“Not great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 39 Restaurants in Big Bear Lake
Cuisines: Chinese
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The owners had two restaurants - China town buffet by the airport which was closed down and a second restaurant on Big Bear Blvd newly named Dynasty. The China Town Buffet had some Dept of Health issues and then there were some legal issues with their lease (rumor) which caused them to consolidate to the Dynasty. The food is below average - at least what I had there 6 years ago. My church group would go for lunch buffet which was stale (not many eat here so food sits). I went back for lunch buffet recently, hoping for a change since there is only one restaurant now, but it was the same. However, friends wanted Chinese for dinner one night and I had shrimp and snow pea dinner and it was very good. It was fresh not buffet.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Quiet, Ok Food, Friendly Owners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family was craving warm Asian food, and we found this place amongst the sea of cafes, diners, sports bars, and steakhouses. Although there seemed to be a Japanese restaurant, it looked closed, so to Dynasty's Szechuan food(that's what it said on the brochure), we went.

While we do appreciate that even such a restaurants exists at Big Bear, I can't say the food was too memorable. Being a vegetarian, I order the Buddha's Feast, while my family ordered the won ton soup, almond chicken, chicken chow mein, and beef with broccoli. None of the food was terrible, but like I said, it wasn't terribly delicious either. In fact, I was expecting lots of flavor, but finding very little, I ended up adding in lots of red chili sauce (I live for spicy foods), and my family did the same, which was surprising since Szechuan cuisine, I thought, was supposed to be spicier.

The owner and our server were very kind and very welcoming. I felt a bit bad for our server because she seemed to be the only one serving the entire restaurant, but she was still attentive and prompt. Overall, I'm a bit ambivalent.

Glad to have this alternative, but wished it was a little better.

• Visited September 2013
“not to good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

this restauant has been going down hill fast. the selection is meager the quality marginal, and the mongolian bbq terrible. the plates were dirty the ingrediants were spilled all over each other. all together a poor dining experiance

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“RESTAURANT CHANGE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The owner of this restaurant has closed the buffet and has moved the Mardarin Garden Restaurant (formerly located at the Big Bear City Airport) into this space. The restaurant name has been changed from the Chinatown Buffet to the Mandarin Garden and he has retained the mongolian BBQ at this location. While the food off the menu is good when the owner (Barry) is cooking, it can be hit and miss otherwise. The mongolian BBQ is always pretty good since you pick your own ingredients, sauces, and spices.

• Visited June 2012
Big Bear Lake, California
“Not As Good As It Used To Be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I used to visit this restaurant every week. The mongolian BBQ is still pretty good however, the regular buffet is not near as good as it used to be. On our last visit the food on the buffet had been sitting there for a long time and it was luke warm and crusted over. They used to have an ice cream machine for self-made desserts but they got rid of that a long time ago. Unfortunately, we no longer go to this restaurant as often as we used to due to the lower quality of the food overall.

• Visited May 2012