“Bankstown Beauty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Bankstown

Save Saved
You added Rydges Bankstown to your Saves list
Rydges Bankstown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   874 Hume Highway,Bass Hill, | NSW, Bass Hill, Bankstown, New South Wales 2197, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Bass Hill
Adelaide, Australia
“Bankstown Beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Up here on business and was booked into Rydge's Bankstown. You are a long way out West so unless its business you are here for then stay some where closer to the city. Cab cost me $70 from the airport and that was apparently a fast trip of 39 minutes due to no traffic!

There are no restaurants in the local vicinity so you have the options of MacDonald's or Hungry Jacks out on the highway or you can eat in the hotel restaurant. The menu is fine but unfortunately the quality that came out of the kitchen was a bit ordinary. The medium rare Wagu steak arrived well done and the chicken snitzy was as dry as a pair of old boots. However the desert menu was lovely! Maybe a bad night in the kitchen?

The restaurant isn't that inviting and could do with a bit more light as it's quite dark in places, on the upside there is a nice little bar to have a pre-dinner cocktail before you go in.

The room itself is a bit of a contradiction, it looks like the rooms have had a make over in recent times. The room I was in had a state of the art audio visual system that allowed you to connect your video camera, laptop pc, HDMI connection plus a USB power outlet and connect them all to a flat screen television on the wall. There is also hotel internet connection available and a decent enough desk to work off.

Other than bedside lights and a light on the desk there isn't any ceiling light in the living area so it's all a bit dark. On the other side of the room it was all a bit tired. The bedside tables had cigarette burns even though it was a non smoking floor (you could often smell ciggie smoke in the corridor due to people smoking in the fore escape).

The bed was great which is all you really need, comfortable with some nice pillows and very adequate. Aircon a bit noisy so I turned it off and put up with a warm room.

The bathroom has had some new fittings installed but the upgrade spoilt by a lack of a paint job.

All in all it's quite a nice place and good value for what you pay for a room. It's not City 5 star quality but quite OK. I would stay here again if I had to come out West.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear GeoffAWard,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us, I am glad to hear that most of your stay was an enjoyable one.

We are continuosly in the process of revamping our bathrooms however as you can imagine this is a timely process, juggling hotel guests and providing the best possible service while updating the look and feel of the rooms.

We are also in the process of transforming our restaurant so it is more of an inviting area and comfortable for all guests, we are also in the process of changing our menu so I look forward to having you back next time to sample what we have on offer.

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at the Rydges Bankstown over the weekend for a family wedding. Check in was a breeze, staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean tidy and cosy, had just what we needed!
Breakfast had a lot of variety seeing as though I am a fussy eater I very much enjoyed the fresh selections of fruit and yoghurts. Will definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Stacey B,

Thank you for such positive feedback, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I must say your rooms are better than Cronulla Ridges, clean, comfortable and comfy beds. Room service was good but little pricey when you only wanting a snack. Breakfast could do with little more of turn over of food. One thing I did notice was little things missing was coffee,milk, no shower cap, no bin in bathroom, otherwise accomodation was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CrystalBlue71,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to hear that you had a comfy nights sleep in our Dream Bed.

Your feedback we have taken on board and are always looking for ways to improve services at the hotel, I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Good location for business in the area, no doubt one of the better hotels and free parking is great. Overall I was happy with the room however it didn't appear terribly clean, there were long dark hairs on all the towels and blond and black hair in the bed, there was also a fingernail on the floor. Room service was prompt and the food was nice and generally reception staff were very pleasant and helpful however I was quoted at least $15 more for booking over the phone vs the website and was not informed of the cheaper options until I specifically asked.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Shan,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues raised in your feedback. I have discussed these issues with our housekeeping to ensure that they do not occur in future.

Ali Ulus
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having stayed there for 2 nights, the room was pleasant enough - clean and comfortable, although old and tired-looking. Free parking was good, location good, room was serviced promptly and done well. I would have rated this 4/5, but given my previous stay at other Rydges Hotel (in Perth and Port Macquarie), the standard of Rydges Bankstown was not as high. But having said that, this is probably one of the better hotels in Bankstown and its surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback, we like to think we are one of the best hotels in Bankstown aswell.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the room and free parking these days is always an added benefit. We look forward to welcoming you on your next stay with us.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you work in the Bankstown area, there are not a lot of good hotels to stay at. So I booked the Rydges. For the price the only good thing was the free parking and the comfy bed! I ate at the restrauant and the food was horrible! It was a Tuesday night, so there were only 6 people in the restrauant, and it took them over a hour to bring out a pasta and burger! However, to their credit they gave us a 10% discount and a free hot chocolate after they asked us for our opinion. In summary, only sleep, but don't eat there!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the beds.

We are currently working on our restaurant and are in the process of recruiting more wait staff. We would love for you to come back next time you’re in the area to see the improvements we have made.
Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I booked at the Rydges (formerly the Green tree Inn) through Wotif. I selected a Spa room upgrade as we where staying three nights and would arrive after being in a car for about six hours, The Spa sounded lovely. The location is good for us as we have family on both sides with in a couple of kilometres.

I found the room dirty and old (the spa is from the eighties) and I believe it was last cleaned in the nineties. Having served in the infantry I am accustom to swimming in a mud hole or two so I was not put off by the mould, grey surfaces, chipped tiles etc. My wife a nurse refused to join me opting for a quick shower.

Had I been able to locate a staff member I would have made a complaint but that is unfair, on check in Alan did quickly bring us a second luggage stand and a jug of fresh milk and my wife was able to locate someone from house keeping on the second day to have them wash our used cups and glasses and replenish the towels though my two year old granddaughter could have done a better job pulling up the bed.

Having been in hospitality for twenty years after leaving the military I know some places do not consider it worthwhile to remake the bed when a guest is staying over but when they don't reduce the rate I personally feel 'RIPPED OFF" wouldn't you. Personally I like the feel of new sheets each night when on a trip adds more class to a stay, I believe.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 301 right near the lifts but did not hear them. The bed was nice, soft overlay...