“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toowoon Bay
Sydney, Australia
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years ago (yes review a bit late) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was just sensational. Our accomodation was lovely and the staff excellent. We stayed for our 15 year wedding anniversary and the surprise bottle of champagne in our room was a lovely way to celebrate.

Our room had a spa on the balcony and the view was fantastic. We stayed in the Terrace View Bungalow. Went for a few long walks along the beach (to walk off all the food we ate).

This is a great little resort for couples and a lovely getaway not too far from Sydney. Would love to go back one day.

Room Tip: Terrace View Bungalow was fantastic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beach Hideaway, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay a couple of years ago and so fondly remember your fantastic getaway. It must be nearly time to visit us again, perhaps another anniversary or birthday celebration? The food, accommodation and staff are as wonderful as always and thank you for your kind words. We will proudly display your review for the staff to read and enjoy.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I frequent only high end establishments - we are prepared to pay top dollar and of course expect the very best of service, room quality, facilities and of course food. From the on-set when we first booked Kim's I was anticipating slightly dated rooms - as the photos on the website do look a tad "eighties" with the good old cane furniture and abundance of pine wood panelling. We booked the South Beach pavillion at a cost of approx. $1400 per night. The location of the South Beach pavilion is just simply beautiful with the beach right outside your door it's just stunning! Our predictions were in fact correct though, regarding the room as it was a little dated but with that said very clean and well appointed. Aside from the dated furnishings, which we can see other trip advisor reviewers share a similar observation, the most disspointing issue with this room was the "heated spa" was not heating and was barely luke warm. We had a number of maintenance personal through to the General Manager attend to see why this spa was not working properly and yet nothing was able to be done to rectify this matter. I do believe the General Manager did attempt to mumble something about us not using the spa correctly but this was not at all the problem as clearly the other 2 maintenance personal were also "unable" to rectify the problem. I would not have bothered booking this room if the facilities were not operating correctly - I would have been better off reserving one of the less expensive rooms that did not have it's own pool/spa.

We also indulged in a one hour massage during our stay - I used the word "indulged" loosely as this was probably the worst massage we have ever experienced! Allow me to start off by describing the room in which these massages took place; ugly, unattractive, noisy and one very cold room, this treatment room was reminiscent of a storage room but referred to as the "Pamper Room"! Calling this the Pamper Room is simply misleading and very untruthful. I could hear people in the room above us dragging what sounded like tables/chairs, also people talking and walking around above this "Pamper Room". Now to the massage itself, well as lovely as our therapist was, she had absolutely no skills at all and I highly suspect has had little or no training and if she has, well she must have failed the course miserably. I was lying there wide awake just willing the hour to pass by so I could get out of the cold and uncomfortable room. Our therapist simply slopped some "unheated and cold" oil on our backs and just rubbed in the oil - there was no massage of any kind apart from rather bizarre focus on our gluts region. When she pressed on this area she started to shake - this was really strange! I cannot say I have ever experienced such an uncomfortable massage and would strongly recommend NOT to book in for a massage at Kim's Resort!!!! I would question when was the last time the General Manager booked himself/herself in for a massage to see if their guests are receiving the treatments they are rightfully entitled too??? I acknowledge these therapists are contractors you bring onto the resort but that is irrelevant - you should be regularly monitoring and assessing the quality of these treatments and if you cannot be bothered doing so then you shouldn’t offer these c-grade services to your guests! I would just be embarrassed if my clients were enduring such appalling quality services!

Restaurant served really high quality food with great service. We really enjoyed our meals but we did miss a few meals as we simply did not feel like dining in at the restaurant - there is no room service available. Would have been nice to enjoy breakfast in our room as we had such a lovely private outlook.

We did provide this feedback to the receptionist upon checkout but all we got was "that is unfortunate" in a very overly empathic tone of voice. I am very doubtful that our feedback was passed onto the General Manager as I am still yet to hear anything back from them. The question my husband and I always ask each other is would we go back??? Maybe.......only because the beach is so fabulous but this time I would insist on being moved to another room if the spa/pool was not operating as it should. Would NEVER again book the "Pamper Room" aka Storage Room that is for sure!!!

Room Tip: South Beach Pavilion is the best room in the house! Great spot but just make sure the spa & poo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beach Hideaway, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
We are sorry that you did not enjoy some of the aspects of your recent weekend escape. As I am sure you can appreciate we endeavour to have all features of the room in working order and these are thoroughly checked before your arrival by our housekeeper and maintenance staff. Even our best intentions and procedures on checking rooms can not completely eliminate a maintenance issues occurring during this stay. We appreciate your comments on the massage and are looking into this further. I can however, assure you that the masseuse is fully qualified and trained in a variety of massage therapies. We have not ever received such disappointing comments on any of our masseuses and our Pampering Place and this particular masseuse has been employed with us for the past 8 years. Your comments about the Jacuzzi were noted by the Receptionist and also myself when I attended to your Jacuzzi. We are delighted that you enjoyed the meals, high quality food, great service and our unique hideaway location and look forward to welcoming you again.
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Kims is a place for well heeled Sydney siders to relax. The buffet breakfast and dinner were excellent and hard to fault. If there is a fault it is that it tempts one to eat too much. The best advice is to leave some space for the cheeses.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beach Hideaway, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review and it is nice to hear that you did not go hungry!! I also love the different cheeses and it is good to advise others of the importance of saving some room for the delicious buffet delights. Kims is a beautiful and easy place for Sydney siders to enjoy a romantic escape and we are glad that you found this also. We look forward to your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband & I have been going to Kims now for many years and we love it every time we go there. The Kershaws have always been very welcoming as are their staff. The Reception staff, Dining Room & The Cocktail Lounge staff are always courteous as well as the housekeeping and maintenance staff.

Upon arrival, when you walk through the gate, you feel like you are in another world!

We always stay at the Beachfront Villas where the view is magnificent. The villas are quite spacious with a lounge to sit and relax. In fact, relaxation is what Kims is all about. After meals, we enjoy sitting on the verandah and admiring the view.

The meals are fabulous and there are lots to choices. Before dinner, you can go to the Cocktail Lounge where you can enjoy a variety of cocktails and other drinks. When the weather is colder, the open fire warms up the room and on some nights, there is a pianist and another musician.

We would recommend Kims to those who would like to stay at "a very special place"! You wont be disappointed!

We look forward to returning again early next year and we thank the Kershaws and all the staff again for their courtesy and hospitality.

Room Tip: Beachfront Villas are fabuolous.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It is always our aim for people to be transported to a special place or another world where they are just able to relax and enjoy the experience and time together. Thank you for your beautiful comments on the rooms, the food and our very special staff and management. We appreciate and thank you for returning time and time again and we also look forward to your next escape to Kims.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I paid our second visit to Kims in March. It was several years since our first visit and we were concerned that our expectations might be too high. We weren't worried for long. Kims was just as we remembered. The service warm and welcoming, the food plentiful and fresh. The cocktails brilliant - with the bar tender creating some very special creations.

The location is great. We will be back again.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beach Hideaway, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you have written a lovely review about your second stay in March of this year. We take the most pride in providing consistency and meeting expectations is something we strive to achieve. We are so very pleased that Kims is just as you remembered. We look forward to welcoming you again soon perhaps for another interesting cocktail.
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My now fiance arranged an overnight stay at Kim's to celebrate my birthday, and so it turned out, our engagement. Considering his family have been coming to Toowoon Bay for a week every January for the last 10 or so years, it was very surprising that no one ever new what layed behind the large wooden gate, and what a shame, because a place like this should be known!! From the moment we arrived, the staff were super friendly, even personally showing us to our room and explaining all the features and meal times. We arrived for lunch on the first day and what a feast we had. Although it was a buffet, it was the most amazing buffet we have ever had. The variety was outstanding and the quality superb. We at so much, we weren't sure we would make it back for dinner. But after a dip in our private heated Jacuzzi, we found our appetite again. The seafood buffet dinner was lovely. Not as big of a range of seafood as first thought, but the quality was 5 star and we left with full belly's again. Breakfast was again very good, with a large selection of quality home made food, but I was hoping they would have had a larger choice of pastries. As for the rooms, they were beautifully set out. Very appropriate for the surroundings. We literally felt like were were in a jungle somewhere, because with all the trees, we couldn't really see any other bungalows. The king size bed and array of pillows were very comfortable, and we were surprised with a turn down service when arriving back after dinner (which I think should be mentioned to guests, as we had clothes and stuff everywhere, which we would have tidied up if we knew the were providing the service). While I think the price is slightly expensive, I highly recommend this place to anyone, and can't wait to stay here again, hopefully longer next time!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beach Hideaway, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Firstly may we congratulate you both on your engagement. We are delighted that you enjoyed your birthday celebration at Kims too. Thank you for the lovely comments about your stay and we hope that many more people discover the magic of Kims behind the wooden gates! We will proudly display your review for all our staff to see as they appreciate knowing that the food was immensely enjoyed and that even things like the quality of the pillows chosen was found to be a good choice. We will also look forward to welcoming you again for a longer visit.
Maitland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed at Kim's for our wedding anniversary and it was spectacular. We chose one of the Terrace Spa Bungalows (named Hillside) and it was perfect, with privacy, beautiful filtered water views, an amazing shower and spa bath and just fabulous jacuzzi which was totally private but still with great views. From the welcome at reception to the service in the bar and restaurant and the lovely turndown service, we could not fault a thing. The food was buffet style, and the seafood at dinner was cold, fresh and tasted delicious. Only thing I think they could improve on is the toiletries in the bathroom - when the facilities are so amazing, high quality toiletries I think are a must! Already planning when we can get back there!

Room Tip: We stayed in Hillside, which offered privacy with lovely views. I loved the decor and layout of the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beach Hideaway, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We are delighted that you choose Kims for your wedding anniversary celebration and that you enjoyed the special features of your accommodation and the wonderful service provided by our staff. Thank you also for the comments on the food and how delicious it tasted, our Chef’s will be pleased. I will show the staff a copy of your review as they are always so pleased to read what our guests are saying. I appreciate your comment on the guest toiletries and will have our Housekeeping Supervisor review this. We look forward to welcoming you again to Kims soon.

Been to Kims Beach Hideaway? Share your experiences!