“Charming on the surface” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Restaurants in Fairfield
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Metz, France
“Charming on the surface”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Like the other reviewers, I agree that the location on the Yarra River makes for a splendid and idyllic view. The downside is the price of the food and beverages on offer - $9.50 for scones?! $6 for an old-fashioned spider?!?! and despite knowing better, we went ahead and bought food and drinks. There was a mix-up with the order for one in our party - she's lactose intolerant and asked for soy, and was given regular milk anyway.
It's very pretty to look at, but eating in there is another thing. Best come on a full stomach just to take photos, I say.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Expensive & average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The good - Nice location on the Yarra River.
The bad - very expensive for very average food, especially given there is no table service. There are too many good places to eat, give this on a miss.

melbourne
“Nice position expensive and now extra 2% for credit card”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I guess they think they have you over a barrel with the position. Used to be a pleasant spot to get un fussy reasonable value food. Now food is expensive and to boot they have wacked a 2% loading on credit cards. This is a cop out for a restaurant already at the top end of the price range for what they sell. Be the last time I bother to take the family, plenty of other places to feed the ducks with the grand kids.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice setting, but the food and service left a lot to be desired.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I met a friend for lunch. Getting there was difficult for me as I was on crutches. I phoned first and was told if I was going on a weekday I could drive right down the hill, which I did. It is certainly not disabled friendly.
We ordered the same dish for lunch and were later approached at out table to say they had only one left, so my friend ordered something different. We waited ages with no sign of the food. When finally we asked, we were told they had doubled-booked the last dish I wanted. I wanted vegetarian food and what they gave me as a replacement was a tasteless medley of salad and roast potato. My friend had a slaw that was so swimming in dressing it was almost inedible.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kulnura, Australia
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

What a great place, full of old world charm, lovely food, friendly staff. If you want you can hire a row boat and enjoy time on the Yarra.

• Visited September 2013