“Great Family Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Great Family Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Perfect place to take the whole family, We have been there a few times and the owners are wonderful and nothing is ever too much trouble, great service! Wonderful selection of food, something for everybody.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tin Can Bay, Australia
“Greek.... with curries?? Albeit a "buffet" !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Unfortunately not researching fully, we did not realise the venue was a buffet format for Sunday lunch and not a real fan of buffets... However, restaurant was full providing a positive initial reaction. While the buffet was replenished regularly, and plentiful; the style of Greek fare was somewhat confusing. (Must point out, I am not a cuisine expert either) I suppose a restaurant has to cater for all tastes.... The staff were attentive and removed plates etc swiftly with friendly and polite manners... Pricing for a buffet was acceptable and good value, but as normal in most venues drinks added a significant cost to the total bill... My rating of "Average" may be low, but the next option of "very good" would be equally too high... Worth a try, but be open minded on the style of food expected for a venue named "Eat Greek".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“I'd rather learn Greek”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

It makes me weep to write this review. I love Greece and everything that it stands for. But...this ain't Greece and no, it ain't Greek food either. I should know. I've been to the real Greece many times since 1982.

My wife booked us an early dinner around 6pm. The place was incredibly quiet, despite being very large with a spectacular view of the river. All looked promising until I was lured to the buffet bar for its all-you-can-eat feast.

First of all, I had to do a double-look at the stack of white china plates. I truly thought they were filthy until I realised they had been permanently etched and scratched by sharp utensils. Very off putting unless you happened to be working on a naval warship or mine site.

Round one was easy: cold food. I actually quite enjoyed it despite knowing that it is pretty hard to screw up raw onion, tomato, feta cheese, smoked salmon (and taramasalata out of a tub). But as I walked back to the table with my cold selection, I noticed the owner. He was going around each bowl (or "bain marie") and mixing them up with a spoon, to "freshen them up." Obviously they had been sitting there for a while growing skin or something else that makes paint dry.

I was prepared to ignore this fact until I went back for round two. However, I was not prepared for tepid and very average food. Having loaded up my plate, i couldn't eat it. In fact I was so embarrassed to leave it there in a massive pile on my plate, that I waited for a chance to run to the service tray when none of the waiters were looking.

I begged my wife to leave which we did.

When we went to pay, she complained nicely to the manager who was brilliant. He graciously apologised and offered us a 50% refund without argument.

I really felt sorry for him. If he thought we were unhappy, he just had to look at the new group of 50 woman were just entering his restaurant. There was no way they were getting new food!

I'm prepared to go back again, but even after trying cold hot food, I was not impressed by the taste. They need to change or be changed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Food Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Had a voucher which was only able to use Wednesday or Thursday nights. Fare enough, it was a special offer however this does not mean the quality of the food needs to be of lower standards.
Much of the food was dry, difficult to swallow and not enjoyable at all. We did wonder whether we were eating left overs from lunch.
Many of the dessert dishes were dirty, and there was a rather long black strand of hair over one of the piles of bowls.
To top it off, we were seated so close the the entrance we had everyone encroaching on our table as they went to their tables.
Sorry, but Sizzler is a better meal and that hurts saying that.
We will never go back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Must go at least once.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here for family birthday gatherings twice. On the weekends it is very busy and noisy. The buffet consists of about 50 dishes and is always kept well supplied. The Greek dancing and plate smashing are a special event worth watching.

• Visited March 2013