“Excellent Outfit” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Arenosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Pontoon Boat fishing tours for Peacock Bass in Lake Gatun, Panama.
Toledo, Ohio, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent Outfit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Dennis is running an excellent and very safe outfit not to far from the city. I would not hesitate to book with Dennis again. This was the first time my wife had been fishing and she had a blast. At one point we had 6 lines with fish on. My wife, friends, and I were having a blast. Armondo was a great guide and knew where to take us to catch fish. As each hole got slow he moved us to a new location.

Visited August 2013

Trego, Wisconsin, United States
“Awesome Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had an awesome time fishing on the lake. Our guide Pacho was wonderful, he always had his eyes open for jumping fish and would move the boat to the perfect spot. We caught over 50 fish. None were monsters by any means but it sure was fun. Ended up being the highlight of our Panama trip. Thanks Dennis for setting it all up for us your replies to our questions were so fast.

Visited February 2013
San Diego, California
13 attraction reviews
“Peacock Bass Fishing In Panama”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have been fishing for peacock bass (sargento) in Panama since 1980. This is the best operation I have come across since fishing the Ft. Gulick MWR in the early 80's.

Two key factors made this trip memorable for us.
1. Communication with Pesca-Arenosa, Dennis Melton, was flawless. Answers to questions came rapidly and all commitments were exceeded!
2. Armando, the Captain / Guide put us on fish immediately. Even more importantly, he took great care of our nephew and niece who were enjoying their first fishing trip.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our time on the lake with Pesca-Arenosa.

Book early

Visited September 2012
Arenosa, Panama
“World Class Peacock Bass Fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having been an avid fisherman all my life, think how i felt after fishing with Armando on Lake Gatun in Arenosa, Panama. Armando is a great guide and he truly loves his job. He will bait your hook, he will take your "catch" off and he will put on another minnow for you. We have permanent "tee" times with Armando and Dennis Melton. They run one of the best fishing/guide services I have ever witnessed. You will love the experience. The cost is very reasonable and you will love the fish you eat. Peacock Bass tastes almost exactly like corvina -- an ocean sea bass. In the states, I fished for largemouth bass for most of my life. I don't eat largemouth bass but I will eat Peacock Bass. Come see Dennis and enjoy his excellent services. I rate Dennis and Armando as outstanding. I believe you will too. Please don't book all his services. Save some days for us!

an Altos del Maria resident

Visited September 2012
Altos del Maria
10 attraction reviews
“Catching vs Fishing For Peacock Bass”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I used to fish often back in the U.S. for bass and other gamefish. Some days were better than others, and a good day could have been landing three to five large or smallmouth of decent size, or maybe ten of smaller stature.

Those numbers are less than paltry when held up against the results of an average outing on lake Gatun, with the right guide.

Five U.S. ex-pat residents of Panama including myself spent a very productive time on the Lake the other day. This was my fourth outing on Dennis Melton's pontoon boat with guide Armando at the helm. It was the first time for three of the party.

Dennis has a very picturesque spot at lakeside. For this, the rest of the scenery and your catch, you will want to have a camera. Do not expect to see dozens of other boats out there. It's like walking through a supermarket at midnight on a Tuesday in winter. But who's complaining?

Immediately after tossing our lines in the water at the first stop, things got very busy for the party and Armando. Many times there were two fish being boated and several times there were three at the same time. Not only were the numbers impressive (over 120 caught by the party), but the size of the fish on this day was above the average in my experience.

We filled a cooler with our catch quickly and had to resort to an improvised stringer to hold the additional peacocks. The fish were actually pushing open the top of the cooler and jumping out. Everyone caught plenty of fish and Armando earned his money on this outing. The proverbial "one armed wallpaper hanger" was a slacker compared to his output for the day.

Dennis and Armando make things very easy for experienced anglers and beginners. Medium-light tackle is used, so any age individual can handle it. Armando knows that section of the lake incredibly well.
To us, the landscape though beautiful is impossible to read with its many islands and thousands of tree stumps. For Armando, it's like walking down the aisles of a local department store.

We brought food & drink with us in coolers as none is available on board. Fishing tackle is available to rent if you have none. Generally the fish will run from under a pound to two pounds or more. The fish can be cleaned for you for a small fee. Live bait is used and you can bring your own collection of lures and try those for effectiveness.

The three new individuals who sailed with me, the fifth member of the party who had been out before and myself will definitely be going out again. Though every day may not produce the same results, my experience is that fish are caught EVERY time the boat sails. You may or may not catch a six pounder, but I would encourage all to treat yourself to the opportunity to try. Catching vs. fishing is a lot more fun, and this guide service delivers.

Visited November 2011