“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Big Bear Lake
San Diego
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Came to Big Bear in fall for a few days to explore the mountains.The room was very good, comfy, clean bed and a desk as well as a small fridge. Less than 2 miles away from the village. Very close to marinas, hiking and biking trails. Overall, a great experience. Thanks to Bob, Christy and Howard for your hospitality !

I will come back to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Woodland Hills, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I am really not the type to complain, but my stay at this hotel was absolutely awful.

WAY overpriced, I paid over $180 for a room during the Christmas holiday, but it was the only thing available.

THEY HAVE NEW OWNERS, SO BEWARE!

The room itself could have been cleaner. The heater's casing was damaged, but I did not think much of it initially.

First thing: NO WIFI. I chose this hotel specifically because I thought I could use the internet, which I NEEDED. I ended up going to coffee shops for my needs. The owners had no idea how the WIFI worked, and kept ensuring me it does work when my girlfriend, the guy across the street, and I couldn't access it on our respective computers.

Second: The fire alarm went off at night while we were sleeping, and not just for a few minutes... how about an HOUR AND A HALF. It was so ear piercing that we had to wait outside in the freezing cold. The owners had NO idea how to turn it off, so they had to call the fire department to do it, who were unfamiliar with their system.

The owner HIMSELF was the one who pulled the alarm, thinking it was a light switch (???).

Worst part? NO APOLOGY, THEY DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I mean I don't expect them to refund our stay (even though most places would have at least to some extent) but not even a simple apology? The incident was 100% their fault. I felt bad for the father a few rooms down who had his sleeping children in the room when that god awful sound pierced through their tiny ears.

We had multiple firemen in our room trying to reboot the system afterwards, when we were cold and just wanted to sleep.

LASTLY: The heater had two settings, scorching hot and off. I tried to balance the immense heat coming from the heater by opening windows but to no avail.

So I had to wake up every hour to turn on and off the heater, so we wouldn't freeze/burn while sleeping.

I woke up with only a few hours of uncomfortable sleep and... NO APOLOGIES WHATSOEVER.

I hope by posting this review the new owners will be compelled to learn how important customer service is. Again, I am the type that never complains, but they pushed me too far. I hope their subsequent lack of business will give them a good reason to change.

It is a decent property in a good location.

still, I would recommend you...

STAY AWAY! PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

-Thanks

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were looking for a place by Snow Summit right after Christmas. Looked at BigBearLake.net and we couldn't believe the prices of this place compared with the other hotels and cabins in the area during that time, especially because the rooms looked nice. Service was great. In fact, we couldn't stay the two nights we booked because our son's hand got injured and Christy kindly allowed us to cancel one night. The rooms have flat-panel televisions and are newly-painted. Sheets were crisp and clean. There's pastries, coffee and some fruits for breakfast in the lobby, free WiFi and fridge in the room. Snow Summit is minutes away. Overall, a great experience. We'd definitely come back to stay again. Oh yeah, there is a big sign in the front that says that it's under new management.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011 via mobile

Honestly no cheap price compromises clean decent room. Found room online. No one in parking lot when we arrived (first hint). Gave us room key and door was cracked open already! Blood stains on sheets, hair, what looked like dead bugs on sheets, just a dirty room. Tried to get second room and sheets were worse! Looked like bed was dragged on gravel with sheet on. Manager said "what are you going to do? Mess up every room?" hmmm really? So he went looking for a room for us and closed two doors before we said "no thanks!"
Went back to what we know is one of the best - Cozy Hollow Lodge. So worth the extra $50.

• Stayed October 2011
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

After reading some of the other reviews I had low expectations for this place. I was pleasantly surprised that the place exceded my expectations. It was excedingly average which for the money was more then I could have hoped for. We needed to spend one night in Big Bear and needed two beds for us and our daughter and her husband. Wanted cheap and clean. The Inn at Big Bear delivered on both accounts. If I went there for a romantic weekend with the wife, I would have paid more and gotten a nice B&B or cabin, but the Inn at Big Bear was perfect for our needs this time. I would recommend it under these type of narrow parameters.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

Oh boy where to start. First..the place looks incredibly run down...cob webs everywhere...paint peeling...trash..you name it. Second...false promises! The owner I spoke to promised a fridge...tv...a phone...and breakfast. So when we arrive the very odd owner says ...maybe breakfast..who knows. Really?! We then find out our shower does NOT get warm...tv is blurry...lights don't work properly... dead bugs on the walls.. and no phone!! I then go to complain in a calm tone only to be argued with by a lady who clearly doesn't care. Luckily we switched rooms and still encountered similar problems. Oh and as we checked in NOBODY else was at the hotel. It's a shame because this place has potential....but its obvious the owners don't care. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2011
Peoria, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Came to see Big Bear for the fourth weekend. Whole family had a great time in the pool and spa. Bring your own towels, but other than that great. Very family friendly.

Room and Bathroom were clean. Need separate recycling buckets. Have stayed at many worse hotels. There is so much to do in this area. Get out and do those things.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Travelodge Big Bear Lake? Share your experiences!