“recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club

You added Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club to your Saves list
Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huntingdon Road, Bar Hill CB23 8EU, England (Formerly Cambridgeshire Moat House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
leicestershire
“recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

four of us went and stayed on 5/5/13 as we are trying courses for our society weekend away for 2014 .
I must say that this place ticked all the boxes , the staff were very friendly and had a sense of humour which makes you more relaxed and comfortable , the food was perfect , the service was second to none , we met a large group of golfers in the bar at night and had a good laugh , everyone at the hotel was talkative which created a great atmosphere in the bar .
The golf course was in excellent condition and was a fair challenge ( my handicap is 8) , its a great course for matchplay due to the ditches and bunkers strategically placed .
if there was anything that i would moan about it would be the little stones in the bunkers if it wasnt for that this course would get 10 / 10 .
Thankyou to all the staff and we shall see you next year as we shall be bringing our golf society here in july 2014 ..
thanks
m loghan
markloghan@hotmail.com

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Mark, thanks for trying the hotel and golf course and leaving us your review and I was pleased that you had a great time with us and will be booking your golf break for 2014 with us. I have shared your feedback with the team and even asked the Greenkeeping staff to check your comment about the stones in the bunkers which I presume could be in the fairway bunkers as they contain a different sand that is coarser to stop it blowing away as the bunkers are more levelled.

Hope to personally meet you next year.

Shaun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my 6th stay and probably my last, pricey for what you get.
Room good but bed tired, time to change guys!
Went out to dine in Cambridge first night but dined in second night, started well, staff attentive but as it got busy, service quality slipped. I ordered a sweet at 7:40 and walked out at 8:15, poor, very poor!
Seems to be a coach trip hotel now and not for me. Shame.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear John R, thank you for leaving us your review and choosing to stay with us in the past. I will check the bed in room 172 as I believe this is the room your stayed in.

I'm sorry there was a delay on your dessert when you dined with us, this is an isolated incident and usually dessert takes 10 - 15 minutes as all dishes are freshly prepared. I know that Arvind spoke with you at the time and Lewis who was your server had mis-placed the order in the kitchen. I know we offered to have your dessert taken up to your room, but this was declined and I am sorry there was nothing more we could have done. Human error can happen from time to time and assure you it was in no way reflective of the restaurant getting busier as you had mentioned. John, Cambridge is a very popular destination, especially in the summer and we do welcome lots of different guests, including those that travel to us by coach, this doesn't detract from what we offer and I assure you this was an isolated incident regarding the waiting time.

I do hope you will choose to return again and If I can personally oversee your next reservation I am happy to if you contact me directly at the hotel.

Yours sincerely

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We spent a Getaway here last year and had a wonderful time. it was only £99 for 2 adults, inc breakfast and dinner on one night. The room was warm and comfortable. Easy access by car or public transport.I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Majd1, thank you for leaving us your review and I was pleased you had an enjoyable time with us last year. Hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had booked in to stay overnight at The Cambridge Hotel prior to playing golf on Sunday. Service in the dining room was extremely poor and at times was aggressive with no comprehension that the customer is usually right; the menu was extremely limited; knowledge of the menu and the wine list was patchy at best; and at lunchtime in the club house we were informed that there were no baguettes and no paninis restricting choice yet again. I don't know what had happened to their stock control. We were informed by the staff that they were all intending to leave, that the hotel was employing staff whose English was poor and didn't understand customer service and encouraging us to write in and complain. Throughout our time there management was conspicuous by its absence. Not a pleasant experience at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Alan G, I'm sorry that you had some issues with the catering whilst you were staying at the hotel and know you have contacted the hotel later via our website with your feedback. Now I have your contact details I will call you to have a conversation about those issues you have highlighted and I can then address any training with those team members concerned.

It is disappointing that you did not mention any of these points whilst you were staying in the hotel or at check out when Taylor asked you about your stay, I was here Sunday also and we did not get any negative feedback on check out, especially about the catering in fact everyone was very positive and a review was posted prior to yours from a guest staying on the same weekend which was very positive about service and food. I understand we have expectations to deliver and on occasions we can get things wrong, we always have duty managers on shift and typically over the weekends we have 3-4 of them working who could have assisted and resolved had you have let us know of any disappointments. I don't think the title of your review "A hotel to avoid" is particularly helpful or reflective of your entire stay, clearly you had some isolated incidents with the catering and generally we get very positive feedback as you can see from the other reviews posted. I will be in contact with you personally to discuss your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

Nailsea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I was running a two day meeting there. Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff there and the staff in charge of the Conference facilities were always there to help when we needed it. My room was extremely comfortable, the food in the restaurant was stunning and the staff there were knowledgeable and helpful. A fantastic stay and I would recommend this hotel - would willingly use this hotel again for a business trip or for pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike E, thanks for leaving us your review and I was so pleased to read that you had a pleasant time with us and your meeting was a success. I have shared your feedback with the team and we do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic place totally relaxing in every way , staff very friendly and happy to help with anything you need .
Location is fantastic there loads to do around the area via bus/ car .
Will definitely go back

• Stayed March 2013
Shaun V, General Manager at Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Andyr56, thanks for choosing to stay with us and leaving your review. I'm pleased you found the hotel to be a great base for exploring the local area.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Many thanks

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Situated close to the A14 this is a modern hotel starting to show signs of its age. The rooms were a good size with all the amenities you would expect of a hotel of this type. Whilst close to Cambridge it is still quite a drive into the city centre. The service was very good, I had a problem with the food being overcooked and it was dealt with promptly and professionally, so full marks here. The food seemed to lack flavour overall and was disappointing, breakfast was buffet style, good quality but as usual with buffets, eggs rock hard.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear AstirGrob, thank you for choosing to stay with us and leaving us your review which I have shared with the team. I'm sorry that there was a problem with your main course being over cooked and pleased this was addressed at the time. I have shared your feedback regarding flavour of the meals with the Head Chef however we have not had any other feedback of that nature recently but will keep reviewing with that in mind.

Pleased that overall you had a good business stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Shaun

Been to Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!