“Okay hotel but bathroom not clean” 3 of 5 stars

You added Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel to your Saves list
Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40472 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
“Okay hotel but bathroom not clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel was pretty nice. We stayed there with a family in winter time and it was great to be able to walk across the street for some sledding. The location is fine and right on the lake, though not as close to the main street with the restaurants as some other hotels. There's a pool and not tub but if you stay in the hotel part, you have to cross a street to get there, and it's a bit of a walk in your swim suit. Stay upstairs to avoid hearing too much noise from other guests. It helped that we called ahead and were able to reserve a room on the second floor.

The room itself was just okay, with the usual tacky Big Bear decor. The beds were fairly comfortable though there were not enough pillows in the room. I was very disappointed by the bathroom though. When taking a bath, I noticed hairs floating around and I ended up pulling out a plug of someone else's hair. Pretty disgusting! This definitely didn't meet my expectations, especially since this hotel got so many good reviews on Tripadvisor. I most likely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank your for your review. I apologize that you did not find your room to be 100% satisfactory. I aslo apologize that you did not care for the Big Bear rustic, / mountain decor, as many of our guest rave about it. I will use your comments, however, to fine tune our operations.

I hope that you will give our propety another try and we will exceed your expectations. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed elsewhere last time and were disappointed. I used Tripadvisor this time and found Frontier.

I have a super clean + two teenagers to satisfy and I relied on Tripadvisor when choosing this accomodation.

I wasn't disappointed, all members of my party enjoyed this place. Check-in was easy, room was clean and the hot water hot. The fireplace was a bonus, we lit our own fire and it kept the room hot all night.

Cons - noise if you stay in the unit accomodation by the lake (not the cabins)- other guests' noise (above /beside) can be heard in your room if they are noisy.

Room Tip: We selected accomodation by the lake which is unit style. If other guest noise is a concern, reques...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is clean and well kept. The staff very friendly and helpful. We have stayed there
a number of times and always happy The hotel is close to the village(walking distance) and their prices are below places in the village. They have rooms close to the lake with patios and general seating for other guests. Call ahead and get the best rate, even better then the net. Any other necessary items are readily avaialable an often free.

Room Tip: Ask for the the lake room as it has its own patio. Other then that a room towards the lake without a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Yucca Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

It was very nice and central to everything you might want to do. The property was very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful with all our needs. The cabins are really nice and clean. We parked our truck and never had to drive, the village and lake are in walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Pros:
- walking distance to the lake and the village!
- everything looks clean and neat, what is a huge plus for me!
- kitchen has stove, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and utensils that look like new. If you plan to stay longer time in Big Bear you can save some money not going to restaurants...
- bed in the bedroom is very comfy (according to my mother in law. By the way, she loves the place and the atmosphere).

Cons:
- the pull down wall bed is horrible! I don't know if it was because I never had slept in this type of bed. But my husband and I couldn't sleep very well. The springs were noise and we woke up with our backs hurting...
- it doesn't have a light inside the shower, so when you close the curtain it is too dark. It's not a problem to me, but my father in law didn't like it at all.

I could give this place a 5 rating if instead of a pull down wall bed it offered another regular bed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Many of the pro's you stated are the reason we have so many repeat guests. We strive to be the best property in Big Bear. I do, however, apologize that you were uncomfortable with your bed in your cabin.

It is my hope that you will come visit us again! We do offer cabins with more than one bedroom which could suit your family's needs.

Again, thank you for your recent stay and your review.

Ryan Vasquez
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We decided to take the dogs and do an overnight stay in Big Bear. This place was great! VERY pet friendly, walking distance to the village, and by the lake!

We rented Cabin #3, it was a 1 bedroom cabin with a full kitchen, sofa bed, fireplace and little patio. I believe it was $89.00 a night plus $15.00 pet fee (per pet/per nt). Since we visited in November there was a little snow out and it was pretty chilly! The cabin was very well insulated, and the heater worked great, in fact we got too hot at times!

There are many cabins to choose from as well as a hotel on the premises. The hotel is actually right next to the lake. Depending on the cabin you get, you can have a pretty good view of the lake. The lodge has an assortment of board games you can play and take back to your room as well as movies to rent. If you decide to hang out in the lodge and play pool, you are allowed to bring your dogs in too!

Next time I'm in Big Bear I'll definitely be staying here again!

Make sure you to talk to David when booking, very friendly guy and will help you out if you are unfamiliar with the area!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you and your pets enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will choose our property again when you're in Big Bear.

Ryan Vasquez
Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've stayed here a few times and have enjoyed it. The staff is friendly. The cabins are fun to stay in and aren't too rustic since they have microwaves, etc. It's nice to have a real fireplace.
The location is excellent. There is a beach right there, a little dock, round tables with umbrellas, picnic tables, and grills. You can walk to the town for lunch, dinner, shopping, and drinks later on in the evening and not have to worry about that drive back! It's only a few minutes to walk to a boat ride on the lake in one direction and the luge ride in the other.
My only negative is that the TVs need to be updated. It's only $200 for a 32" HDTV flat screen. I'm not sure why hotels continue to hang on to those big hard to watch tubes.
Whether you want to relax or have some fun, Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel is a great option.

Room Tip: Call instead of booking online. The staff is very good about helping you find what you want.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Big Bear Frontier Cabins & Hotel? Share your experiences!