The Cottage in the Wood sits on the Whinlatter pass, a region of The Lake district national park that still retains a slightly wild feel with extensive pine woodlands but which is still only a short drive from the bustling town of Keswick. This location means that walkers, cyclists and nature lovers have a multitude of things to do.
On arriving at the Cottage, we were greeted by the friendly owner Kath and showed to the Garden Room. This contemporary accommodation is like something from a top city centre boutique hotel… double king size, wet room with heated flooring, Bose sound system and comfy seating area with wall-mounted flat-screen. Attention to detail in the form of home-made cookies, classy tea and coffee selections and premium soaps bolster the overall experience. However, it’s the dining room which elevates this establishment into one of the very best I’ve visited.
The meal (tasting menu) was absolute perfection. The accompanying wine flight I sampled was equally good and clearly well researched. Locally sourced ingredients, superb flavours and all assembled with a delicateness and innovation which you only find in top London kitchens simply blew us away. (My partner is a vegetarian and was served what she claimed to be was the best veggie fine-dining she’d experienced in 20 years). The overall experience is finished off with friendly, good-humoured and knowledgeable staff. Not cheap but they do say you get what you pay for. For us - simply perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of EnjoyEngland Silver Excellence in Tourism Award 2011, The Taste of Cumbria and Taste of England's North West 2010, and 2 AA rosette for culinary excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Lake District - Keswick