“Average pseudo-Italian” 3 of 5 stars

Sodra Kyrkogatan 20, Visby, Gotland 621 56, Sweden
+46 498218787
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Isola Bella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 100 Restaurants in Visby
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Warsaw
“Average pseudo-Italian”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I spent 2 weeks in Visby and ate out every day. Visby is not a good place for foodies. Food here is overpriced, boring or simply unforgivably bad. Isola Bella was just average. I was there only once for lunch. Buffet lunch was at the first sight reach but at the second stuffed with haevy pasta salads, cheap olives etc. Not to many options for vegetarians. Pizza was to wet and grilled wegetables did not seem to be very fresh.

Visited August 2012

Long Island, New York
“Italian Food with a Swedish Flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

It's true - if it looks busy it must be good. We went during a slower time on the island when all the other restaurants were virtually empty. Yet Isola Bella was packed. And for good reason. Italian food but with clear Swedish influences. Desserts were excellent.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Visby, Gotlands Län, Sweden
“Wonderful pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We ate in their outdoor seating for the first time; I have always eaten indoors before. It was a lovely evening and a nice experience. The service isn't great - trying to get attention from waitstaff once you have ordered is hard. The pizza is amazingly delicious. I have eaten pasta there as well, which was also good, but I recommend the pizza.

Visited August 2012
Gotland, Sweden
“Best Italian restaurant in Visby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

There is only one Italian restaurant in Visby. The others are pizzerias that also offer pastas but is not really an Italian restaurant. So if you want to have Italian food, you have only one choice. Isola Bella in the old town of Visby. Very cozy, romantic in the old town. The building must be old with its typically Gotland's ancient stones on the walls. In the summer you can also sit outside and they have it really cozy in the evenings with oil lamps hanging from above. Here are some tips. Their pizza Fiore with fresh mushrooms, fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil is fantastic! My parents were not impressed with the seafood pizza De Mare. Also the pizza with tuna was not so good, said my children. So take the Fiore or the Margarita. Theri vegetarian pizzas are also great! We took a vegetarian Antipasti and it was nice. Their olives were delicious!
We ordered a bottle of red wine and it was also extremely good. I forgot the name... something like Negro amaro.
I had a mushroom pasta and it was fantastic! Tons of delicious mushrooms: generous portions in the pasta dish! My father took a carbonara and he said it was also great. My son took another pasta with beef and he also liked it a lot. So I can recommend the pastas here! Better you book a table during the summer and high season. In the summer, sit outside! It's really cozy there but the inside is also nice if you prefer the old building's atmosphere. Enjoy!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austria
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We went there as it looked nice and was recommended by our Hotel. From entering the door we had an unpleasant feeling. One has to wait at the door to be seated. But the Head Waitress is just completely unorganized. If you are lucky, she will take you on or otherwise send you away, to take on the next group that comes in 10 seconds after you.
It took her more than 1 hour to actually clear the table next to us and to set it up again.
The food is way overprized and I am not used to pay 150 SEK for a glass of Wine!
Unfortunately I picked a Pizza, which ruined my stomach completely. The dough was not good and they've spilled so much oil over it, including lots of antipasti out of jars. Disgusting!
And paying by card was another big problem for the waitress... All in all a restaurant which we will avoid in future!

• Visited June 2012