“Great view with amazing people” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Selenunda
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Glossa TK 37004, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glossa
HAIFA
“Great view with amazing people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I wanted to share with you our experience with Selenunda hotel. We found the hotel in one of the guides and took the ferry from Alonissos to Glossa.
The view from the balcony is funtastic - you can see the entire port.
Rooms are in good size, nice and clean. You can see atention to small details.
The best experience was the 2 brothers - Babis and Spiros.
Both had been working in the cruising industry for years, with fluent English and a lot of service orientation.
My girlfriend and me were about to rent a car but unfortunatelly there was none available.
When I shared it with Babis he gave me the keys to his own car - I could not beleive it, what a kind man.
I enjoyed very much my conversations with the brothers and had wonderfull time on the island.
warm thanks and smooth sailing :0)

Guy and Cherry

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Skipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

As previous posts have said very well, this is a lovely friendly hotel with superb balcony views that made the steps up to it via the shortcut from the harbour completely worth it! We loved it and were only sorry we hadn't longer. Our room was spacious, light, comfortable and had everything we needed, most importantly the view! Babis and his team were wonderfully helpful but not at all intrusive. I was also very ill for the first few days (recurrence from something in the UK so nothing to do with the hotel or tavernas etc) and everyone rallied round to help us, going out of their way by a mile, we were so thankful and revlieved it had happened there if anywhere. I could go on but everything has already been said. Feel free to ask questions. I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and we definitely intend to return.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Selenunda in the last week of June 2011, and after seeing great reviews on this site we were hoping to have a nice week staying there.
We weren't disappointed. Hotel Selenunda is perched on the hillside of Loutraki, overlooking the harbour, and the views from almost all of the apartments stretch all the way from the beaches on the West coast (on the left), all the way round to the end of the harbour (on the right) where the sun sets behind Skiathos. All I can describe this view as, is truly stunning!!
We never tired of waking up, and sitting having breakfast watching the boats come and go from the harbour in Loutraki to the neighbouring islands that were dotted around out to sea. And to watch the sun going down in the evening as we were getting ready to go out or eat was also magical.
I think this is probably one of the best, if not the best balcony scene and view that I have ever had on holiday in all the places I've been, and so quiet too. Some nights we could even hear the faint noise of people chatting on their boats at the far end of the harbour.
Hotel Selenunda is run by some lovely people, who helped us book our stay, picked us up and dropped us off for the Ferry from and to Skiathos, and even offered to book our Car Hire for us. They couldn't have done more. The lovely guy who helped us all week was called Spiros and we couldn't thank him enough.
The apartments are basic but spotlessly clean (towels I think were changed almost everyday), and with a balcony view like nothing else.
We stayed in room 104 which I reckon had one of the best views of them all. Superb!!
The walk around the building to the harbour was lined with some nice, well kept plants, which make the place look attractive, and was also well lit for an evening wander back.
There are a lot of steps from the Hotel to the harbour as a slight warning to some, but it is a quick access and when you get to the bottom you are surrounded by grape vines and lemon and lime trees, and locals playing cards watching the sunset. All very pleasant.
Once down at harbour level its about a 3-4 minute walk to the nearest Restaurants and Bars in Loutraki.

So all in all, I'd definitely go back, as Loutraki is fine for a few meals some nights, but with Glossa being just up the hill (3 mins by car or bus) its a perfect location, and Selenunda has got to be one of the best!!

Thanks again for making our stay a fantastic one.

Room Tip: Rooms 103 or 104 I reckon are the rooms with the best views
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I spent the first week of our honeymoon here. Our studio had everything we needed - air con, towels, en suit bathroom with a shower on the wall, basic cooking facilities and a fridge. We also had good wifi and a balcony with a fantastic view over Loutraki Harbour.

Loutraki is a great place to stay. It is a small town but convenient for the seacat and bus. There are plenty of cafes and tavernas plus a supermarket. The locals are very friendly and you soon feel at home. It's not so good for beaches - although there is one next to the harbour. You can get a bus to nicer beaches.

The best thing about this hotel were the staff. All three of the staff we met were really friendly and helpful. We were leaving when a strike was on and Spyros (I think was his name) was really helpful in getting information on ferries and flights.

This place is an excellent place to stay for everyone. What I would say is that if you have difficulty with stairs you may need to hire a car and use the road entrance rather than the steep stairs down to the harbour.

Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We booked this hotel for 2 weeks for the summer of 2010 through the internet, but we made sure to call and specify our requests as to the room required, view, etc, and were promised that all our requests would be fulfilled. We arrived very late at night after a long trip to discover that to reach this hotel you have to drive down a very very steep slope without good lighting or indications at night. The room promised was not available, the reception was very cold by the owners, the room had nothing welcoming, not even a bottle of cold water, the airconditioning was not working, and nothing matched our expectations and the promises.
We left the following day and found better and cheaper accomodation elsewere, nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
selenunda, Owner at Hotel Selenunda, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
I apologize in regards to your bad experience. Your request was as follows ``We are 2 adults (not young), looking for a quiet environment on the top floor, a balcony with sea view where we can have our meals and relax, and a double bed.`` I do remember that we had fulfilled all that was requested as our larger family rooms with a double bed have a sea view towards Skiathos. We asked if you preferred another room with a frontal sea view but it was declined. In regards to the air conditioner the doors of the room must be closed to turn it on. This is a feature that we have to conserve energy and do less harm to the environment. Once again I do apologize that our hotel was not up to your expectations and am glad you were able to find one that was.
Torino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife did some research before finding this hotel and I am happy we stayed at Selenunda which is run by a very nice and warm Greek-Canadian family. I guess we got the best from both cultures and I will highly recommend it to people who are not looking for luxurious stay rather Spartan and clean! Also, we traveled with two young kids and they were very patient with our two boys… The room we were given was very large and add a nice balcony with a beautiful sightseeing over the Loutraki’s port and village that we leveraged many times for breakfast and dinner. By the way, they have internet access and during last days of stay, I had to get back in touch with my business and they even lend me their laptop that I have used to work on documents and send/receive emails. Overall a great stay and we made some new friends!

Room Tip: Book in advance!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Scottsville, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

This was my first trip to Greece, and after a week in Athens, I spent another wonderful week in Loutraki at the Hotel Selenunda. It was the most perfect vacation of my life.
Karen and Babi are perfect hosts, going out of their way to be helpful. My room was spacious, comfortable and attractive. The small kitchen had all I needed to cook a few meals and fix my evening cup of tea. But the best part was the balcony. I could spend the rest of my life just sitting there, enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sea and the sailboats. The sunsets are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. All in all, I simply didn't want to leave, and would love to go back, any time of year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Selenunda? Share your experiences!