“The perfect getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40472 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315   |
“The perfect getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Went there with my 3 kids, everything was clean had a electric fireplace which was perfect with me haha. Kitchen with everything we needed a lot of clean dry towels extra pillows. It is close by bowling place restaurants market with view to the lake .. Love it

• Stayed February 2012
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review! I'm glad you liked our resort and found it as your perfect getaway and also enjoyed viewing your photos! I will share your response with my staff and we all will look forward to having you back again.

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Anaheim Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had intended to book one night but complications arose through a third party booking company that messed up our dates. Long story short, when the third party told us we had to call the hotel to resolve the issue, we did, only to be greeted by a very rude staff. Namely, Amy and Ryan, the front desk clerks. They ran us around in loops and told us their policy states that we must resolve this with the third party. Ryan was completely unwilling to help and told me that they would not refund anything or be able to do anything. He said the only thing he could do was move the booking to a future date. The whole time we talked he made it seem like I was a nuisance and an inconvenience to him, instead of providing the customer service he is being paid to render. I'll admit I wasn't in the best mood to begin with, but instead of trying to ease me and help me find a solution, he made me feel even worse. At the end of the conversation he had the audacity to invite me to stay in the future. I said in so many words "no thanks, but I have no intentions staying here ever, based on the way you have treated me." He said "well ma'm, WE DON'T WANT YOU TO [--] STAY HERE!" and hung up on me.

I work as a front desk agent for a 5 star, AAA 5 diamond resort on the coast of California and never have I encountered such rude and insulting behavior by a front desk clerk (not even at a Holiday Inn!) When I called back to speak with a manager, Amy told me none would be on duty until the next day and proceeded to reconnect me to Ryan who further argued with me and cussed me out, again! It is impossible to not have a manager given that it is a busy weekend for their hotel. No dignified hotel would run without a manager on a fully booked weekend. Both agents seemed like they were impeding my right to speak with a supervisor or manager to report this abuse. "Ryan" would not even give me his last name. I don't know who runs this place, but if you're reading this, Ryan has no business in the hospitality industry. He will ruin your reputation and drive away customers. I know this is no 5 star resort, but as with any business I am paying for service, I should be treated with some respect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. As a fellow hotelier, you know the great responsibility we have to uphold policies. After several phones from you and your husband we had expressed that we would not cancel without penalty. Given how upset you seemed, we set our policy aside this time and refunded your money. It is upsetting to me that one would make a fabricated review, extorting our property to receive a refund.

Best,

Ryan Vasquez
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Awesome room, awesome view, awesome staff. We got the most cost effective room for us (cheapest) and we were not disappointed. We were right on the end of the motel and it was right next to the frozen lake. Sunrises and Sunsets were amazing from the vantage point. I LOVED having a fireplace in the room, and all the wood and the stone inside the room made it very cozy and comfy. Good value for your money! It was within walking distance to the village so we took advantage of that as well. 10 mins or less walk to the village. GREAT location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am delighted to hear such wonderful comments regarding your stay. It's reviews like this that prove our hardwork is paying off. My staff and I thrive to always be awesome! We look forward to having you stay with us the next time you're in Big Bear. Again, thank you.
Torrance
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've stayed here before and this time around, I stayed along the creek side. The one downer was staying on the bottom and hearing the dinosaurs upstairs but besides that, it was all above and beyond.

From calling to make sure that our reservation was in, the front desk told me that I could come as early as noon to check in. I wasn't even on the road then and wasn't planning to check in until later but it was nice to know this information. While checking in, it was easy and simple. The front desk was warm and welcoming. They had a small pool table, some paddle and ping pong balls. In the back, there was an ice machine with some other vending machines. Across the street from the hotel there's a liquor store so if there's something not at the hotel, there's definitely something at the liquor store.

The room was clean. I wished for more blankets and pillows. The bathroom was large and tub was quite surprisingly large with jets. There was a little small kitchenette area with a small fridge, microwave and a sink. Oh yeah, a small coffee maker. It really had all the things a person could need.

Next time, I want to stay in a cabin because they seem so cute and more private. I love this place and would come back again!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We miss you too! It always makes our work worth while to read reviews such as yours. I am very glad to hear that my front desk staff was accomodating from the reservation through the check in process.

I see that you wanted more blankets and pillows, on your next visit if that is the case, feel free to contact the front desk. They will bring you anything you may need!

Again, thank you for your reveiw and we look forward to having you stay with us again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel was pretty nice. We stayed there with a family in winter time and it was great to be able to walk across the street for some sledding. The location is fine and right on the lake, though not as close to the main street with the restaurants as some other hotels. There's a pool and not tub but if you stay in the hotel part, you have to cross a street to get there, and it's a bit of a walk in your swim suit. Stay upstairs to avoid hearing too much noise from other guests. It helped that we called ahead and were able to reserve a room on the second floor.

The room itself was just okay, with the usual tacky Big Bear decor. The beds were fairly comfortable though there were not enough pillows in the room. I was very disappointed by the bathroom though. When taking a bath, I noticed hairs floating around and I ended up pulling out a plug of someone else's hair. Pretty disgusting! This definitely didn't meet my expectations, especially since this hotel got so many good reviews on Tripadvisor. I most likely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank your for your review. I apologize that you did not find your room to be 100% satisfactory. I aslo apologize that you did not care for the Big Bear rustic, / mountain decor, as many of our guest rave about it. I will use your comments, however, to fine tune our operations.

I hope that you will give our propety another try and we will exceed your expectations. Thank you again.
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed elsewhere last time and were disappointed. I used Tripadvisor this time and found Frontier.

I have a super clean + two teenagers to satisfy and I relied on Tripadvisor when choosing this accomodation.

I wasn't disappointed, all members of my party enjoyed this place. Check-in was easy, room was clean and the hot water hot. The fireplace was a bonus, we lit our own fire and it kept the room hot all night.

Cons - noise if you stay in the unit accomodation by the lake (not the cabins)- other guests' noise (above /beside) can be heard in your room if they are noisy.

Room Tip: We selected accomodation by the lake which is unit style. If other guest noise is a concern, reques...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Valencia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is clean and well kept. The staff very friendly and helpful. We have stayed there
a number of times and always happy The hotel is close to the village(walking distance) and their prices are below places in the village. They have rooms close to the lake with patios and general seating for other guests. Call ahead and get the best rate, even better then the net. Any other necessary items are readily avaialable an often free.

Room Tip: Ask for the the lake room as it has its own patio. Other then that a room towards the lake without a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel? Share your experiences!