siargao!

Definitely going back there!

Pat & Marc

• Stayed January 2013
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just got back from a 5 day stay at Kermit on my very first trip to Siargao. It just seemed like there is a beam of sunshine that's focused on this particular spot of the island as even during the cloudiest of days, I found the place to be warm and inviting. I guess the layout of the place, the interplay of colors, the greenery and the design of the structures all contributed to this effect.

Very noticeable upon arrival was Gianni's smile which never fails to make guests feel welcome. The staff (and I'm very much tempted to write down all their names here) was very friendly and accommodating. The food, simply great in taste, presentation and value for money! I definitely appreciated the effort they took to keep the place tidy round the clock! As I was there for some "me" time, I loved the fact that the music was kept to the background and was not competing with the conversation the guests were having or disturbing guests who preferred some quiet time. Blaring music is one of my peeves when in public places. I so loved "my" nipa hut with its very own hammock and lounging chair! On a bit of a down side, I came when some construction was being done on my side of the property so siesta time never quite happened. Three things on my wish list to make the place perfect would be for a bedside reading lamp, screen doors and windows to keep the pesky mosquitoes out and a small pool for people like me who are just too lazy to go to the beach.

With a very progressive management and committed staff in place, I am so looking forward to hearing great things happening over at Kermit's! Wishing you all much success!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Simply put this place is fabulous.
The family room was perfect, always cleaned every morning and bed made, even clothes tidied away for you! Breakfast was included and was substantial. The menu otherwise was great. Varied, so tasty and cheap (only re. price). No need to go elsewhere. The bar/restaurant is a great place to chill out, play poker with the other guests and staff or to congregate ready for a days surfing or whatever you have planned. The owners are lovely and super helpful, and the staff so attentive. You feel like you're all just a big family.
You can be as adventurous or as lazy as you like. It's perfect. Could've stayed months, like many there.
A must in Siargao! Seriously...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I just spent about a week here and trust me, I could have stayed months.
I stayed in one of the cottages, which was big and comfortable and really clean.
The staff is awesome and the Gianni, the owner, makes all the guests feel instantly like one of the family. The food is amazing (everything from the local dishes to the pasta). The surf instructors are all awesome and will help you find the right surfing spots based on your skill level. I loved loved loved this place and am already planning a trip back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kermit Surf Resort Siargao? Share your experiences!