“Good stop over” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club

You added Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club to your Saves list
Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huntingdon Road, Bar Hill CB23 8EU, England (Formerly Cambridgeshire Moat House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good stop over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here by default really after being moved from a hotel in town. The hotel was out of Cambridge by 15/20 minutes (£12 taxi) which was an issue for me and why I was there however in terms if facilities it was very good. Nice welcome, good large room which was clean and comfortable. The restaurant was large and was showing football with several people eating. Breakfast was excellent and with a significantly lower room rate than many places in Cambridge I think this is a decent place to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Thai first
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Overpriced
Poor food
Understaffed
Very tired decor
One poor batman on the lounge bar trying to serve a Saturday evening crowd with drinks, coffee and bar snacks. Gave up waiting for service.
Restaurant menu very limited and poorly cooked.
Next to the very busy and very noisy A14

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the far side away from the very noisy A14
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

At £100 "discounted" rate for a double room at this spa/resort hotel I had expected quite a lot. But many niggling problems spoiled the stay for me. Firstly, I couldn't get wifi access in my room, so had to work in the lobby. Secondly, and whilst the bed was comfortable, the sheets were sloppily tucked in and I had to redo them. Thirdly, forget trying to sleep in, as the slamming of doors in the corridor outside and in the rooms above would jar me out of my slumber from 6am. Fourthly, no bedside clock, AND no socket within range of the bed, so I couldn't even use my phone instead (I had to overnight charge it of course). Fifthly the TV was rather old and small, and had a limited number of channels (no Freeview).

In general, although the room appointments were of a decent standard, and the pool and saunas were good, the hotel is looking a little dated and could use a spruce.

If I was paying £50-60 a night, I wouldn't be complaining, but at double that, I just expected a lot more, and suffered a lot of disappointment.

Room Tip: If you want wifi access, your room needs to be close to reception.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear bjranson, thank you for your feedback. I note you were staying in room 131 and I will log a call with BT regarding the Wifi and this will be resolved - the entire hotel is covered by the Wifi, you do not need to be in reception, so this must be a fault with the access point to this room. Just to inform you that your room rate which was £95 for the night is actually good value for the Cambridge area, with City Centre hotels of a similar 4 star rating charging upwards of £170 per night for transient bookings plus you have the additional car parking cost. You will find even the budget hotels charge over £75 in this area.

I note there are fire doors outside the room you stayed in and this could be the banging - I will check that they are working correctly as should not make any loud noise, I have not had feedback regarding noise from guests in rooms above before as the hotel is concrete and steel construction which gives very good sound proofing?

None of our rooms have bedside clocks, but the Flat screen LCD TV's do have this function on them, along with 16 channels and "on demand" movies. I will discuss the making of the bed with housekeeping, this is not a common issue raised with us and I am sorry that there was not a closer plug socket in your room.

I'm sorry that these minor points have detracted from your enjoyment of staying with us and if I can be of any further assistance with a future booking, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Chelmsford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Booked 2 rooms for 4 of us,and were told we could check in at 1400hrs which is when we arrived,however the 1st Lady receptionist we dealt with was very rude and said there are no rooms.We discovered fom her Male colleague that she meant they were not ready and we should come back in 30mins they said check in time was 1430 dispite their email saying 1400hrs.However at 1515hrs we went back finally got our keys to discover the cleaners were still in the room so had to wait again.Went down for dinner they could not find our booking
we also confirmed the time with reception when we arrived but this also was not passed on to Restaurant.Apart from this the food was acceptable for price we paid and the Golf Course was in very good condition,and Bar staff were excellent and the new receptionist we dealt with was very good,they just need to sort out there comunication problems.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nick363, thank you for leaving us your review regarding your golf break with us in September. I'm pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and the golf course and sorry that the communication on reception was not as good as usual, we are training 2 new recruits at present and your feedback will be used to help us to improve.

I do hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Where to start?!

Currently I have mobility problems having had a total knee replacement operation, and am on crutches. When I made the booking, I rang the hotel to confirm that I could have an easy access room. I was assured that was no problem. We arrived to be told we had room 114. Room 114 had a double bed, one side of which was against the wall. That would have meant my husband either trying to climb over me or waking me up, if he wanted to use the bathroom in the night. I have never seen a 4* hotel offer such a poor room. The bathroom did have grab rails, but no walk in shower. We asked reception if we could change rooms. We were offered room 112. That was a bigger bedroom, but not particularly clean. There was dust and cobwebs on the picture frames, the window frame and the bedhead. The curtains were stained and the veneer was peeling off the TV stand. Room 112 had the tiniest bathroom I have ever seen! Even Premier Inns have better bathrooms! There were no grab rails, and the shower was over the bath. I cannot climb into a bath. We went back to reception to mention this. Connor Lenton said he could offer me a free cup of coffee UPSTAIRS to compensate. I find stairs a challenge! I pointed out that a cup of coffee didn't make up for not being able to have a shower. Connor then said in a very surly manner, "I don't take the reservations." I pointed out that he was representing the hotel and therefore, he was the one I was telling the problems. Since he could not help, perhaps he could find someone with more seniority who could. He called the duty manager.

The duty manager was charming and apologetic. Apparently not one of their bathrooms has a walk in shower. I did wonder how they could class them as disabled bathrooms since people with mobility problems could not shower in them. His solution? I could go to the Leisure Centre and use the walk in showers there! Really? I should get dressed, go on my crutches to the Leisure Centre, shower, and then get dressed again to go back to my room? Rather negates the idea of an en suite! Since there were no suitable bathrooms, the DM arranged a 30% discount on the price of the room.

We then got changed, met our son, and went to dinner. We had rung to book a table in the Brasserie. There was no record of the reservation! We were given a table. Normally in a 4* establishment the dining room is attractive, with tablecloths and linen napkins. We were seated at a table with scratches and gouges in the veneer, a generous sprinkling of crisps under the table, no tablecloth, and paper napkins!

Apparently the restaurant has AA rosettes. Lord knows how! My son is gluten intolerant. He ordered the chicken caesar salad for his starter and specified no croutons. I saw the waiter write "No croutons" on the order. It came with croutons so it had to go back. Fortunately the replacement came without croutons. Our main courses were pork belly for son, beef for husband and chicken breast for me. About a third of the way into the breast, I realised it was pink and uncooked. The maître d' came across, saw that it was uncooked, and ordered a replacement. That came, and was piping hot and cooked. We ordered puddings. Son and I opted for crème brûlée, husband for the pavlova. Our crème brûlées were burning hot - so much so that the porcelain ramekins were too hot to touch. My brandy snap basket was welded to the layer of caramel and the custard in both pots was red hot and curdled. Crème brûlée is meant to be served at room temperature - not scalding hot. I couldn't face sending a third course back. Husband's pavlova turned out to be two catering pack meringues (not home made) with a two scoops of very basic vanilla ice cream with a dollop of forest fruit compôte on top.

After saying goodbye to our son, we went back to the room. I am happy to say the bed was very comfortable. The next morning we had breakfast and were pleasantly surprised at the huge range of dishes available. It does seem odd for a 4* hotel to offer butter or Flora in plastic pots rather than proper dishes. Also, the quality of some of the items (the orange juice, the mushrooms and the sausages) was cheap.

Incidentally, if you book through LateRooms, you are advised that there will be complimentary water in your room. Apparently not. It seems the hotel has stopped doing that.

Would we stay again? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Are there any good rooms? Who knows!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear DJF710,
Thank you for writing to me with the extract of your Trip Advisor review and I’m sorry we did not get the chance to discuss these points with you prior to putting your review in the public domain.

I do actively monitor Trip Advisor and was aware of your feedback regarding your stay. You spoke to Arvind – my Deputy Manager at the time and whilst you did not raise many of these points with Arvind prior to check out at the hotel, you were satisfied with the reduction in room rate he offered by way of a goodwill gesture.

Firstly I’m sorry if you feel the accessible rooms are not adequate, whilst the bathrooms and doorways have been modified I note your comment about the lack of a walk in shower and this is something we have had more enquiries for and we will look to add to one of the accessible rooms in the future. Just to note, we do not advertise having a walk in shower on any brochures or websites and I have been informed by the hotel that on your initial enquiry this was made clear to you. Laterooms.com as will all the other online travel agencies sell only the specified room types we make available to them. Also to note I cannot see on Laterooms.com where it states mineral water is offered in all rooms as standard, we only offer these when buying the executive upgraded rooms, however I have been made aware Arvind had a large bottle of mineral water put in your room when requested at no charge.

I’m pleased an alternative room was offered promptly and I know your comments regarding the receptionist have been discussed at hotel level with the management team and any appropriate action has been taken. This certainly isn’t how we want our front desk staff to be portrayed and clearly it seems he did not deal with the situation in a positive manner, however as we do not have walk in showers we were limited with what solutions could have been offered, one being to use the health club facilities as these changing rooms are on ground floor level with shower cubicles.

I have spent time reviewing the second room offered regarding cleanliness and maintenance with the housekeeping team and the appropriate action has been taken and I’m sorry if any area fell below standard.

I’m sorry to read that your dining experience was not enjoyed and that there were errors in the order regarding dietary needs and quality of food and presentation was not to your liking. Again I have spent time with the waiting staff and Head Chef to ensure any areas of additional training are given. Our Brasserie restaurant should be cleaned after each service and I was sorry to read of any debris under the table, also noting your comments about the lack of table linen and quality of napkin; however we rarely get any negative feedback on those items.

I’m pleased that generally you enjoyed breakfast after a restful night, I do not see any issue with the pre pack butter and flora, this is used commonly throughout 4 star hotels and more hygienic in food safety terms, also both are brand named products. Our mushrooms and sausages are freshly cooked daily and our orange juice is a pre packed brand – all of which we served across our estate in high volume and certainly I have not had negativity relayed, but will of course continue to review our guest’s comment cards and online reviews.

I apologise for any shortcoming on your visit and I do hope we can welcome you back to Menzies Hotels in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

On arrival at 19:30 , reception staff could not find my booking, eventually found it when they checked their fax machine, said that I wanted to use the Gym + Sauna. Room was clean but tired, could not stand in front of sink without bathroom door closing on my back. Tried the gym + pool , changing room was messy , stuff all over the floor, disappointed to find the Sauna was cold with a notice saying it turns off automatically if it has not been used , regular gym client said they always turn it off 2 hours before closing.....

Tried the restaurant , I should of realised an empty restaurant is to be avoided...How many chairs and tables can you squash in a small area , no character.. Starter ham + melon , could not even cut the melon let alone eat it. Main course chicken breast ok until I found a bone left in, hot tomato was chewy inside, manager gave me a 20% discount + coffee. He also helped me connect to hotel Wifi as reception had given me the wrong code. Upstairs golf club bar had more character, wished I had eaten there.

Back to the restaurant for breakfast, staff very friendly but badly organised, they dont work as a team. Sausages were all split or overcooked, possible reheated from the previous day. On check out I was presented with bill for food , this should have been charged to the company credit card used for the room, as noted on the fax booking form which they had by now Lost. Paid on my own card as I was by now totally fed up and dissatisfied, will never stay here again.

Room Tip: if they say the room is close to reception dont beleive them
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on 3 October for one night. It is very convenient to the A14. Can't fault the room or the breakfast the next day. The Reception staff were very friendly and informative about getting into Cambridge advising us to use the bus service which passes the hotel which saved us trying to find the Park and Ride.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear lavaird, thank you for leaving us your review and I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your review with the team and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Shaun

Been to Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!