“Great place to be your travel base!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club

You added Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club to your Saves list
Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huntingdon Road, Bar Hill CB23 8EU, England (Formerly Cambridgeshire Moat House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Dunstable
“Great place to be your travel base!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel with nice staff but it needs air con in the rooms, I'd expect this as standard in a 4 star hotel but apparently they don't. I found the service to be pretty good but the after hours bar service was somewhat lacking (I was with a stag party) and they didn't want to offer 24hr room service as advertised, took a little cajoling.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a five day break at this hotel, one of many breaks we take throughout the year travelling with a coach group of over 55s. I have done many reviews on the various hotels and always try to be fair but constructive with my comments. We were very impressed upon arrival to be greeted by Sumith (I believe he is the deputy manager) a very helpful gentleman who leads by example a very pleasant and helpful team, very welcome tea or coffee was offered as soon as we arrived, then having completed our registration forms we made our way to our rooms, porterage is always arranged by our coach company so our luggage was very quickly delivered to the room. We were also very impressed with our twin room, very well appointed and clean, there is a slight negative here in that the hotel is situated on the A14 so our room was rather noisy from traffic, this was no problem during the day but we did have to keep our windows closed throughout the night which during the warm weather was not really ideal, however I understood from a number of other guests that there were many quieter rooms in other areas of the hotel. The service in the dining room for the evening meals was as good as one could expect considering the number of guests, there were many other groups there so one must expect a certain amount of delay but the staff did their best to satisfy our needs. The staff were all very cheerful and efficient in the dining area but I would make a special mention of a young gentleman I believe was called Dan (although his name badge stated he was Alex !!!) a touch of Rodney known as Dave here (Only fools and Horses!!) this young man mostly looked after us and was always most helpful.There was not a great choice on the menu but I do know from previous hotels that in order to keep our costs down our coach company do only provide a low budget figure for our meals so we cannot really expect wonders and we never have to pay four or five star prices for our holidays. The breakfast was buffet style and there was something to suit everybody needs, the negative here though was although there is a very flexible time scale for breakfast, lots of people seemed to arrive at the same time so often it was quite chaotic with seating etc. It was difficult for the coach group to be flexible as we had to be ready at a certain time for our tours. We found the drinks at the bar to be very expensive but then with this type of hotel they usually are. All in all a very enjoyable holiday for us and we would certainly use this hotel again should we be in the area, but perhaps would ask for a room at the other side.

Room Tip: Try to book a room away from the A14 !!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Came here for lunch with a customer, sat outside, very bland and in need of redecorating and updating. Very nice lady behind the bar, that's all there is to say really. I had finished my review at the last full stop, apparently not enough characters!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

Pontefract, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The staff were very helpful especially when I asked questions about how to operate items in the room. Had breakfast there and the restaurant team were also extremely guest orientated. The rooms are looking dated and ready for refurb when they should dispose of those pungent smelling old fashioned bed throws. Wardrobe was also ready for the recycling shop. The staff made the place better for me.

Room Tip: I had a room with air con thankfully as the A14 traffic noise with the window open can drown out con...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed here overnight 23 July 2014. This is not a 4 star hotel. No air con in room, stains on carpet, flaky paint, bathroom tiny and extractor fan not working. Put together two tiny single beds and noticed crumbs and dirt after moved bed. I am glad my company paid for this, I would look for other alternatives as even free it was hardly worth the money.

• Stayed July 2014
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Pmh3, I am sorry to read of your disappointments with the room allocated. You will find a large majority of 4 star rated hotels do not have air conditioning within the UK, but this is something we are reviewing in line with our next phase of capital plans. I do hope you brought any dis-satisfaction to the attention of the reception team or duty manager to enable us to discuss with you whilst residing in the hotel and pin point any decorating needs to the room you occupied.

I assure you of our attention to this matter and your comments have been shared with the team.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Regards

Shaun
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel on occasion over the past few years, and while some things have improved (such as the overall cleanliness), the place lacks the attention needed to bring it up to scratch. The gym and pool area were good - it's a nice deep pool so good to swim; sauna, steam room and hot tub were all working well. Changing rooms rather cramped and unloved. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, reasonable range of tea, coffee biscuits etc. The breakfast selection was better than when I last stayed 2 years ago. The hotel is easy to access from the major routes into Cambridge and had plenty of parking space near the main entrance. My only 2 problems were ones I'd encountered previously. Firstly, they offer free wifi, but it's intermittent, sometimes not connecting at all, and at other times cutting out after a few minutes (of simple email, not trying to download a film or anything needing serious bandwidth). Several other guests complained about this when I was checking out, even though the hotel claims 'to have routers on each floor'. The main problem was lack of staff. Checking in on a Sunday evening I arrived just after a party of foreign golfers, who needed lots of attention with passports, translation etc - there was only one receptionist available so a long queue built up. Other members of staff seemed to be in the reception area, but when I asked about getting someone over to help, I was told 'Sorry, I'm not on reception'. The hotel was booked through a central agency, so I wasn't paying personally, but the rates didn't strike me as particularly good value, given the distance from central Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask to be near a wifi router for the best chance of a good signal.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here on Saturday 19 July prior to a family party in the area. The hotel is a classic modern Business hotel with golf course attached. We had an upgrade for an extra £30 to one of the Executive King Rooms which was large and with very efficient air conditioning. Room 204 on the Ground Floor. We had requested a room on the first floor when booking and were offered an exchange but stuck with this room as it was quiet. It was one of the hottest evenings of the year so far so the aircon was very welcome. I did notice quite a few people complaining as the basic rooms do not have aircon and the windows only tilt open so the air circulation must have been awful.

Some of the promised offerings for the Executive package were missing. We requested and got the bathrobes which were still in their plastic bags from the laundry. Alas, we never got the promised cookies! The room itself was clean but the empty used beer glass outside the room on the hall carpet and a used breakfast tray stayed there until the following morning.

The swimming pool was good and the surrounding areas clean. The steam room was lovely. Staff in the Leisure Centre were friendly and helpful.

A general comment about the staff: There were many trainees and they were all very willing if inexperienced. One very notable issue with the hotel was lack of staff. We found out that some were working 12 hour plus shifts. At one point in the early evening there was a bit of a fracas between a Hen Party and a group of golfers as there was one person serving in the upstairs bar and the queue for drinks was 3 deep. The golfers were using the outside area overlooking the golf course and, every time they finished their drinks, they would leave them and move to a clean table. We saw them move 3 times. ~Unfortunately they were smoking in the non-smoking area and were very loud. The staff were too busy to clean up and the whole effect was icky. This was a pity because the outside area on the first floor, overlooking the golf course has a lot of potential and could be so much better.

We had a quiet table in the Bistro area for dinner and were very well looked after by the Deputy Manager, Sumith Alahakoon and his staff. We did have a 25 minute wait when seated before our order was taken but things ran smoothly after that. As we were on the Dinner B&B package we had an allowance of £22 per person towards the meal. This covered a starter and main course each and we paid extra for the wine. Having seen previous comments about the food I was not expecting much but, actually, it was very good. My seabass was beautifully cooked and the homemade mackerel pate delicious. My hubby's pulled pork burger was tasty but rather dry. Sumith knows his wines and there was a reasonable selection. This is something he is hoping to expand in the future as he has experience in various hotels around the world and specialises in wine. It was noticeable that when things got very busy in the restaurant, Sumith was scurrying about serving customers and helping his staff. Definitely leading by example!

Checkout was polite but I spotted that we had been overcharged as the difference between the set price for dinner and wine etc had been paid by credit card the night before but still managed to appear on the bill. I had my receipt as proof but it was an awkward 5 minutes and should not have happened.

In conclusion ,I feel all the staff are trying their best in an understaffed and very busy hotel.
The hotel has 4 stars, at present I would give it 3.5 and, easily, a 4 if they could sort some of the obvious problems out.

Would I stay again? Probably – just to see if things improve a bit. We did get a good night’s sleep and dinner and breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the upgraded rooms. They are big and quiet with efficient airconditioning. 204 fac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!