“Taste Quite Close to Home as a Malaysian” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Singaporean, Nonya, Malaysian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Belconnen, Australia
“Taste Quite Close to Home as a Malaysian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I love the small, homely style of the restaurant as it feels like one of those coffee shops in Malaysia that you would go to but beefed up to restaurant style to blend in with the locals in Canberra.

I tried nasi lemak with Chicken Rendang, teh tarik (sweet milk tea), curry puff and sago with gula melaka. I felt that the nasi lemak with chicken rendang was a bit weak for me, and the curry puff is similar to the ones that you may get from shops outside. The drink and the dessert is a must as that is close to the authentic Malaysian drink and dessert you will find up in Belconnen.

I felt the portion is a bit small for the price (looking from a single guy point of view) but they do have a fair bit of range that I haven't tried yet! Personally will definitely come back and try other items in the menu! Would recommend to try out the place!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sutton Australia
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was our first visit and we will definitely be going back. The food was very different and delicious. A vegetable dish called Sothi was out of this world. The flavors were so subtle and delicious that it would rival any of the finest dishes produced anywhere. The service was wonderful. This is a family run restaurant and everyone was very friendly and helpful. I was glad that we booked a table because within half an hour of our arrival the place was packed. The only down side was that it is a bit noisy.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra, Australia
“Worth the wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We went to the Malaysian Chapter tonight for a bite to eat ...delicious! I had been there before but brought my husband and kids back so they could experience the authentic meals and friendly service. The restaurant is set-up for all ages with a kids corner (without being too noisy for other diners), childrens meals and plenty of room at the tables. Each time I have been I have tried something new but never disappointed. The food is on the slow side but when you get quality home style, non processed food made on demand not in bulk, it is worth the wait. If you like Hawker fare noodle and rice dishes, curries and tasty dumplings this place is for you. The owners are humble people with a genuine interest in providing good food and service. The staff are young and friendly who are only too happy to help with any requests.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth, Australia
“A Five Star Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Being a visitor to Canberra, and reliant upon reviews in “Urban Spoon” and “Trip Advisor”, we came across the highly rated “Malaysian Chapter” restaurant. It is located in a quiet area, just off Lathlain Street in Belconnen, with ample free parking available.
Dining at “Malaysian Chapter” is like being invited to share a special meal with the family. Brother-sister combination Satian and Uma capably work front of house giving every table individualised attention.
We were very keen to try the beef rending as in our eyes that particular dish rates a Malaysian restaurant. Chef Siva’s version certainly did not disappoint – the beef melts in your mouth and the coconut based sauce has been cooked down perfectly to concentrate flavours. We have been back several more times to enjoy this dish and others - highly recommend both mixed entrée platters – in particular the well filled vegetable spring rolls, succulent chicken satay sticks, light curry puffs and crispy bean curd with its delicate silken centre. The strongly flavoured belacan fry is a perfect accompaniment to the rendang. Both the pandan sago and black sticky rice are a fabulously colourful way to finish your meal.
Good quality wines were offered and full marks must go to Heike, Satian’s wife whom I believe is responsible for the wine list. Our favourite was a Grant Burge red, very competitively priced at $24.
We chose “Malaysian Chapter” for our last meal out in Canberra. As it was a Saturday night we made a prior booking. Upon arrival we found the restaurant to be extremely busy. Despite this Uma was her usual friendly self, remaining remarkably calm and still making time for each customer. Our entrees arrived in 15 minutes and mains within 35 minutes of being seated, with all meals up to their usual high standard.
It is not often that you encounter a family who are so passionate about what they do and are committed to their product. “Malaysian Chapter” has been open less than 12 months and apart from Chef Siva, all family members have full time day jobs in addition to working nights in the restaurant.
Rarely are you made to feel so welcome and your opinion of their fare sought so openly. The Vasudeven family have a winning formula and deserve to succeed in their venture!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Truly authentic Malaysian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have been introduced and recommended by my friend to come to Malaysian Chapter for a dinner as I am a Malaysian who always looking for an authentic home country food. Now I found it at this wonderful family run restaurant in Belconnen - Malaysian Chapter. I don't mind to travel from the south (Farrer) to this part of north Canberra to have the authentic food that I have been missing a lot. The services from the staff are so warm and friendly that's the truly Malaysian virtue. My conclusion is if whoever would like to have the delicious and authentic Malaysian food, this is the place you should visit. You won't be regreted and disappointed.

Chooyee from Farrer ACT