“Imposing hotel in excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Braithwaite, Braithwaite, Keswick CA12 5RY, England   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Braithwaite B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Imposing hotel in excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Have only eaten and used bar at Middle Ruddings always greeted as "a freind" by all staff. Good selection of beers, varied menu using local produce. Steak & Ale Pie wonderful (large portion). Well worth a visit if only for coffee and to gaze at the majesty of Skiddaw

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend over a very quiet period after my parents recommended it to me. Everything from the check in to check out was fantastic. Especially the evening meal and the hand pulled beers. We would definitely return soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have just had another fantastic couple of days at Middle Ruddings with Liz, Andy, Tom and Beccy. We have been visiting the Lake District for over 18 years and stayed in all sorts of accommodation and can say this is by far the best!
All the staff are without question, the most friendly and helpful we have had the pleasure to meet, The food is second to none and Andy keeps an excellent selection of real ales and wines, We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will be booking in for at least two more visits in 2013. Thanks again from Ian and Yvonne.
Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Another fantastic stay with Andy, Liz and the team, exceptionally warm welcome, excellent room. Loved the roaring log fire, and the autumn/winter menu was perfect, offering lots of choice to the weary and hungry walker. A hotel to really feel at home in. We would highly reccomend a stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Excellent hotel with superb service from lovely staff.This was a quiet week after half term and we benefited from even more personal attention than normal. Personally overseen by family who all live on the premises. Food in either bar or conservatory restaurant is wonderful and home baking and cooking is excellent. We were allowed to have dogs in bar for our evening meal which is both unusual in hotels and very welcome to us with our well behaved retrievers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

On business so did not spend as much time as I would have liked in the hotel.
However, I must say the evening meal was splendid and exceeded expectations, the staff were friendly and the rooms compact and clean.
I was leaving early in the morning - outside the normal breakfast hours - but it was almost insisted I had breakfast, and made me poached eggs and coffee. I only wish time was not so pressing so could have hogged out on the full breakfast menu.
It is what I call going the extra mile to look after guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Durham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked 3 nights at Middle Ruddings to be fairly near while my daughter and friends were Youth Hostelling without parents for the first time, but it won't be the last time I stay there!

There's an immediate welcome from the staff who show you to your room and explain things, and I was impressed by the clean fresh room with comfortable bed and lots of pillows. Couldn't get the TV to work, but that was the controller rather then the TV; I worked it out eventually! The bathroom was a bit small but again spotlessly clean and had everything I need including a good powerful shower.
There was ample storage space and a very good beverage tray with supplies replenished daily.

The bar and lounge downstairs are comfortable and welcoming with a lovely fire in the bar; great for getting warm over a beer after a wet walk; the weather wasn't at its best during my stay! There are real ales and ciders at the bar. Downstairs near the kitchen, a member of staff showed me the drying room which is a bonus as all my wet gear got dried off each day for the next morning.

I opted for bed and breakfast but ended up eating dinner there for 2 of the 3 nights and would definitely book D,B & B next time as the price is reasonable. Breakfast was served in a dedicated breakfast room which was good, because the staff didn't have to keep re-laying tables for either breakfast or dinner, and you could sit anywhere laid for the appropriate number of people. There were fruit compotes and salads, delicious home baked bread, juices and cereals to start including lovely own recipe muesli and yoghurt. Cooked breakfast was to order, with cumberland sausage, local bacon and black pudding, roast tomatoes, eggs cooked the way you asked for them, and even haggis and potatoes if you wanted! There were also delicious kippers or smoked haddock with poached eggs, or local ham and cheeses if you wanted continental. Breakfast all in all was among the nicest I've had in the Lakes!

I didn't regret opting for dinner and wish I'd booked D,B&B in the first place! I always find it's better to book B&B the first time you go somewhere and to try dinner. Middle Ruddings' dinner menu is quite simply excellent, with specials every day as well as a few regular dishes. One night I had Morecambe Bay potted shrimps followed by slow roast lamb, both of which were superb. The other night I opted for home made pate with cumberland sauce, and venison steak in juniper sauce. Again both superb! Vegetables were cooked to perfection, and the only regret was that I couldn't fit in a pudding either night, as the choice looked delicious! Perhaps next time the weather will be better and I can get out for a longer mountain day which means I might be able to fit in 3 courses!

There's a lovely garden with sitting out areas; pity that it was only dry for one day but something to look forward to in the summer, taking coffee or a beer out there with wonderful views to Skiddaw

I have been looking for somewhere new for short breaks in the North Lakes since my favourite hotel was taken over by a chain and the standard of food destroyed. Middle Ruddings sources all its food from local suppliers as my former favourite place used to do, and it shows in the quality of what they serve! Lots of organic and fairtrade produce too, and a wine list with some favourites featured.

The staff are friendly and helpful; nothing is too much trouble. I thought the informal reception area was part of the charm of an inn which offers informal comfort and a relaxing stay. I look forward to a return visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Middle Ruddings Country Inn? Share your experiences!