“6 days, noisy, but good fun. Would stay again. Watch the credit card rates!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sports View Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kireka
Sports View Hotel
Kireka Trading Center | Kampala-Jinja Road, Kireka, Uganda   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Kireka
Bristol
“6 days, noisy, but good fun. Would stay again. Watch the credit card rates!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was in Kirinya on voluntary work for six days and was suggested this hotel by my hosts as it was local to where I needed to be. I had seen the website and with a lot of experience in different parts of Africa and a variety of standard of hotels, this hotel was at least as good as I expected it to be. Not amazing, but perfectly acceptable for a no-more-than-moderately priced hotel in Africa.

I was asked which floor I wanted to be on, so chose the top. My room was a good size, with flat screen TV which had a reasonable number of channels, and an acceptable bathroom. And Air Con which I had specifically asked - and paid - for, and it worked perfectly. The mattress was incredibly comfortable. I often struggle in hotels with mattresses but this was more comfortable than my mattress at home!

The staff were all good. Some of the younger ones, especially the ones with "trainee" badges were sometime extremely quiet, and it was almost painful that they would serve you without expression, but others were very bright, attentive, kind and friendly. The guys who helped me with my 23kg x 2 suitcases were amazing, and them not knowing that I didn't have local money on me at the time, there was no question of waiting for a tip - at any time - and we did the suitcase run a few times over the week.

Breakfast was included in my room rate (approx £40) and there was a reasonable selection of buffet to choose from. I just stuck with the cornflakes and an omelette and this was fine, as well as the juices and coffee.

OK - the night times......hmmmm...... day 1 to day 4 of my stay, the music over the back was so loud, I text home and said it was like Shabba Ranks doing a full on concert in the room next door. And it didn't quieten until 1 - 2am. So I was kept awake. I could have asked to move rooms but I was happy to put up with it rather than have the hassle of moving all my stuff. Day 5 and 6 were quieter. The hotel also had live bands at the outside bar by the pool on Friday and Saturday night and I did attend as I was free both nights and it was a great atmosphere.

On checking out, I wanted to pay by credit card. The transaction was fine and no risk to the details. However - my bill was massively inflated as it was converted to US dollars at a rate of 2000 per $ instead of the bank rate of around 2600 per $ - effectively a 25% extra cost. There was no question of this until they authorised my card (manually) and it was such a shame they didn't advise me first. I told them, and they said they may be able to reverse it but I didn't want to risk an attempted reversal and them passing cash!

Overall a good stay and I will be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay too near the front if you can't handle the noise!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel is some 8 miles from the centre of Kampala, along the main road. I stayed there few nights. The room and bathroom were clean. The hotel is located near the national stadium and if there's a major game or political rally happening at the stadium roads around the hotel tend to be closed.

Room Tip: Make sure the room is not facing the pool because late night parties around the pool are quite frequ...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Orange County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The hotel did appear clean and well kept when we checked in, and the staff was polite enough. The pool area was nice. However, the music at the pool went from about 9pm until about 3am and was so loud I could hear it through the closed window AND ear plugs! Also, the mosquito net did not go all the way around the bed. It was our first night in Uganda so we weren't aware at that time how disastrous this was going to be. I ended up with over 30 bites and was terrified of contracting malaria the rest of our trip. The internet DID NOT work in our room. There was NO HOT WATER. The breakfast the next morning did not look appealing at all, and my husband confirmed that the fruit tasted bad and the bacon smelled spoilt. We checked out after one night and headed to Ridar Hotel in Seeta which was much more pleasant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

This hotel is ~12km from central Kampala, on the main road to Nairobi. I have stayed there many times (always in executive rooms) and it was always essential to check the room before getting settled in. Some are good, some are pretty bad. Executive rooms have a small fridge. Sheets and towels are always clean. Beds are always comfortable. But it is hit and miss with air-conditioning, TV, hot water and water pressure. Rooms have wired internet, but there may or may not be a cable. Wireless is available in the lobby (free). Each room has only one power-point, but there may or may not be a power board. Rooms overlooking the pool will get a lot of noise on weekends.
There's a basic gym, which is free to guests. There are two restaurants: A basic one by the pool and a more formal one in the safari bar. The latter has an impressive menu, most of which will be unavailable. The only foods reliably available are the basics such as fish and chips or chicken and chips. Even then, expect a long wait for your food. There are no western standard restaurants in the area. Breakfast is included in the price and is good by Uganda standards.
Staff are not always the most competent, but they are always very friendly and welcoming and trying their best. Laundry service is good and cheap, but you always need to call them to get your clothes back.
For all its faults, this hotel is still good value at ~$50 / night. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Right next to the taxi stands, in the 'centre' of Kireka. I took a 'double delux' room as there was not much difference in the cost between that and the double executive room.

It cost me 140,000ush (43euros) for bed and breakfast.

The room was ok, 3* i would say. the bathroom was clean, with towels and there was running hot water so i had a lovely bath!! The bed sheets were in good shape, clean and the bed had netting around it.

There was a modern flatscreen TV but no cable to get a signal! There was a safe and bible if you needed it!

The hotel has other facilities, swimming pool, restaurant but i did not have time to utilise them. I ate breakfast in the morning, a great selection of drinks and foods, the chef prepares egg dishes freshly for you too!

Staff were fantastic, so friendly and helpful. I should note the security was thorough too.

I would come back to this hotel if i needed to stay in this location again but not for a 'treat'.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sports View Hotel? Share your experiences!