Beware - standard rooms are NOTHING like the premium rooms! Don't believe the website.
We had a group of 7 and we booked the PREMIUM rooms back in May. We confirmed this reservation with Melissa one week prior to arriving and she confirmed it. We were to have the 3rd floor closest to the river - nicest rooms with slate bathroom. When we arrived, our rooms were not what we reserved. We were given very dark, spartan rooms, the same as a state park would have, dark walls, 1 piece shower enclosure and occasionally no hot water, away from the river. Our guide tried to get his boss to fix the problem, but they would not honor their commitment. The premium rooms remained empty the first night we were there. I had asked our guide if we could at least have them one night and he said no.
Come to find out, the office staff "bumped" us for a group of 18 Microsoft people. They got our rooms. They floated in the next day. They basically let this group take over the lodge. After they arrived, they strung electrical cords all over the public areas to play loud music, they drank all night, one guy almost passed out in the garden next to our table (someone had to drag him out of the garden) and someone vomited all over the public toilet. It was still there the next morning. They took over all the common areas so we barely had a place to sit for dinner. We could not use the dining hall, the hammocks, the balcony. We simply had a small area that we were confined to.
The response from Melissa at RiosTropicales to my complaints was that the staff "had a different perspective" and I feel like she is calling me a liar. Microsoft people ruined the evening for us but RiosTropicales doesn't care. There was no apology or even acknowledgement about giving away our rooms and there was no apology or acknowledgement about us having to tolerate Microsoft's behavior. There was no acknowledgement about the deceitful website photos regarding their rooms.
Would I go back to this place or use Rios Tropicales? Probably not - you can't trust the office staff and everything has to go thru them.
They did refund $35 per person for their "mistake". MISTAKE! Yea, right!
The guides, however, were fabulous and did everything they could to help us have a great time. I have no complaints about them at all. It is sad that they work for this sorry outfit, though!
Be prepared - the office staff doesn't care about small groups. They only care about the larger groups. They also could care less about your complaints!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our multi-day trips treat you to an exceptional adventure vacation experience combining rafting on the Pacuare with a stay at our remote "Eco-Lodge", tucked in the rainforest on the banks of the river. A trip of pure magic, unsurpassed beauty, wildlife and ravishing rapids; Pacuare is the quintessential tropical river. Along its course lay several densely vegetated gorges, which shelter, jaguars, ocelots, monkeys, sloths and an incredible variety of birds. Also found within these gorges, is some of the best whitewater in the world. "at its lodge, hammock-filled, thatch-roofed huts, offering dorm and honeymoon style rooms, surround an even larger thatch-roofed lodge net to a gurgling waterfall linking the huts to the lodge’s open-walled dining room, bar and reading room are bamboo-railed boardwalks that make wearing anything but river sandals sacrilegious. Don’t get so comfortable in the reading room’s hammock; however, that you miss the cocktail-hour bell; in true jungle fashion, all apres-paddle drinks are served in coconut shells." (Paddler magazine article, jan./feb.1999, edb). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Rios Tropicales Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rios Tropicales Hotel Siquirres
- Rios Tropicales Lodge Costa Rica/Siquirres