“Business turned pleassure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments

Save Saved
You added Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments to your Saves list
Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1142 Mount Alexander rd, Essendon, Moonee Valley, Victoria 3040, Australia   |
“Business turned pleassure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I came here for a business meeting and conference we were having here. The conference room was actually really good and we will be going back there again for more meetings. I wasn't expecting much from the hotel or the area, but it turned out to be pretty nice so we ended up staying on longer and enjoyed it.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Bminutoli,
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed both the accommodation and conferencing facilities at Punthill Essendon, and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill soon.

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brighton, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I think if I booked through the hotel rather than reservations I would not have had to pay 45 extra for my 9 year old who slept on the couch as I told reservations he would.

We just needed somewhere to stay for 2 nights while we waited out me being sick and because the princes Park couldn't accommodate us for the full 3 nights.

Location is great. Good coffee downstairs. Don't go to that thai down stairs go to Niddrie instead and go to the thai there it is better. It's not bad thai just not great.

Tram outside door.

Rooms clean. Although some things needed replacing. Holes in bed linen wasn't something I was impressed with.

TV in bedroom didn't work.

Bathroom was quite clean. Mould and grime though needed some attention. But it is undergoing renovations so I am hoping they would update the bathroom.

Bed want particularly comfortable but again in reno stage so that might get upgraded.

A bit expensive compared to a better accommodation down the road for $100 cheaper. Just wasn't available both nights and we needed somewhere.

I think when renovations are complete these will be a decent little apartment to stay in.

Staff Were friendly.

Housekeeping decided because We don't drink instant coffee that they didn't have to refill tea. Which annoyed me as there Were only 4 teabags. 2 cups each for my husband and I.
So I brought tea from downstairs

And towels. 2 towels were supplied and I had to Ask for another towel.

Towels were very thin and small.

i

• Stayed August 2013
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Natalie S,
Thank you for your feedback regarding Punthill Essendon.
If there is a third guest staying in any of our one bedroom apartments on a sofa bed, then an additional fee will be charged, irrespective of how the booking was made.
We have noted all your comments and are appreciative of your review as it enables us to address areas that need improvement.
The bedroom has a new digital TV and we are not sure why you found it did not work as it is functioning perfectly.
We do hope that we are given the opportunity of welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Punt Hill apartments several times in the past, and found them to be clean and modern. We have always found the individual split systems inadequate for the size of the rooms/apartments and they need to be left on for hours until the room temperature is comfortable. I have some issues with the bathrooms, as the shower screens are inadequate and water ends up all over the floor no matter how much you try to stop it. I have stayed in all the different rooms types, the 2 bedroom apartment, the 1 bedroom and the hotel room style studio.The apartment complex is extremely well situated for local restaurants, public transport, freeway access to both Tullamarine airport and Melbourne city, Essendon DFO and there is a Coles supermarket in the adjacent parking lot. The management has apparently changed hands in the last twelve months and the new staff were pleasant, but didn't seem to have enough experience in handling customers. This time we were unlucky to be given rooms directly on Keilor Road in the original section of the former hotel. Not only were these rooms freezing, even with the split systems running non-stop for hours, but the traffic noise from the huge roundabout and the numerous trams that start at 5am and run until after midnight was deafening: as was the noise level from compressors of the heating units both outside and directly above our rooms. The higher rooms (2nd floor and above) are actually set back a bit more from the road, and even though some are at the front they are part of the new build and probably much better insulated for both temperature and noise. We politely asked if it was possible to be relocated, but were told that they were at 100% capacity and that was not possible. End of story. We have stayed there annually for several years and book a number of rooms for our interstate and local staff, but we were told that unless we request a specific room on booking then it is pretty much bad luck. In the past we have often been upgraded to apartments and have always found the management to be particularly warm and helpful. I understand 100% occupancy, but seeing several people check out the next morning I would have thought that it was good management to either move us, or at least take the time to once again at least acknowledge our complaint. I made it plain that our company would not be back again next year, but that had absolutely no impact. My final whinge is that something appears to also have changed in the onsite restaurant because the coffee served every morning was almost the worst I have ever had anywhere in the world. Melbourne is renown for our coffee, but this was embarrassingly bad. I would recommend these apartments as long as you insist on not being given a room on the first floor at the front.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the first floor at the front of the hotel under any circumstances! Do not d...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear MelbourneLeapy,
Thank you for your detailed review.
As mentioned, the location is excellent and the property has recently been recarpeted and repainted and looks great.
Regarding the split systems, guests do seem to find them adequate and each bed does have an electric blanket, and extra blankets are available in the cupboards.
The staff have now been at the property for some time. It seems that you possibly assumed that a code was needed for the carpark when this was not the case.
We do make every effort to comply with all special requests and go out of our way to ensure that guests preferences are accommodated. Whilst we were unable to move you immediately, or to offer you the upgrade you had received on prior occasions, we did offer to move you the following day. We feel we did everything we could to make you comfortable and feel really disappointed and are so sorry that we clearly did not reach your expectations.
We of course are happy to upgrade guests if we have availability but this is usually impossible due to high occupancy.
Since you have enjoyed our accommodation in the past, we do hope that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Please do request an apartment facing the back of the property and we will go out of our way to comply.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here on the weekend. There was a few of us so we got a 2 bedroom apartment which was massive - huge lounge dining area!!! Close to restaurants and shops also. Alisha and James the resident managers are very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: If you are after space - book an apartment!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear SVE86,
Thanks so much for your favourable comments regarding Punthill Essendon.
We are delighted to know that you had such an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill another time.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Really enjoyed my two weeks at the Punthill Essendon. The apartments are a handy 2min walk to the tram and close to the train station - not to mention the many cafe's and restaurants all within walking distances.
I experienced noisy neighbors one evening and was pleased to find the managers very helpful with the issue the next morning. They were able to offer a room change and also notified me later in the day by a letter notifying that my neighbors had also been approached.
My room was serviced everyday and was very clean and spacious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear AshleighFergus,
Thanks so much for your review of Punthill Essendon.
Customer service is of the utmost importance at Punthill and our front office team at Punthill Essendon will be extremely pleased to know that all your concerns were addressed promptly and the outcomes so appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.
adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

good place to stay clean and quiet. they have kitchens, and washer/dryer in the rooms.A/C is good and quiet.. there are restaraunts all around the area as well as a grocery store directly on the side of the hotel, also a 7-11 next door. also banks,bars,and shopping and trolley within 1 to 3 blocks away.

Room Tip: avoid staying in rooms directly facing the street,, as the round about in front of the hotel is extr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear durk s,
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your comments regarding Punthill Essendon.
This apartment hotel is ideally situated close to many shops, cafes, supermarket and public transport as you mentioned, and we are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

While my husband was on work assignment in the Melbourne area, we spent about 5 weeks at the Punthill Essendon apartments and enjoyed our stay very much. I did think that the halls were very dark and gloomy but the apartments themselves were very nice. I felt very safe and secure since a passkey was needed to enter ride the elevators and enter the parking garage. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. I liked having the train, neighborhood park and shopping areas nearby. I wish I could go back for another visit very soon. I will always fondly remember our stay at Punthill Essendon.

Room Tip: We stayed at a front room and had a lot of traffic noise when we opened the patio door.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear mtnluci,
It is fantastic to read that you so enjoyed your recent extended stay in Melbourne at Punthill Essendon. Our team at the property will be thrilled to know that you found all the comforts of home in the apartment, and that you also explored the area so thoroughly!
We hope to welcome you back to Punthill should your travels include Melbourne again in the future.
Kind regards,

Been to Punthill Essendon Grand Apartments? Share your experiences!