“Two day Paucare River...fantastic !!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Rios Tropicales Lodge to your Saves list
Rios Tropicales Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Pacuare River, Siquirres, Costa Rica   |
Dunedin, Florida, United States
“Two day Paucare River...fantastic !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Went on two day Paucare River rafting adventure and simply can't say enough positives. From the time we got to the operations center and ate the delicious breakfast to the final lunch when we returned, we were treated with great service and experiences. Jorge was our guide and did an outstanding job taking us off the beaten path stopping several times, letting us fully experience the river.....starting with jumping into the rapids! The lodging was more then sufficient; we were only in the room to sleep because we spent the evening eating the fresh fruit and playing cards with other travelers. The second day was full of aggressive rapids with fewer stops. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this excursion and recommend it to anyone who is adventurous but isn't quite ready to go out on their own on a relatively rugged jungle river.

Room Tip: No A/C but you don't need it.....you only need the room to sleep and store stuff so it really is...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thanks for your review. The multiday trips allow us to have more time enjoying sidehikes and spending more quality time on the river and it's surroundings. Keep checking for updates on new adventures from Rios Tropicales Lodge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I could have stayed for days looking out on the Pacuare from my hammock swing! Being the non-adventure seeker of the family (the Mom of boys in their 20"s) I was not looking forward to this part of the trip where we were to river raft down to our lodge which had no accessability to any roads. It poured the entire rafting trip and dripping wet we rounded a bend and there was this GEM built into the side of the river and the mountain. We had a deluxe room which was amazing with a beautiful slate bathroom, open air mesh windows and an incredable view of the river. The rushing sound of the water musically lulled me to sleep and I experienced one of the most peaceful nights slumber which will be remembered for a long time. The downfall was that we only stayed one night - you have to go for a minimum of two and plan on absorbing the tranquility of the surroundings for an extra day or more. The only negatives were 1) no hot water and 2) While we were sleeping, it rained all night and the river rose a foot making it non-navigatible, forcing us to hike out straight up a mountain and then approximately 2 miles in knee deep mud. Not for wimps, yet I'd go back in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are the best especially with a river view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales Lodge, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Regi B, Appreciating your comments about your experience with us on the Overnight trip to the Pacuare River. Specially when there is need to improve on aspects, like no hot water, which we have always responded promptly. Sleeping at the Lodge with the "3D sound of water" is marvelous! Let us know next time you decide to come down.

Fernando Esquivel
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We stopped at Costa Rica on a cruise to Panama Canal. Coach journey from cruise terminal was over an hour and felt like 10 minutes! The guide on the coach was excellent, funny, relaxed and informal. (He was also our skipper on the water)
On arrival at the centre, there was a welcoming cup of excellent coffee, before heading to the river.
The whitewater rafting was fun, exhilerating! and the scenry and bird/wildlife magnificient.

On return to the centre, there was a superb lunch with a range of food to suit even the fussy eaters!

A huge thank you to the staff for a fabulous, friendly and exciting experience, and the additional cd is worth every penny (delivered to my door back home in Scotland within 3 weeks!
Don't miss the opportunity!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Chevy Chase, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

When we got to the operation center for our rafting trip it was raining. We were told that the water level was too high to raft into the lodge, but we could hike in. We agreed to do so...our first mistake. The van took us to a dirt road. We then changed to a pickup truck older than any of you. We drove for about 20 minutes and were dropped...nowhere, where we began our hike. The first 20 minutes or so was on a washed out road with mud up to our calves. I was wearing tivas which stuck in the muck and slid off my feet. One of the guides took off his shoes and gave them to me. I gratefully accepted. We then found ourselves at the top of a path that led down, down, down to the river. 750 steps later with a rope bridge crossing and many ups and downs, we arrived at the lodge.

It was quite nice! Our private rooms overlooked the river and with a hot shower behind us we felt terrific. It was still raining. We had a good dinner, retired early and looked forward to the next day hiking to waterfalls, swimming in clear pools and generally enjoying the spectacular scenery. It was still raining.

The next morning the river was higher than the day before but we set out on the planned hike. Did I mention that we were the only people at this lodge that can accommodate over 100? (We later found out that all the other groups had been cancelled). Anyway, it had stopped raining and we set out. Thirty minutes into the walk it started raining again. Downpour, Buckets, Torrential. We continued on hoping to reach the waterfall, but the bridge was washed away and the feeder streams were overflowing, so we turned around arriving back at the lodge drenched, but still in good spirits. We were still hoping to raft the gorge the next day.

Now the condensed version: Night fell. Rain increased. Trees fell. Paths washed away. More rain, More rain. Generator failed. No water. More rain. Tree fell. Limbs pierced side of cabin next to ours. Snakes fled their holes. We spent the night thinking we would be washed away in a mud slide or devoured by snakes fleeing the deluge.

Morning came. Obviously the river had risen so there was to be no rafting. The only way out was to hike back up the mountain, another 750 steps, long paths, downpour, mud. At the top of the trail, horses were waiting to take us to the paved road. Seems that the dirt road had washed away and the only way out was on horseback.

Room Tip: Check the weather report before you go
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I did the 3 day trip with 2 nights on the river. Was given a 7.30 time which was changed to 7.10 the day before pickup. They arrived at 8am saying it was because of the traffic in San Jose. I guess they weren't expecting there to be traffic in San Jose during rush hour. Went to the operations center and had an omelette, juice and coffee for breakfast plus fresh fruits. Packed up for the rafting trip. They have a shop where you can buy things like Chums to keep your glasses in place and other things for the river. Everyone was transported down to the river where we put on life jackets and helmets and were given safety instructions before setting off. There was 4 people plus the guide in each boat. The day trippers I think are usually 6 per boat. Went through some small rapids and stopped for lunch on the side of the river. Went up a small stream with small swimming pools and a waterfall while the guides prepared lunch. Lunch was sandwiches (you put on what you want) and fresh fruits. (pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe) After lunch we rafted for about another hour and arrived at the lodge. The rest of the day was free for the 3 day people. I think the 2 day people did the ziplining and a hike. They have hammicks there and a happy hour at 5. They had a punch drink the first day and pina colada's the second. Beer and wine was available for an extra charge next door. I was in the $355 cabins for 2 nights. They were sort of like Swiss Family Robinson and back from the river. There was a noisy stream running behind the cabins. There was a more fancy lodge closer to the river. It is not available on the rios tropicales website as far as I can tell. The people I know that stayed there booked through an outside tour agency. If you want the nicest lodge (made out of logs instead of wooden boards and closer to the river) then you should inquire with them before booking to make sure that you will get that. The lights in the bathroom of my room didn't work and there were no hot showers. IT was one of the rooms with private bathroom. The food was very good there. It was more tourist food than costa rican. I think it did have rice and beans the one morning but there was also sausages and scrambled eggs and fresh fruit and coffee. Coffee was ready an hour before breakfast. The second day had bacon instead of sausage. The scrambled eggs were very good. They were not the typical costa rican scrambled eggs that seem to be beat while they are being cooked. The one lunch at the lodge was a vegetarian spagetti and was good but probably my least favorite meal. Dinner the first night was chicken mixed with rice and was good. The second night was lightly breaded tilapia and was also very good. Overall, the food was some of the best I had in costa rica. Did a couple of hikes the second day. One to a natural waterslide and the other to a neat waterfall with a swimming pool beneath it. The 2 day people did this also so you get more time to relax on the 3 day but don't really do more. On the last morning, we did the ziplining. You can only do this once, I was told. There are 4 ziplines. It is a very small course. Worth $20 maybe. The last line goes by the river and was the best one. After that we rafted downstream to another waterfall and swimming place. We were there about 5 minutes and then left when more rafters from Aventuras Naturales showed up. We went downstream only abit and then the guides waited for Aventuras to come because they wanted to shoot the next stretch of rapids in a larger group. After that we waited on the river side for 30 mins waiting for the day trippers to catch up to us. Had lunch abit further downstream with the daytrippers. Then finished the final stretch of river. Went through a nice gorge. Most people jumped out of the boat there. There was one place where the guide took the raft through the rapids backwards which was fun. Another place, the guide kept spinning the raft through the rapids which was also fun. Finished around 3.30 to 4 pm and back to the rafting center. Took a cold shower and changed. The bus for overnighters with luggage room went to La Fortuna. I was the only overnight person going back to San Jose so I was put on the day tripper bus. Had to squeeze my suitcase down the aisle of the bus and then just leave it in the aisle when I sat down. Bus left around 4.30pm and came into San Jose around 6pm. I booked a place west of the airport that they don't go to but they told me before I booked that they would drop me at Hampton Inn by the airport. The guide told me he would leave me at the Marriot instead and I could take a taxi from there. The bus didn't get there until around 7.30. I got a taxi from there which ended up costing double what I figured. The Marriot was farther away then I expected and the taxi driver liked to pretend he didn't know where he was going so he could run up the meter. So basically it was a good rafting trip but not very restful after the transfer out. I think the $99 for 1 day is good value and $70 for the 2nd night is good value. The 1st night on the river for an extra $186 is overpriced.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

My husband and I spent 3 days/2nights with Rios Tropicales. The rafting on the Pacuare was awesome! There is nothing like rafting into the middle of nowhere, pulling off to the river bank and helping unload supplies for the next couple nights. The lodge is beautiful. We hiked, swam in waterfalls and rafted. The Pacuare is a really beautiful river. The staff (especially Ronald and Tito) is awesome. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions or for more information. We had a blast!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

We took the three day trip and stayed two nights at the Rios Tropicales Lodge. We were very happy that we didn't take the two day trip, because our extra day of hiking was our favorite part. Our guides were wonderful people. Not only were they helpful, but they were truly people we became friends with. Albert and Ronald were our guides and I just can't say enough nice things about them.

The lodge is quiet...well kinda. The jungle is very loud with all the bugs and such, but you won't hear any televisions, or bustling city life type of noises. The value of the trip is unreal. They fed us everday....there was a happy hour every evening and they were nice enough to make non-alcholic drinks for me. Our rooms were clean. We truly explored the jungle with our guides. We swam in five different waterfall pools. Amazing. We would do it all over again.

I was worried about rafting....because I had never rafted before, but it was fine. Just keep rowing and it turns out just fine. Older people will struggle if you aren't mobile......and the hikes were strenuous. I was in shape and they were moderately challenging.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Rios Tropicales Lodge? Share your experiences!