“Rooms could do with a make over” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Bankstown

You added Rydges Bankstown to your Saves list
Rydges Bankstown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   874 Hume Highway,Bass Hill, | NSW, Bass Hill, Bankstown, New South Wales 2197, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bass Hill
Katoomba, Australia
“Rooms could do with a make over”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The lobby are is still presentable though empty of staff. Thought I would have to check myself in until someone showed up they were not used to the system for checking in. I had a feeling that they were in fact wait staff. Corridor was clean but had trollies and odd chairs stacked here and there. Booked a suite expecting a dining table and kitchenette as per Rydges North Sydney but basically had only a room with a big bed, a lounge and a spa. Carpet was dirty and the lounge worn. Bed was great. Instant coffee and tea available but no biscuits which I would expect for the price, had to boil the jug on the floor next to the bed as it was the only power outlet that could accomodate the extremely short power lead. Breakfast was delevered to the room but with no table or chairs to eat it at. Food was good but who ever read our order, didn't, as we didn't recieve all the selected items. Would stay there again but only if I really had too, much prefer Rydges North Sydney.

Room Tip: Would not bother with a suite as it was basically a room with a spa. Rydges North Sydney have suites...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here as it was an emergency trip and accommodation was not available elsewhere. The check in process was ok, although the staff member seemed confused when I asked for a colleagues charges to be routed my room as they don't have a business credit card. I then went to my room and found the bed to messed up like someone had been laying on it, the bathroom floor wet, the only towel in the room was wet, the soap had been used and a soiled nappy in the bin. The electrical appliances and lights were unusual locations and most were unplugged and there was scribble all over the desk and note pad. I rang reception to suggest that perhaps people were staying in here and I should be moved to another room, I was assured that no one was in it and housekeeping would be sent up when they can to check my room. The refused to move me to another room house keeping came about thirty minutes later and gave me a towel and some soap, I asked them to to make my room up properly (change the sheets, remove rubbish, etc) which I was told it was too late for that but if I place the rubbish in the hall someone will take it. Since there was no other accom around I had no choice but to sleep on my towel rather than dirty sheets.

This issue made me late for dinner with my colleague, that was fine I figured they would be having a drink in the bar, but when I eventually got down there the whole restaurant was closed for a private function and the bar was only doing drinks not food. If you can't accommodate your guests and a function don't book functions.

The next morning I was offered no apology or anything.

I have always steered colleagues and any one who will listen away from this place and I would strongly recommend you do too.

I usually try and find positives but I could not this time.

Room Tip: Stay else where
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Glen, Poor effot on our part. Thanks for the letting me know and I have addressed this with the team. Occassionally we hold functions in the restaurant, however this only happens once or twice a year, so I am sure next time you will be able try the restaurant. It would be great if you give me a call sometime I would like to discuss a couple of the issues you had further with me. Thanks Brett
Shoalhaven, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Wow. What a difference a year makes. This hotel sdoesn't seem like anyone has cleaned/painted since this time last year. We were not recognised as members, offered no drink, no newspaper...zilch.
The room size and bed comfort was, as always, great. however cleanliness is extremely poor.
Used underpants/socks and sandals under the bed - the children found those !!
Food scraps in the corner. Mouldy/unsealed bath are. Unvacuumed halls and a distinct smell throughout the facility.
The cleaners dominate the lifts and refuse to allow you entry if they are in there. They then proceed to park their trolley half in and half out of the door, so the lift is out of service for all guests. However, as a tip, just push the trolley out of the lift and get in. They give you a dirty look, but it is better than taking the stairs.
For the price, it is no longer worth paying the extra when the Bankstown Sports Club travelodge is so close and such a fantastic venue. We only stayed at Rydges out of loyalty, but that loyalty was not reciprocated.
Seems like Rydges now cater to overseas bulk tourism operators, and no longer care about their bread and butter.
Thank goodeness we check out tomorrow.

Room Tip: All rooms are standard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi Douglas,

I have some good news for you! In January the hotel started a refreshment of their rooms, beginning with the painting of our guest rooms followed by some changes in furniture.

Appreciate you letting me know about the lift being held up. I have had a chat with them and I am confident this will not happen anymore.

Most of the feedback from our guests is that we are far superior to the Travelodge so I hope you give us another crack this year.

Cheers,
Brett
Gladstone, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

was not happy with the breakfast as we only had continential breakfast and got charge for a full one . my partner ask for soymilk both mornings we were there and the first it was to much of a hassle for the lady to have a look for it . and the second mornin we ask for it they said they had it but didnt bring any out to us . beds were way to soft .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian,

Thanks for the note.

I will have a chat to the team about the Soy Milk and make sure it always available on the breakfast buffet.

Regards,
Brett
Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Rydges Bankstown should be rated 5 starts rather than 4! I didnt waste time where applying for my Platnium Priority Membership is concerned! Another perk to contribute to my all round comfortable stay. With reduced rates of 20% for room bookings and also 20% off in the restaurant, why would I stay anywhere else?
Everytime I visit, I am greeted warlmy by there friendly reception staff who always go right out of their way to assist where possible. Always willing to answer my questions with care and meet my somtimes difficult demands, the front desk staff are 110% supportive.
Rydges Bankstown, my favourite place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Deanna D,

Thankyou for your recent feedback regarding your stay at Rydges Bankstown. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the staff looked after you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Enjoyed a fabulous conference and buffet lunch at the Rydges Bankstown. Organising was made easy and the food was delicious. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our group had a wonderful time, it was a great way to start off our Christmas season, thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rose M,

Thankyou for your recent feedback regarding your function at Rydges Bankstown, It is great to hear that you had a nice time and we could offer a positive finish to the year for you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next year for your Christmas Party.

Bowral, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have been a return customer of the Rydges Bankstown over the past 5 years as it is convenient to get to Homebush - it is a comfortable 20 min drive to the Homebush Bay area and also for the Rydges badge.
I recently spent three nights here but unfortunately due to my experience I won’t be returning again.
The positives of the stay were the comfortable Rydges bed and for the quietness of the room (this is helped if you choose the rear half of the building.) I paid the extra dollars to have one of the largest rooms on the floor the spa suite which included a balcony. The room is comfortable, I don’t know where the great magazine selection has disappeared to, but it may be with the toiletries that were close to non existent.
We had a booking of 11 people in the Rydges restaurant for dinner – the menu was displayed in the elevator but when you went to order it in the restaurant they said that that menu was wrong. The food was also quite pricey for what you got. I ordered the 200gm steak with mushroom sauce – I specifically asked for no fries but a side of vegetables. The steak came out (200gm was a gross exaggeration of what was served up), 3 cherry tomatoes and a bowl of fries. I waited patiently for my vegetables and eventually had to ask for them, but by the time he returned with them (10-15mins later) my 3 tomatoes along with my 3 bites of steak had been consumed. It was an uninspiring menu followed up with uninspiring tastes… This was further backed up by the hot buffet breakfast served up in the mornings. A complete lack of choice, watered down juices, empty buffet – which we had to request be topped up, even the plain normal black tea jar was empty. We forewent the breakfast on our third morning despite having paid for it as the Mcdonalds next door seemed more appealing.
The following is what distressed me the most about my stay here. After leaving the restaurant I adjourned to my room with my visiting sisters and sat out on the balcony. The balcony overlooks the hotels/restaurant designated smoking area. Whilst sitting outside on the balcony my sisters lit up a cigarette. We were chatting on the balcony for about 2 hours and noticed a guy walking a dog in the below empty carpark. He called up to us and yelled out that smoking was prohibited on the balcony and carried on about it for quite some time. No problem my sisters put out their cigarette and soon after that we decided to call it a night. My sisters left the Rydges and I went to sleep. Shortly after that there was a loud banging on my door. I got up to answer it and here was the security guard accusing me of smoking and threatning me with a $200 fine. He also was insistent on looking into the room – which was pitch black as there were 3 children asleep . He was very threatning and his banging was heard by one of the children who was quite alarmed by the loud knocking. The same security guard and dog was also inside the building down near the restaurant/bar area – which I would assume to be a breach of health regulations. I think the security guard needs to be reminded that guests are paying to stay here and yet he treated them like he was a dorm master in a boarding school.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear BecB38,

Thankyou for your recent feedback regarding your recents stay with us, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced during your recent stay at the hotel.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated as it gives the team and management with an opportunity to evaluate existing operations and procedures.Your reccommendations will definitely assist in improving the quality of the hotel product and service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Brett Barlow

Been to Rydges Bankstown? Share your experiences!