“Just beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Part owned of Gary Mehigan of MASTERCHEF & FENIX RESTAURANT
Mascot, Australia
“Just beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Loved the venue, beautiful and laid back. The menu was great, and the service friendly and efficient. The special, a steak sandwich with caramelised onions, was incredible. Pizza menu is great and many vegetarian options. My granddaughter and my husband had the cheesecake and said it was phenomenal.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Australia
“Glad it changed hands”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I used to frequent The Boathouse prior to Gary Mehigan taking over, because it was local. It deteriorated over the years (ok food, someone else's lipstick on my coffee cup, bad service). Gary has rebuilt what was once a tiny café into a larger restaurant and whilst I've only been once so far (not a local anymore) I love the food. They have some 'special' nights where they offer all you can eat pizza (it keeps getting cooked up as you empty the pizza trays). We also had some salad and wine and service was good too. They also do other types of specials and if you provide them with your email address, you'll be emailed their Friday specials which aren't normally on the menu. If you like trying quality experienced celebrity chef's food then The Boathouse is a good start with reasonable prices. I'll go back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Last night I was invited to celebrate a close friends birthday at the Boathouse,
On arrival the manager informed us that the lounge style dining area that my friend had specifically asked for was not available and that he had allocated our party to the private dining room area, we were quite satisfied with this, he pointed to the room where we were to dine, I would have thought as a manager of the restaurant he would show us to the room, but no he just pointed & said, pout there, after we were all seated he explained that Tuesday was " all you can eat pizza night" the guest of honour asked if he served gluten free pizza, he rudely said no & " you have to eat it here" I could not believe what I herd & thought if I wanted take away pizza I woul have dropped into the pizza take away down the road.
When the drinks had been served one of our party asked if she could have some ice for her drink, the manager pointed to the ice bucket which contained the wine bottle and said there is ice in there, we then asked if the guest of honour could choose a dish from the menu and the rest of our party have would have the pizza option, he rudely said we normally don't serve a separate meal to one guest when the rest of the table was having the pizza option but he would make an exception this one time, our guest of honour was made to feel like a leper due to a health issue which restricts him from eating anything with gluten.
After our third pizza had been served we had to ask the manager if our guest of honour could have his meal, he rolled his eyes and went off to the kitchen, came back and rudely said I have called your meal, once we had eaten he came back and asked if we would like more wine as " I'd like to close my bar".
To top off the very disappointing experience, a very large cockroach landed about 5 mm from one of our guests hand , right in the centre of the table, the manager came back to the table and grabbed the roach with his bare hand and threw it on the floor, no apology , just the comment that " when you dine in a restaurant in this sort of location you have to expect this.

I would never dine at this restaurant ever again.
I expected a bit more from this restaurant considering the high profile of the celebrity associated with it.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Clermont, Australia
“FATHERS DAY SURPRISE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My daughter, & her family, Shouted my wife & I to "THE BOATHOUSE", for Dinner on Fathers Day 2013.
This was a very pleasant surprise! The surroundings couldn't have been better! Situated on the banks of the Marybyrnong river The atmosphere was relaxed and the service was extremely efficient. We were all impressed with the large selection available on the menu. We sampled a wide variety of their dishes and ALL were cooked to perfection. A good choice of wines and other beverages were also available.
All in all a thouroughly enjoyable meal & time was had by everyone!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“friendly attentive staff, nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We ordered the confit chicken and braised ribs. Happy with both meals. Staff were nice and friendly, always smiling and attentive. Will be going back!

• Visited August 2013