“Gorgeous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cottage in the Wood

You added The Cottage in the Wood to your Saves list
The Cottage in the Wood
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Magic Hill, Whinlatter Forest, Braithwaite, Keswick CA12 5TW, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Braithwaite
Kings Langley, Herts
“Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday for three nights recently and it was a wonderful stay. We stayed in a cottage room which was very cosy and beautifully appointed, indeed, the whole place felt like a cosy cottage, miles away from a faceless cold hotel, yet private & unobtrusive. The meals were fabulous, beautifully prepared & presented and different dishes appeared each evening which were all explained fully over a G&T in the lounge area. There were many small touches which make this hotel special, to list a few....Kath's help with planning walks, amazing bird display in the garden to watch over breakfast, handmade bisuits in the room, the level of polite & discrete service from all the staff... and after travelling the world and staying in many fine hotels, I am rather picky, but would highly recommend Cottage In The Wood. Hope to stay there again some day. Thanks to Kath, Liam and all the staff.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms aren't big, but they don't claim to be. They are very cosy, well appointed...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
South Shields
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

It has been a while since my wife and I stayed at the hotel, 21yrs to be exact we had our honeymoon here all those years ago. So I booked the garden room for 1 night in November for our anniversary and kept it a secret. On our arrival we could see the lovely restaurant and decking area, we were warmly greeted by Kath and her staff, and shown to our room .... wow. The quality of the furnishings and decor are fantastic, we were then invited up for a tea / coffee and a piece of home baked cake ... lovely. The current owners have obviously given alot of thought to the changes since they took over, and it works a treat. The food was very good on our honeymoon but, now its fantastic, at first we thought the menu was a little limited however after a chat with Kath we made our choices and we were not disappointed. I can recommend the lamb & the duck, and the cheese board was tremendous. Coffee in the lounge to finish the meal with the wood burner going well what can I say. We really enjoyed our short stay, Kath and the staff were brilliant and we are not going to leave it another 21yrs!!

Room Tip: The garden room is very private
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My wife and I spent two beautiful, glorious days at this wonderful hotel. A warm and welcoming family run hotel in The Lakes. Kath and her staff made us both feel so welcome and very much part of the hotel. Excellent room with a stunning view. The food was simply exquisite. The menu and the preparation of the food was expertly explained to us. It certainly did not disappoint. The flavours were subtle and fulfilling. It was obvious that great skill and attention had been exercised in preparing this food. Highly recommended. The drinks in the bar were excellent value. I really cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. An absolute gem of a place. A return visit is definitely on the cards.

Burnley, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We recently stopped here for 1 night to celebrate my husbands birthday. At the time of booking the only room available was the Garden Room - whilst it was a bit more than I would normally pay, I booked nonetheless as the reviews were fantastic and website pics looked amazing. Thankfully we were no disappointed.

I have to stress that normally I wouldn't like to pay more than £100 for a double room, so was a bit nervous at splashing out and spending much more. However I thought that it really was value for money and we loved every aspect of the Cottage. The Garden Room is simply amazing - huge room, beautiful views and it felt as though the garden was just for us (not the other guests!). Being 'underneath' the house, we didn't hear another soul, the only sounds being the river gushing below and the twittering of birds. There are bird feeders and squirrel boxes directly outside the windows meaning there was plenty to look at. I was delighted to wake up on Sunday morning to find a red squirrel merrily feeding away (see my pic!).

We had a lovely welcome from Kath who showed us round the room and then invited us back up for a welcome drink and cake. As the room was relatively new, Kath asked us to let her know if we thought anything was missing or needed changing - a refreshing outlook showing that they are open to suggestions and maybe acknowledging they didn't think the room was 100% how they want it (I disagreed and thought it was!!)

We found the entrance/'living room' area well designed. So often in hotels/B&B's there is a reception room which goes unused - not so at the Cottage. Lovely log burning stove, decor, mountains of books etc. Yummy fruit cake too.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner. To be honest the food wasn't totally my cup of tea (I prefer bigger, more hearty portions!), BUT it didn't detract from our overall experience and my husband really enjoyed it. I can appreciate that some people will be absolutely bowled over, and it was beautifully presented and cooked. The dessert (Honey Parfait) was however AMAZING! Even though we weren't really drinking, I did think that wine prices were very very reasonable (large glass of NZ Sauv Blanc for £4 - bargain!).

Breakfast in the beautiful dining room overlooking the mountain forest.My husband had the traditional cooked breakfast (delicious black pudding) and I had the special - Arbroath smoked salmon with scrambled egg. Beautifully cooked. Also lots of lovely, good quality museli's, cereals etc.

All in all a fantastic stay. Hosts and staff can't do enough for their guests and it is simply beautiful. For us it was a splurge and we would have loved to stop longer, but it was definitely worth the money. Thank you.

Room Tip: Garden Room every time
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We were taken by good friends to this restaurant and the wonderful welcome was not followed by a meal of the same calibre. The menu was explained and it was pointed out that two items could either be a starter or a main course. I had Pheasant "Corn dogs" with Haw ketchup as a starter which was like meat paste the size of two small sausages rolled in nuts which had been flash deep fried. My main course was described as pork with turnip and nasturtium seeds - I couldn't initially see any pork as what I had been served was a 5cm diameter piece of what looked like fat surrounded by shavings of a large radish. Most of the "pork" when dissected was fat which I left on the side of the plate. My husband chose the risotto as a main course - having been told this was one of the options available as starter or main course. He received a small amount of rice about the size of a large tablespoon which was extremely salty with slivers of thinly sliced ham , one piece of which was mainly gristle and tendon. After this all four of us decided to choose the cheese option and the amount of protein in the 4 small slices of cheese far exceeded the total protein in the previous two courses.
I made no complaint after the meal as I did not wish to embarrass the friends who had taken us and who were paying for this meal.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have had my eye on stopping at this place for a while now but have been unable too because they did not have broadband or phones in the room but that has changed now with each room having internet access. After 3 months not visiting the lakes (too busy in the summer) I was glad to be back and the hotel is perfectly situated for ticking off several Wainwrights such as Barf, Whinlatter, Lords Seat Greystones etc in fact you can walk them from the hotel. I have to say this is one of the BEST hotels I have stopped in on my trips to the lakes, the staff are so so friendly and they really mean it when they say good morning, my god its a pity other hotels don't adopt the attitude of this place they could learn a lot. I stayed in the Attic room im 6 foot 1 and didn't have a problem, room was great and the bed super comfy bathroom fantastic full length bath lashings of hot water, great TV Digital radio and for saddo's like me an INTERNET connection in the room (although Mac users note its a network connection no wireless in the room).... The food well now that's something else.... The food was astonishing absolutely gorgeous true quality (although I have to say after slogging the hills I could have ate a little more) but don't let that comment detract from some of the best cooked food I have tasted. As for some of the comments on here about the lounge being small well yes it is but so what ? this place has style and class and it was a delight to stop here and as for those that say how come all the reviews refer to the owner as Kath let me explain Its because she speaks to all the guests and referred to me as Paul from the moment I walked through the door Its called FIRST CLASS SERVICE I will be back .....

Room Tip: If you are oldish don't use the attic room the steps to it are very steep (great room though)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Agree with all the great reviews - this a gem and good value for money (for the Lakes anyway). Lovely room - we stayed in the attic - yes it has limited head-room, but my partner is 6'2" and it was no trouble at all, plus is had a lovely roll top bath. Great food and hosts too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!