“Nice relaxing premises but no spa bath!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yarra Valley Lodge

You added Yarra Valley Lodge to your Saves list
Yarra Valley Lodge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Heritage Avenue | Heritage Golf & Country Club, Chirnside Park, Victoria 3116, Australia (Formerly The Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirnside Park
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice relaxing premises but no spa bath!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Before booking my stay here I asked the girl I spoke to on the reservations line whether the property had a spa bath/jacuzzi, using very specific language to describe what I was talking about as I did not want my question confused with the "Day Spa" facility that I knew the property has attached to it. I was told that yes, there was a spa for guests to use. Great!
When I was put through to the actual property to make some further enquiries, I spoke to a young man who also told me there was a spa, as well as a pool and steam room for guests to use. Great!
When I rang to book, I asked the lady I spoke to the same question, and even found out that the pool is heated to approximately 30 degrees, while this supposed spa, that is included in my tariff, is heated to a slightly higher temperature. Great! Just what I needed after some recent health scares - a nice modern place in natural peaceful surroundings, with grounds for walking, a swimming pool if I feel up to it, a steam room, and a spa bath to relax in!
When I got down to the swimming pool (seperate to the main hotel building - about 4-5minutes' walk away), I couldn't find a spa, so I asked and was told there was NO SPA BATH! Or at least none for guests to use, though apparently there was one in the overpriced Day Spa facility which could be booked for use before the facility shuts at 6pm (the swimming pool and steam room stay open until 8pm). I had a brief look around the day spa facility and couldn't see a spa bath anywhere anyway.
This might be a small thing, but it really disappointed me, and put quite a dampener on my stay here. Nothing was done to lift my spirits following this disappointment, as there had clearly been incorrect information provided to me. The only attempt at recompense was provided by the pleasant staff member (possibly of Sri Lankan or Indian descent - my apologies for not remembering his name!) who offered to arrange a bottle of sparkling wine for me, however I declined this as I don't really drink much alcohol.
Anyway, apart from that, the Sebel Heritage was a modern hotel situated on the grounds of a golf course, with many houses located in the vicinity too - some are probably permanent residents, and some would be the holiday homes of wealthy golf afficionados. Staff were generally very professional and pleasant (though I did overhear the young lady at the swimming pool reception use one profanity while speaking to another staff member on the phone.)
Breakfast at Bella restaurant was very good, cooked to order eggs etc. were included alongside a good selection of buffet items. The cold salmon quiches were fantastic!
Rooms were clean and comfortable, though the lighting was a little difficult to figure out initially. Unfortunately my room on the top (3rd) floor didn't have much of a view, and had very poor hot water pressure in the bathtub - patience was a virtue here and I eventually got to have a hot bath in substitute for a spa!
The design of the bathroom tap/faucet was not well thought out, as it was too short for the sink and made hand washing a little difficult.
The selection of TV channels was adequate, but I noticed the new digital free-to-air channels were not available... only the main free-to-air channels, and some Pay-TV channels.
Internet was not included in the tariff - something I have grown accustomed to after extensive travels throughout SE Asia - and I would have expected internet access to be included in a so-called 1st world country such as Australia! Instead paid internet access was available, I believe the rates were about 55 cents a minute, capped at $29 per 24 hours. Ridiculously expensive!
Overall though, this was a nice place to stay for a relaxing night or two, located far enough out of Chirnside Park to feel like you're out of the city, but close enough to be within an hour of most parts of eastern and southern Melbourne. Everything worked, and if you can get a good deal on Wotif or Travelzoo with breakfast included for around the $159 mark, then it can be a nice getaway. It's certainly no eco-lodge, but the wetland walking trail around the Yarra River is pleasant enough to enjoy and give you a feeling in most parts of being out amongst nature, while the function rooms make the Sebel Heritage a good place for conferences also.

Room Tip: Ask for a valley view room, the garden view rooms didn't have a particularly impressive view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SebelYV, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent getaway.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were provided with incorrect information regarding the spa.

I look forward to sharing your comments with my team and to welcoming you back to the hotel when next you visit the Yarra Valley.

Anthony LoGiusto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
traralgon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was informed that Sebel did not recognise or accept my Advantage Plus Card and at the restraunt I found this most confusing as I booked the accomodation on the Accor Advantage Members site, so the week end was rather expensive the restaurunt was delightful and the room lovely but the staff there were embarrased as I was in presenting my card. consequently I will ring any future bookings to see if the Advantage Plus Card is accepted as we did not get any reward points which is the major ttraction to the membership. we reported this to accor andthey did noy wat to here of it.so we wll rideout the year cautiuosly and will not rejoin. our sentiments will be passed on to those who ask.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SebelYV, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sebel Yarra Valley Lodge on your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies that you were unable to utilise your Advantage Plus membership benefits during your stay. Whilst we are affiliated with the Accor network under a franchise arrangement, we do not participate in their loyalty program.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your next getaway.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Situated in the middle of nowhere, but at the gateway to the Yarra Valley, this makes a good quality base for exploring the wineries and the beautiful valley scenery. The huge manicured complex incorporates a Golf Club with 2 courses and a Spa Retreat, as well as private condos. In general, staff were friendly and helpful, with smooth express check-out a welcome feature. However there was one small issue - our previously made phone booking for dinner at Bella Restaurant seemed to cause them some confusion before we were finally seated and when we wanted to leave and put the cost on the room bill, they could not find our table order. It was as if we had not been entered in for anything and they even referred to us by the wrong surname. Eventually all was sorted. The food was very good, but a small gripe about the wine glasses. Ours appeared to be the only table with clunky backyard standard glassware, not very nice to savour a $70 bottle of red. They were changed over after we mentioned it. Staff service at our table was inconsistent, one moment over-attentive, the next we were abandoned and ignored. Breakfast would have had to be one of the best Australian buffets we have experienced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, but not right near the golf members car park - they start very early...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sebel Yarra Valley Lodge on your recent getaway.

I was disappointed to read that your dining experience in Bella Restaurant was not up to your usual standard and will personally follow up with our Restaurant Manager and the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Yarra Valley.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Generally very happy with the hotel, but a few minor issues.
The rooms are very nice with plenty of seating and access to the grounds through the french doors. My only criticism was of the shower and toilet. I have to say i'm not a big fan of wet rooms, particularly when they dont drain properly, necessitating you having to either dry the floor, or walk through a puddle to get to the toilet for the next couple of hours. Maybe this is why the shower is so feeble and the pressure so low, you can barely get wet...
The towels, while plentiful were old and like cardboard.
We arrived a bit early and wandered over to the golf course side of the hotel for lunch as recommended by reception. There is a lovely view from the cafe over the golf course, unfortunately you can only access this if you are a golf course member, and we were restricted to the back room which is smaller, darker, and has a lovely view of the golf shop...
Service was very slow and it took 35 minutes for a cheese plate to arrive.
We had booked into the restaurant about five days before we arrived, to ensure we had a table. Unfortunately they could find no record of the booking, but squeezed us in anyway at 6:30 pm. As we came out at about 8pm they were turning guests away as they had no tables available, so it could have been a bit tricky if we hadnt gone in so early. The rerastuarant itself was faultless.
Leaving these service issues to one side it is a nice hotel and in a very nice area and we would probably stay here if we were in the area again. Next time we would stop for lunch on the way though..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SebelYV, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley.

We are currently replacing our toweling throughout the hotel and expect to have this completed by Christmas; please accept my sincere apologies that you were not allocated a room where the towelling had already been replaced.

I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable meal in Bella Restaurant. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and can be contacted directly on anthony_logiusto@yarravalleylodge.com or on 03 9760 3341.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We chose Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley to celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary. We were extemely happy with the accommodation and also the Bella resaurant for dinner and breakfast.
Golfing was not on our agenda but we did enjoy a short walk around the property. We did use the Sebel as a base for visiting some of the wineries in the Yarra Valley.
All The Sebel staff were very courteous and checkin/checkout time was quick.

Room Tip: Room with view of golf course.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had a long overdue rest and relaxation weekend at the very accommodating and easy paced Sebel Heritage in the Yarra Valley.
From the room decor, clenliness and fittings to the attention and friendliness of staff we had trouble finding anything to fault about our accommodation and two night stay. Bella restaurant was first class, with enough choices on the menu to happily eat there both nights and our one hour session at the Mii day spa capped off a wonderful experience. Possibly the most pleasing aspect was that for a relatively short trip from Melbourne you really get the feeling that you are well away from the congestion of city living amongst the rolling hills and meandering greens of the golf course. Not being golfers ourselves in no way detracted from our stay and both my wife and I would have no hesitation making the Sebel Yarra Valley our destination in the future for a similar two night break to totally recharge and unwind.

Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel is located in a stunning area that makes you feel very special. The view of the golf course and surrounding area from the room is spectacular. The room itself is of a generous size and quite comfortable. We especially enjoyed the buffet breakfast which seemed to have almost anything you wanted, good value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Yarra Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!