“Ecotourism at its best” 5 of 5 stars

+46 70 610 61 50
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: WildSweden is #1 at wildlife tours in Sweden. Experience wild nature and animals like Moose, Beavers, Wolves, Bears and Owls. Our mission is to offer genuine nature experiences that support wildlife conservation and creates economic opportunities for the local society.During the last 10 years we have taken care of visitors from 75 countries. Join our experienced guides for an adventure of a lifetime!
Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
22 attraction reviews
“Ecotourism at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We've been on 'safari' with Wild Sweden several times now, and it really has been a revelation. Having been on countless safaris in Africa, what strikes you first is perhaps how low-key and peaceful this is. The setting is beautiful, although much closer to Stockholm (less than two hours) than even most Swedes (like myself) would suppose. We have had some wonderful wildlife sightings, but mostly we have really enjoyed being out in nature with Marcus and his guides, going for a walk to look for tracks or on a boat ride to find beavers. Marcus is passionate about wildlife, but also pragmatic and willing to work hard to support local community members (guides, accommodation - everything is locally run) as well as to drive important questions on a regional and national level. A thoroughly enjoyable experience, and we very much look forward to coming back to see moose this autumn, and maybe try winter wolf tracking on skis one year soon!

Visited May 2013
MarcusEldh, Manager at Wild Sweden - Day Tours, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Hello Kate!

Many thanks for your kind review. And warmly welcome back again for a real Winter adventure :)

Berkshire
21 attraction reviews
“ecotourism at its very best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked this 4day trip with a certain amount of intrepidation as a single traveller visiting sweden for the first time but I needn't have worried . Apart from a couple of minor communication issues prior to arriving in Skinnskatteberg the actual "safari "was wonderful. I was bowled over by the quality of the accomodation ( beautifully situated right next door to a lake with access to kayak and swimming and hot tub beautiful on suite rooms and lovely breakfast) and then went straight out onto a picnic and beaver tour, with moose trekking and wolf howling on the following nights. the guides are all very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and i was fortunate enought to see beavers on the bankside and moose and listen to wolves howling in the dead of night.
I feel obliged to mention that of course there is no guarantee to other potential wildlife spotters that they will have the same experience but I think they will at the very minimum feel that they know more about swedish wildlife, be exposed to some very different and beautiful landscapes and habitats and possibly get the chance to see and feel the presence of animals along the way . Anyhow it makes a complete change from the usual tourist fare and I have had some experiences that I think I will remember forever - and how mny holidays offer that?

Visited August 2013
Thank you!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the tour with us. Hope to see you again some day!

Solna, Sweden
“Wolf howling in Summer - Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

It was a great experience that I will always remember. To see first track after wolves and then hear them howling in the night were truly fantastic - a memory I will always carry with me.
The guides were very knowledgeable and gave lots of information about wolves and their lives. The tour was very exciting, but at the same time safe to spend a day with experienced guides with extensive knowledge of wilderness and its inhabitants. In addition, it was very good food and a very high level of service in all respects.

I will definitely come back. Next time for the beavers!

Visited June 2013
Many thanks!

I am glad you enjoyed the Wolf tour. It is one of our most popular tours and we are constantly aiming to develop it for the better. Hope to see you again, perhaps for a Winter Wolf tour?!

London, England, United Kingdom
“Safari in Sweden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

One night? Sure. You can slip into a sleeping bag in a 7 x 9 ft wooden lodge or spend the night in (again) a sleeping bag in a 6 x 7 ft observation tent. That will be £160. How would you like to pay? I bet this would make people drop the idea, hang up the phone or reach out for their delete button. Well don't. And here is why.

Jan runs Wild Sweden tours. He brings with him intimate knowledge of wildlife behavior, their movement patterns and what one must avoid in order to avoid disturbing the natural patterns in wildlife behavior. A moose can hear you zip (or unzip) from a mile. Those with large antlers have even better hearing. It can smell you from about the same distance. You can spot them in darkness by flooding light into their eyes which reflect back brighter than Venus. And yes the floodlight does not send the Moose scurrying away. Those who like alcohol during their tours, Jan will include brands whose smell wouldn't deter the Moose from arriving to its frequently visited grazing areas. Having told you the Do's and Don'ts, he will leave you in an observation tent with a sleeping bag, a chair, a pair of bionculars, boots and a basket of food and drinks. To my delight, he made sure the food included local flavors. After about 3 hours of waiting I saw a Moose calf and then, a Moose bull. To see them in the wild is thrilling. You also feel an immense sense of achievement in that you succeeded in going undetected by Moose's sharp senses. Once a Moose is there, it could easily spend 2-3 hours in the same area as it could eat over 15 kg of grass in a sitting. This will give you enough time to photograph and observe Moose behavior.

After it got too dark to photograph, Jan drove back to the tent to pick me up for a drive by the forest and nearby fields and see more Moose. Armed with a floodlight we spotted eight more of them. I was rather pleased with his patience as late at night as I frequently struggled to mount my camera on my new tripod in the darkness. Finally we drove back to Kolarbyn Ecolodge.

Andreas runs Kolarbyn Ecolodge. In the right season, the area is full of blueberries, wild mushrooms and croaking frogs. He has fashioned the place to be so ecofriendly that apart from a layer of plastic sheets to keep the rainwater away from dripping into the lodge, there is little else that would leave a mark on the environment. He prepares the charcoal needed for fire, uses untreated wood to build the lodge in order to prevent chemical leakage and sources ecofriendly food from local suppliers.

I joined them for a Moose tour though they do regular wolf, bear and beaver toours as well. Jan mentioned it is usually difficult to spot a wolf nevertheless he can make wolf howling sounds to which the wolf may howl back at.

The place is 2.5 hours from Stockholm Central station by train + a bus ride. In order to arrive at the starting point, take a train to Koping (pronounced as 'sherping') and then, a connection bus to Skinnskattenberg (pronounced as 'huin-skatt-bare'). If you tell them your arrival time, they will be able to arrange for a pick-up.

For the service you get, the rather unique eco-friendly living experience, local food and the (near) guarantee of spotting Moose, the largest deer on planet Earth - I think you should pay Andreas and Jan a visit the next time you are in Sweden.

Visited July 2013
Many thanks for your positive review!

I am glad you enjoyed your time with Jan and Andreas and I hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards from the Swedish forest, Marcus Eldh
Indiana
14 attraction reviews
“Great Wildlife Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I took the 4 day Sweden's Wildlife Tour and it was great! Day 1 was the beaver tour - we had a picnic dinner, learned all about beaver behavior, and then saw several beavers. We were lucky enough to observe 2 playing and making sounds. Day 2 was the moose safari, where we again enjoyed an outdoor dinner, learned about moose, and then went to search for them, both on foot and by van. We saw several. The last night was the wolf howling tour. We learned all about wolves and also had another opportunity to look for moose. After an outdoor dinner, we saw several moose, and then late at night were fortunate to hear the wolves howling. The guides really love wildlife and want their guests to not only see the animals, but also learn about them. This is a great tour for anyone who loves nature!

Visited July 2013