“Too many rules!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Temecula
“Too many rules!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

great location..rooms ok...pillows very lumpy...and front desk sevice by the gentleman borderline rude.
We felt like we had to tip toe around and almost clean the room before we left so we would not be charged.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2010
Thank you for your time to write a review and alert us to some things that made your stay with us less than pleasant. We apologize sincerely for any rudeness that you may have encountered. We do not advocate that, EVER. I am not sure which cabin or room you were in, but we are checking all of the pillows in each room and will replace those. Our overview of rules is not intended at all to restrict you or make you feel like you must clean the room so you would not encounter extra charging. We have found that it is important to let people know about smoking in rooms, linen damage in excess of normal wear and tear, maid service hangers, etc. As a result of your making us aware of how this made you feel, we will be changing the presentation of informative tips so that our guests are not offended nor unpleasantly surprised at check out. Hopefully, you will give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010 via mobile

If you like to be read the riot act as you arrive for check in...then this is the place for you. Lots of rules and regulations...it really set a bad tone for our stay despite a great location. We did not feel welcome or comfortable after that which in turn means we will never go there again.

• Stayed September 2010
Thank you for your review about your stay at Big Bear Frontier. We apologize profusely that an overview of the information items was offensive to you. No way is that intended to be "the riot act", and because of your perception of this, we will be changing the presentation of information items. We have found over the years in business that it is necessary to point out things such as no smoking in the rooms, pet information, etc., otherwise the guest is unpleasantly surprised when there is a charge for something they were not made aware of. We recoginize that often it is not "what" is said but how it's "said", thus we can not express to you how badly we felt, that you had a bad experience with that. We hope that you will give us another chance to give you the opportunity for a better experience with us. Thank you again, for pointing this out to us.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I loved our weekend retreat at Big Bear Frontier. The location was fabulous, close to the village and on the lakefront. We stayed in a lovely studio cabin with an indoor jacuzzi. The best part of the trip was the customer service. Sam was so helpful when we arrived. We requested to see available cabins and he was patient enough to guide us (this might not happen if they are too busy...). On our last night we came back to our cabin with a welcome/birthday package. This was really a WOW moment for us.

Thanks Big Bear Frontier for making our stay enjoyable, peaceful and memorable. I ranted about our amazing stay at your property to all my friends and co-workers. Posted it on my facebook too!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Thank you for the nice review that you submitted about your stay at Big Bear Frontier. It is especially great to know that our front desk agent, Sam, took the time to show you around. Please come back and stay with us everytime you are coming to Big Bear Lake. We value you as a guest and value your business.
Spring Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

My husband and I had such a relaxing few days at the Big Bear Frontier, the place is so well maintained & clean ...jus beautiful! The Staff was very helpful & they had super cool attitudes which made our little getaway that much nicer! The only thing that would have made it nicer was AC, it got a little warm! Thank you Big Bear Frontier, see ya again soon ;)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
We are happy that your stay with us was good. We hope you will stay with us every time you come to Big Bear. Thank you for letting us serve you.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We booked the room online on the way to Big Bear. I was told very clearly that we were getting a cabin. When we arrived about two hours later, we were greeted by a very rude receptionist who told us we had booked a room in the building and not a cabin. She then proceeded to give us many directions about what we could not do in the room. The location was good, but it was such a terrible welcome to the place. I felt we were treated very poorly upon arrival. M. Evans

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
I am extremely sorry that you had a bad experience at Big Bear Frontier. I am unable to research exactly what happened, as I do not have the date of stay or the name the reservation was made in. I am confused as to who promised that you had a cabin and it was a room, as you state you made an online reservation. I am most anxious to resolve your complaint and determine what happened as you checked in. Would you be so kind to send me an email to info@bigbearfrontier.com, so that I am able to investigate why any guest would have this experience. Again, my apologies.
Roger Abbott
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have never been so disgusted with such a lake of courtesy and professionalism in all of my life. My girlfriend and I checked in on a Friday evening. We noticed later that night there were several ants in our bathroom. I told my girlfriend I'd give the hotel the benefit of the doubt, and hoped it was only an isolated incident. Boy was I wrong.

We woke up the next morning to find hundreds of ants on the ground in the bathroom, traveling through cracks in the tile, molding, and sheetrock. We killed as many as we could, drenched the floor with water attempting to drown them and flood the cracks, but this just brought more ants. They eventually made their way from the bathroom to the floor, to our suitcases and clothes, and even on to my girlfriend's laptop (on the night table).

When we called the front desk the 2nd night to complain, they were "gone for the evening". It took me walking in to check out the following morning to even get a response. The hotel's official response to the ant infestation that not only ruined our peace of mind but also our sleep, our clothes, and computer: a $50 gift certificate to come BACK to the hotel! I know you think I'm joking but I'm not. They went on to say "we've had the exterminator in here a few times this week already" and "ya know, you are IN NATURE, THESE THINGS HAPPEN!!" Excuse me... but if I wanted ants to crawl all over my belongings, I sure as hell would not have paid over $300 for a hotel room! I would've slept in a tent.

Since I booked the trip with hotels.com, Big Bear Frontier refused to issue a refund and told me to take it up with hotels.com. I called hotels.com and they said it was up to Big Bear to determine if a refund was acceptable. No one would lift a finger. They even refused to transfer me to a manager. Discovercard tried but eventually gave up because of BBF's ludicrous accusations. The Better Business Bureau also stepped in but ultimately gave up, again because of the same lies.

The hotel's accusations: that ants don't just appear. I must've left some food or soda out. Again you probably think I'm joking, but I'm not. They used this rebuttal twice with the Better Business Bureau. I now will be reaching out to the health board and attorney general since everyone else has succumbed to Big Bear Frontier's lies, embellishments, accusations, and overall unethical and unscrupulous behavior.

I would rather kill myself than ever stay at Big Bear Frontier, or any of it's affiliates' properties ever again. Please, if you are considering going to Big Bear, DO NOT STAY HERE. DON'T SUGGEST TO ANYONE OTHER THAN YOUR WORST ENEMIES TO STAY IN THIS DUMP!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
We regret that we were unable to make this guest happy. We would have appreciated the chance to correct the situation before the complaint was officially received, just prior to his check out. He did report the problem after hours, approximately 28 hours after his check in time. Ants are a problem in the mountains and all lodging industries recognize this is an ongoing problem. We continously have a termite person in and manage the problem on site. Most often, it is food, a can of empty or full soda, or a small piece of fruit or sweets, that cause the ants to come into the room. Ants are always looking for water as well. If ever a guest encounters the problem, we will do what we can to correct the problem and make the guest happy. We apologize again to the customer and we hope that our future guests will know that we can not guarantee that a few ants might come into your accomodations. We do commit to correcting the problem and doing what we can to eliminate the problem. Thank you.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed in the Creekside area on the second floor. Good things: close to the lake, we could walk out and swim or hang out on the lake-side patio after dark. Bad things: no A/C, which mattered because the room heated up a lot in the afternoon sun. A ground-floor room would probably be a better choice in the summer. They also added a small "resort fee" (5 percent) which they didn't mention when we checked in. They are not the most friendly people at the front desk.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel? Share your experiences!