“The service was great but we will never go back.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blake's

Blake's
1/33 Terminus Street, Castle Hill, The Hills Shire, New South Wales 2154, Australia
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 56 Restaurants in Castle Hill
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“The service was great but we will never go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I would have thought that the idea of using a Scoopon Deal to get people into your restaurant for the first time would have been to make sure that they not only had a good meal but they enjoyed the night out so you would get them to come back again and again. The owner does not see it that way as we will not be going back and I also be letting friends know about our night at Blake's.
The waitress staff were all great but I feel sure they will all be looking for new jobs soon as I don't believe there doors will stay open for much longer.
The first mistake was made when we were told that if we chose any of the "mains" that had an asterisk next to the price, there would be a $6.00 surcharge. I pointed out that I would not be paying any surcharge as there was on mention of this on the Scoopon which I had just over to her. She very politely said that other customers had also pointed this out and she had discussed this with the manager but had be told to tell customers about the extra $6.00. Again I said that I would not be paying the extra if either of us chose one of the five asterisk mains. Again she whispered politely that she would not charge us the extra if we decided on one of these mains. (This is no way to run a business.) It turned out that neither of us did order one of these mains but we had discovered the sort of place we were in.
The three entrees arrived on plate which were all very small, which was a very good thing as they were not very good. There was a bowl of calamari rings which I was convinced had come out of a frozen packet, a cream of cauliflower soup, which had a good texture but we far to salty and am a person that uses salt and shredded pork on rice which tasted like pieces of boiled pork which were left over from making stock and pulled apart which was fairly tasteless but the rice was cooked well.
For mains my wife ordered the King prawn penne Claudia with garlic, white wine, cream, parmesan and a little chili.This was fine but not spectacular for its $33.00 price. I ordered The Crusted barramundi fillet on mash with sweet pea puree after checking where the barramundi had come from and being told that is was "wild caught in the NT". Not only did the fillet have bones it was uneatable as it was pappy and tasteless. I felt it had been defrosted in hot water just before it was cooked. I told the waitress that it could not be eaten and all she could do was to say sorry as I assumed they had been told that meals would not be replaced no mater what the problem was.
The desert plate arrived which contained two small plastic glasses of red jelly with a pink moose top, two small coffee cups of apple and blueberry crumble and another two small coffee cups of creme brulee. The latter two were the best part of the meal along with the one year old bottle of red which was included in the deal.
The real shame is that we are locals and we hoping for a new "favourite". .

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Tweed Heads
“A re-reate of Blake's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My friend & I used to dine at Blake's frequently & loved it - see my earlier review, however earlier this year we visited & it had changed hands. The place had none of the old atmosphere. We were seated inside & yet the place was full of flying bugs. The wait staff looked & acted like it was the 1st night & the service was terrible. We looked at the menu which had obviously changed as well & after much deliberation & an ordinary garlic bread, decided not to stay. Blake's had changed regrettably forever. We will miss you Louise & Dirk

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Enjoyed the Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I would recommend this place for a quiet dinner in a pleasent atmosphere. Each dish we had was tasty, the mains were decent serving size as well, for the price it was worth it.We were seated in front of the kitchen, if you're after a romantic night out ask for a table away from the kitchen - less traffic too. Overall we had a good night!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Misleading menu with average food and awful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I don't write reviews, but needed to tonight after my experience here.
For the price, you expect good service but it was abysmal. The staff were standing around clumsy and confused - and when we ordered a bottle of expensive wine, they just plonked it down on the table and walked away. We waited for them to come back to pour, but they never did.
The menu is misleading. Prices are listed, but an asterisk against most of the mains meant a "$6 surcharge applied". Confused we asked what this meant and was told that the manager said that these items had top quality ingredients so a surcharge was applied. This means a steak listed as $36 actually cost $42. This is insane! Just list the correct price! Understand for seasonal and market priced goods, but for the majority of your mains and you can't even give a good reason when asked? Rip off and misleading.
Very disappointing all around, so spend your money elsewhere

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
sydney
“Good food, we enjoyed the night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Four of us ate here with two scoopon's, and were very happy with the food. There was plenty of it, so pace yourself! It is nothing fancy but everything tasted and was cooked well. I would visit again.

My only complaint was about the booking procedure. You cannot speak to someone to book and have to email via an online form. I am okay with that, but expect a response within 48 hours. I filled the form in sunday night and no response by wednesday. I left a message on the phone voicemail that day and still no response by thursday. Finally when I filled in the online form again on thursday I got a response that the table was confirmed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere