“Wont be back” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Mercure The Hills Lodge

You added Grand Mercure The Hills Lodge to your Saves list
Grand Mercure The Hills Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Salisbury Rd (Corner Windsor Rd), Castle Hill, The Hills Shire, New South Wales 2154, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Hill
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canberra
“Wont be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

I first stayed at the Hills Lodge 10 years ago. That visit was okay and what I would expect from a Hotel located in the suburbs. Good but not great. After this visit I will not be back.
The room was clean, tidy and comfortable but certainly not outstanding. Decor and furnishings looking a little tired.
I rang to reserve a table the night before in the restaurant for breakfast the morning we were leaving and this was confirmed. Next morning when we asked for our table we were told that the restaturant does not take bookings for breakfast and there was no record of our booking. We were given a table that was two tables away from a larger table that had a reserved sign.
We chose the $25.00 buffet breakfast and proceeded to get our food. The Coffee urn was empty so I let a lady who was collecting empty plates know. The urn was not refilled at all in the hour we were there.
We wanted a hot breakfast but found that the only eggs on offer were scrambled and that the bacon and sausage warmers were empty. A lady from the kitchen assured us that she would be bringing out more food any minute. There were 5 people waiting and when the food was finally brought out it was gone by the third person as only a ridiculously small amount of bacon and sausages were brought out. This went on the whole hour we were there, big line up, virtually no food brought out time and time again. If the restaurant was empty I could understand that they would not want to cook too much but the restaurant was nearly full.
We gave up on the cooked breakfast and decided on toast but there was no bread. When half a loaf was brought out it was gone in seconds.
When we tried to pay for breakfast the till had timed out and the lady could not login so we were required to go to the front desk to pay.
Later as we were checking out we were told that we just needed to pay for our breakfast and we could be on our way. We explained that we had in fact already paid. They had no record of our payment. Another lady who was on the front desk yelled out that yes she did remember someone paying for their breakfast about an hour ago. We then finally had our bill settled.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Hotel staff were fantastic very helpful and friendly. We had a great time and they looked after our large family really well. Great sized rooms and the heated pool was a bonus on a rainy day for all the children

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I was happy with my stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Edgeworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised. The Hotel was quiet, clean, well presented. The staff were lovely and the service was exceptional. The bed was very comfortable and the amenities were second to none....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
coxyboy64
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

You would expect to be greeted with a smile as soon as you walk in the door instead i was left to wait 5-10minutes simply to check in. I could hear people in the office laughing and talking while i tried to get the attention, but obviously talking and fellow workers in alot more important.
That was not my only problem, after finally checking in i was given the key to my room only to find out once opening the door my room had yet to be cleaned from the previous guest and even worse so much for non smoking room!?
I called reception to see why my room smelt of smoke and had not yet been cleaned only to find my phone did not work, so i went to reception in person and told then of my problems and was given a complementary dinner voucher.
later that night i went to use my voucher hoping for a relaxing stress free dinner.well was i in for a surprise. I waited 20minutes for bread and was given the wrong beer, my entree of duck ravioli was cold, and the stuffing was not even cooked. i sent it back to the kitchen only to be given a replace which still was not cooked properly. i ordered a beef fillet with hand cut chips medium, the steak may as well have been charcoal, it was burnt over cooked and not even seasoned, let alone the hand cut chips where soggy and not seasoned as well. i sent the meal back and asked for no replacment.
I went back to my room hoping to get a good night sleep. the bed was as hard as a rock, the pillows may as well have been a peice of paper they where that soft, as soon as i placed my head on it there was nothing left of the pillow.
I would not recommend the hills lodge to anyone. i would have rather have slept on the streets or in a budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

I was surprised to read the comments from the previous reviewer. Maybe I just had a dud room etc. but I didnt think much of the place at all. Maybe if you made sure you got a good room then the experience might be different.

It is set in nice grounds and it does look appealing from the outside but I thought the room very ordinary and ho hum and the room service menu was not very inspiring with very ordinary food.

The thing for me was the exterior noise. It was unbearable - so much so that I had to pop my head out the door at laeast once to ask people to keep the noise down [it was 3am after all].

There was a nice balcony area but mine only overlooked the bar/restaurant and I got a lot of noise from that too until that area closed. So all in all I didnt get much sleep.

The other thing I didnt like was that there didnt appear to be any lifts - I mean there may be lifts in some other parts of the building, but not where I was. So if you are thinking of staying here and have special needs I would check that out first. I was on crutches so it was not very pleasant struggling up stairs with bags and I got no assistance from the staff at all.

I only stayed here because the Crowne Plaza was full and I dont honestly think I would stay here again.

• Disliked — Too noisy
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Mercure The Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!