“Peaceful getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Peaceful getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great place to go to getaway from the city life. Cabin has all you need for cooking and a Vons down the road where you don't have to pack to much to have fun. Nice place to take your pet since they have great walking trails that are very quite.

Room Tip: There are different size cabins so make sure to find out before you book the cabin.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Chino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed here two times and love it.The cabins/hotel rooms are very roomy. We always come with our black lab and she just loves it. The hotel is walking distance to the Big Bear Village and close to the lake (there is a deck near the lake where you can sit). We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a pet friendly place, well, this is it. With or without a pet you will enjoy...
Montebello, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed over Easter weekend. Last weekend of skiing in big bear. We rented a two bedroom chalet. It was a good size. There were 2 queens, a twin and 2 sofa beds. Only draw back. One restroom. The kitchen size was good. Full fridge and dining area We dined out all weekend The kitchen is very convenient for those who like to cook. There was a BBQ pit and ping pong outside. A hot tub and pool outdoor but heated. A list of DVDs and VHS, yes VHS available to borrow. There was also a pool table in the main lobby. Very cozy place. A liquor store was a cross the street for convenience. Their staff was always around and keeping their property clean and in working order. And it's very close to old town big bear

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Well the "extra room" is really a 3 bedroom suite/cabin! Awesome! Thanks for the hospitality, and for dealing with us professionally when the expedia people messed up! The only thing I didn't like was that I had a heater blowing on my face all night. Poor room set-up I guess, because it was too cold not to have the heater on at night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Im a very easy person to please, and let me start off by saying I was really looking forward to checking into this hotel. The front desk people were helpful and friendly to me and the location right on the lake is just amazingly beautiful. However, I hate to do this but I can only give 2 stars from the awful Ant infestation my boyfriend and I experienced during our 4 night stay at this hotel.
This was our first visit to Big Bear Lake Ca, after we spent 2 nights at seal beach ca.

The positives - We got a king bedroom in the motel area, the room was cute, decent size, comfortable bed and pillows. Its right on the lake so the view is breathtaking. you can sit on the benches and feed the ducks if you want which i loved. We had plenty of towels, tissues and toilet paper, if we ran out we got more right away no questions asked and like i said everyone, including maid service was helpful. The room had two fans, one ceiling and one floor, a microwave, a fridge, a nice looking fireplace, a cute high coffee table and two chairs and a flat screen tv with cable tv and also a dvd/vcr player. The heat in the room worked really well also.

The Negatives - The toilet in the bathroom either was not clean or badly stained inside, the cable tv was about 15 channels only, some very bad sound quality. The hotel should look into upgrading this.....

The Main issue was the Ants! - Literally every morning we woke up to about 50-100 ants on the bathroom floor and also on the bathroom sink. We couldnt see where they were coming from. It was very annoying. let me also say that we DID NOT EAT any food in our room. We ate out at restaurants only, so if the managment reads this review they cant say the ants came in because of food. We were not messy with that.

There is dark green carpet in the room so I am not sure if there were ants anywhere else because we couldnt see them if so due to the dark carpet. I did get very upset one morning when i saw one ant crawling on my pillow on the bed. My boyfriend killed it and i said if i saw anymore in the bed i would of gotten very upset and went to the front desk to complain and checkout/get a refund. But thankfully we only saw that 1 ant in the bed that morning. It could of traveled on one of us from the bathroom sink and landed on the bed. I will say i went out to breakfast one morning and an ant came out of my purse onto the table at the restaurant, so it is possible they could of been getting on our clothing/coats in the room and traveled with us.

As you all can see this is why I had to give two stars. Like i said i am an easy person to please, I am also as friendly as possible. My boyfriend and I did not even complain to the front desk about the ant issues because, we did read some ant reviews on tripadvisor while in the room during our stay. The hotel responded to the reviews just saying they are aware of the issues and they are working with exterminatiors to try to take care of it etc etc. so we figured there was no use complaining because the hotel probably wouldnt/couldnt of done anything for us if they were aware of the issue.

I will say this - if the hotel is aware of this ant issue it needs to be delt with properly. You cant just say you are aware and so nothing expecting people to pay close to 100 a night with ants infesting the room. I dont mind paying good money for a hotel as long as its worth it. And I am sorry but for an ant infestation 100 a night (including tax) is too much money.

1 of two things need to be done here.

1 - get a new exterminator - because clearly the one the one the hotel uses is not working. You cant say you have an exterminator when the job is not getting done, it makes the hotel look bad.
2 - give guests Motel 6 rates (ex. 59.99 a night) so dealing with the ant infestation is worth the stay. I am happy I got the cheapest room at this hotel otherwise I would of been very upset if we splurged for a studio or cabin.

Last notes - My boyfriend and I noticed lots of different lodging places while in big bear. We choose frontier because we saw some nice reviews online. Unfortunately due to the ant infestion issue we cannot say we would return to frontier again. We will try another lodging place for sure next time being that there are so many.

I suggest this hotel really start to take this Ant problem seriously. Perhaps an exterminator is not enough. Maybe some remodeling, new flooring needs to be done. If you really value your guest you will go beyond spraying for these pests and get to the root of the problem.

Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you found my front desk staff to be helpful and friendly. I am also glad you found our location amazingly beautiful being right on the lake. We receive many great reviews on our location. However, given that we are located right on the lake attributes to our occasional problem with ants. I believe your visit was followed by a recent snow storm. This always seems to drive them out of the ground seeking shelter from the wet snow. As you may be aware, we are 100% pet friendly, therefore, limiting the type of exterminating we can do. We want to make sure our guest’s furry friends are safe too.

I do apologize for this issue that you encountered and wish you would have brought it to mine or my staff's attention immediately. I have refunded one of your nights for the inconvenience.

I hope that you will try our resort again in the future.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed only one night but found everything to be satisfactory. Our studio cabin was pretty small but okay for a short stay. Nice to have a small kitchen for breakfast before heading out to ski. We liked the fireplace too as it was quite cold the night we were there. Our room was reasonably clean and the bed was fine. Nothing fancy but as expected for the price. If I was staying more than one night I would get a larger cabin. Good value accommodation.

Encinitas, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I agree with the reviews that the people are friendly...and truthfully, I guess there was everything we need. However, the pictures they have online may represent some of the rooms, but not all. The beds were comfortable, but have the old funky poly quilted spreads. It was a little dingy and run down, yet clean and comfortable. Our simple room had a microwave and small fridge.
I would stay here again...right on the lake, nice location...but I would just know what I was getting for my money. (good price..and when I extended our stay by one night, the desk guy gave a discount)

Room Tip: The floors in the inn are a bit creaky. I would think that an upstairs room would be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel? Share your experiences!