“very pleasant dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant with rooms featuring the best of Cumbrian produce
uk
“very pleasant dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

I live locally and have not stayed there. We went for dinner on the recommendation of friends. The hostess, Kath, is very welcoming and the food was excellent, The wine list is very reasonably priced. We will certainly revisit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

UK
“Quite nice but not a wow-er”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

We had dinner at The Cottage in September. We chose it on the strength of the reviews on TA.
Arriving in the dark I can't comment on the location or views but apparently it's got spectacular views.
The owners were welcoming and we were made to feel welcome with menus and nibbles. It took a little while to get a drink but every table was full as were all the seats in the lounge area and they were clearly a little pushed, waiting on other diners to finish whilst also trying to seat guests still arriving..
The menu had 3 or 4 choices per course - there were specials on offer too but these were only offered when our order was being taken - it would have been nice to be offered these earlier on.
We had 3 nice courses at a reasonable set price. My favourite course was the dessert - the main was a little too salty for my liking but I guess that comes down to palate. My husband was happy with his main but preferred my dessert! (we chose the same starter).
I don't whether we expected more coming from a city where there are many excellent choices of restaurants on our doorstep.
It was nice, the price was reasonable and The Cottage is clearly a popular eating venue....but I'm not sure I'd go back again if I was in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Workington, United Kingdom
“excellent position great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

we went for lunch after being recommended by friends the food was excellent though the menu was limited the servce was also very good must go back one evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Above average food in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We've had lunch here a couple of times and have not been disappointed

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cumbria
“Good food, charming hosts, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Visited with friends, have previously been for lunch on a couple of occassions, the hostess/owner and her team are most welcoming to what is a lovely venue. The owner took her time to fully describe the menu in detail which was most helpful. The food was varied, seasonal, tasty and well cooked and presented. My only reservation was the portion size especially the pigeon salad starter which i did not think was good value at all given the size of the portion. Enjoyed the meal as a whole. The wine list was reasonable priced.