“Not the best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club

You added Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club to your Saves list
Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huntingdon Road, Bar Hill CB23 8EU, England (Formerly Cambridgeshire Moat House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“Not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel on occasion over the past few years, and while some things have improved (such as the overall cleanliness), the place lacks the attention needed to bring it up to scratch. The gym and pool area were good - it's a nice deep pool so good to swim; sauna, steam room and hot tub were all working well. Changing rooms rather cramped and unloved. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, reasonable range of tea, coffee biscuits etc. The breakfast selection was better than when I last stayed 2 years ago. The hotel is easy to access from the major routes into Cambridge and had plenty of parking space near the main entrance. My only 2 problems were ones I'd encountered previously. Firstly, they offer free wifi, but it's intermittent, sometimes not connecting at all, and at other times cutting out after a few minutes (of simple email, not trying to download a film or anything needing serious bandwidth). Several other guests complained about this when I was checking out, even though the hotel claims 'to have routers on each floor'. The main problem was lack of staff. Checking in on a Sunday evening I arrived just after a party of foreign golfers, who needed lots of attention with passports, translation etc - there was only one receptionist available so a long queue built up. Other members of staff seemed to be in the reception area, but when I asked about getting someone over to help, I was told 'Sorry, I'm not on reception'. The hotel was booked through a central agency, so I wasn't paying personally, but the rates didn't strike me as particularly good value, given the distance from central Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask to be near a wifi router for the best chance of a good signal.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here on Saturday 19 July prior to a family party in the area. The hotel is a classic modern Business hotel with golf course attached. We had an upgrade for an extra £30 to one of the Executive King Rooms which was large and with very efficient air conditioning. Room 204 on the Ground Floor. We had requested a room on the first floor when booking and were offered an exchange but stuck with this room as it was quiet. It was one of the hottest evenings of the year so far so the aircon was very welcome. I did notice quite a few people complaining as the basic rooms do not have aircon and the windows only tilt open so the air circulation must have been awful.

Some of the promised offerings for the Executive package were missing. We requested and got the bathrobes which were still in their plastic bags from the laundry. Alas, we never got the promised cookies! The room itself was clean but the empty used beer glass outside the room on the hall carpet and a used breakfast tray stayed there until the following morning.

The swimming pool was good and the surrounding areas clean. The steam room was lovely. Staff in the Leisure Centre were friendly and helpful.

A general comment about the staff: There were many trainees and they were all very willing if inexperienced. One very notable issue with the hotel was lack of staff. We found out that some were working 12 hour plus shifts. At one point in the early evening there was a bit of a fracas between a Hen Party and a group of golfers as there was one person serving in the upstairs bar and the queue for drinks was 3 deep. The golfers were using the outside area overlooking the golf course and, every time they finished their drinks, they would leave them and move to a clean table. We saw them move 3 times. ~Unfortunately they were smoking in the non-smoking area and were very loud. The staff were too busy to clean up and the whole effect was icky. This was a pity because the outside area on the first floor, overlooking the golf course has a lot of potential and could be so much better.

We had a quiet table in the Bistro area for dinner and were very well looked after by the Deputy Manager, Sumith Alahakoon and his staff. We did have a 25 minute wait when seated before our order was taken but things ran smoothly after that. As we were on the Dinner B&B package we had an allowance of £22 per person towards the meal. This covered a starter and main course each and we paid extra for the wine. Having seen previous comments about the food I was not expecting much but, actually, it was very good. My seabass was beautifully cooked and the homemade mackerel pate delicious. My hubby's pulled pork burger was tasty but rather dry. Sumith knows his wines and there was a reasonable selection. This is something he is hoping to expand in the future as he has experience in various hotels around the world and specialises in wine. It was noticeable that when things got very busy in the restaurant, Sumith was scurrying about serving customers and helping his staff. Definitely leading by example!

Checkout was polite but I spotted that we had been overcharged as the difference between the set price for dinner and wine etc had been paid by credit card the night before but still managed to appear on the bill. I had my receipt as proof but it was an awkward 5 minutes and should not have happened.

In conclusion ,I feel all the staff are trying their best in an understaffed and very busy hotel.
The hotel has 4 stars, at present I would give it 3.5 and, easily, a 4 if they could sort some of the obvious problems out.

Would I stay again? Probably – just to see if things improve a bit. We did get a good night’s sleep and dinner and breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the upgraded rooms. They are big and quiet with efficient airconditioning. 204 fac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I'm sure if you were a guest at a wedding or playing golf this hotel would be sufficient, however for a weekend away in cambridge at the price, I left pretty disappointed. The hotel just feels tired, the bathrooms are old, the bar/lounge area is uninspiring. The front of desk staff were friendly but it was challenging to get through to them on the phone on the two occasions I needed to. As for the leisure facilities, decent size pool but disappointingly the sauna has a broken beam and there is gaps in the steam room door. It's £12 each way into the centre of town which makes this hotel on the pricey side and I would have rather spent the £24 every day contributing to a nicer hotel in the centre of cambridge.

Stayed July 2014
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were booked into the Menzies Cambridge due to a wedding of a niece and the problems started when I booked online and they took payment twice. When I called they were very quick to respond and return the payment but it sounded like a common occurance...if you book online with any Menzies I would recommend checking your bank statement carefully.

Saturday, the day of the wedding was extremely warm and humid and as we walked up to our room ,we turned a corner into the hallway and hit with a wave of heat not unlike getting off an airplane in a humid country. One of the family members also staying, advised us that the rooms didn't have air conditioning and the windows opened approvimately 2 centimetres. It was 29 degrees outside! And, the hotel said they had run out of fans.

We got changed, though we didn't feel like we had freshened up at all as we left the room sweatier than when we arrived. The wedding reception venue was lovely, the food was great and the room was air conditioned! The drinks however were extremely expensive. As it was so hot I ordered a white wine and lemonade it was served in a 250ml wine glass and was approximately 125ml wine and 125ml lemonade. When I looked at the receipt i had been charged £7 for a 250ml glass of wine - when I queried this I was told it was the cheapest way to buy it...this works out to £42 for a bottle of not particularly good wine.

When we went to our room at midnight it was still 24 degrees out and felt like about 40 degrees in our room. As you can imagine, we did not have a good nights sleep. In fact it was one of the most uncomfortable nights I have spent in a hotel in my entire life.

Breakfast was very nice, I ordered some poached eggs which were cooked to perfection and then it was back up to the sweatbox to pack. While checking out, with 3 staff at reception and the chap next to me commented that he had a wonderful, comfortable stay, turning to me he said 'the rooms were very comfortable don't you think' so i said 'No, I don't. I had a terribly uncomfortable night' to which all 3 staff dropped their heads and proceeded to check me out without a word of questioning or apology.

I am sure this hotel is lovely in the winter but there is absolutely no way I would recommend anyone staying there from March to September.

Room Tip: ask if the room has airconditioning or a rarely seen fan!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear kessina25, thank you for leaving us your review and I was sorry to read of your disappointments. The double charge was human error and doesn't happen often and I apologise for it happening.

I know we had the hottest day of the year on Friday reaching 32c, we do have 35 rooms air-conditioned and we are reviewing the further 100 rooms in line with our capital plans - this also includes any bathroom renovations.

In our executive rooms which come with a supplement we do have bottled water and any guest requesting iced water to be sent to their room would always be delivered free of charge but we do not put in rooms as standard as the water would get warm.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the wedding, the weather really made for a great day, but the flip side unfortunately was a very humid night whether in a hotel bedroom or at home. Our windows are restricted to 4 inch opening for health, safety and security reasons.

Thank you for your comments which have been shared with the team.

Regards

Shaun

Travelers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Very close or the A14 but the room I had was quiet none the less. Room is the usual corporate type hotel layout, large comfy bed, over bath shower. The room I had was obviously well used and show the signs but was clean and everything worked, a few marks on the carpets and walls but nothing to horrific.
Buffet type breakfast, seemed to be cheap low quality bulk buy ingredients so nothing to write home about, it was OK.
The room was expensive for what was on offer but I guess that is a supply and demand situation for the area.
I would use the hotel again for its convenient location for the odd night.
The free wifi was not reachable in the room I had and was pretty awful around the reception/lobby area, so do not expect to be able to use it for any functional activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from to he main road if you value peace and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Some of the wedding guests stayed here and I have not heard one bad word about the standards of the hotel.The wedding dinner was absolutely fabulous. Beautifull surroundings,good for photographs and golf.The staff were brilliant especially Surat the manager,what a nice guy he was.The hog later smelled divine and tasted really good.I would recommend this hotel to anyone for holding any function

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear allansussex, thank you for leaving us your review following your event with us and I was so pleased to read that you have a great time with us. I have shared your comments and feedback with Sumith and his team.

We do hope to welcome you back to Cambridge again in the future

Regards

Shaun
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in July'14. Excellent location, friendly & helpful staff, generously sized double room, good facilities, pool & gym, fabulous food at breakfast and dinner and a really outstanding golf course. I was quite impressed with the hotel, however there is one thing which did put a damper on things and that was the automatic door closers on all rooms. They close the door with such force it makes the whole room shake and the noise is very loud. This can very disturbing for those of us who go to bed early, only to be woken every time a door closes nearby. Such a pity as the rest of our stay was excellent.

Room Tip: I wold suggest asking for the last room in the corridor, so that you are not so disturbed at night.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!