“Plum Pudding- more like a damp squib” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 restaurants in Armitage
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Plum Pudding- more like a damp squib”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I first visited the Plum Pudding in the middle of March this year, and I have to say, I walked away feeling very impressed with the place.

I therefore decided to bring some of my business associates there for a meeting last Thursday. Upon walking in our group were greeted with the same warm reception that I had received on my previous visit. The staff were warm and friendly and the overall atmosphere of the place was homely.

We were quickly shown to a table and decided to place our order quickly as we didn't have a lot of time on our hands on the day in question. We made sure this was communicated to the waitress in the hope this would ensure a speedy service. I decided on the pollo alla piemontese as I simply adore chicken, the other 3 members of my group decided to go for the cannelloni, pesce tricolore and lasagne.

After waiting for our meals for a grand total of 75 minutes they finally arrived, and what a dissapointment! My chicken was cold and contained enough hairs that I could have fashioned a wig out of them. The cannelloni was bland and lacked flavour, while the lasagne was over cooked and hard as a rock. The pesce tricolore was just about par.

We decided to leave most of the meals asked for the bill and left.

Overall I would put the food up there with some of the worst culinary experiences I have ever had and I am very disappointed that a restaurant that I originally saw as a diamond in the rough has let me down so badly. It's a shame as the front of house service was second to none, just let down by the abysmal food on this particular day.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Staffordshire UK
“Oh Dear what a disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Sounded very professional when I phoned to make a reservation. Easter Saturday they were putting on a special six course Italian menu and we were asked to be there for 7:00pm. We arrived with eager anticipation a few minutes before 7:00pm and were given a glas of 'fizz' and asked to take a seat in the bar, at 7:30 we asked for our table and at 7:45 our first 'course' arrived. Two slices of brochetta each with a 'little' chopped tomato and drizzeled with balsamic. The evening service proceded very slowly. Next up were battered vegetables & breaded mushrooms - the mushrooms were dreadful, followed by meatballs in sauce with a slice of bread. This was followed by what we then thought was the main course - pasta with sausage. The pasta and sauce was not very good and my wife found two miniscule slices of sauage somewhere on her plate.
By now we were becoming quite concerned at the poor quality of the food and very slow service and assumed that a dessert and coffe would follow and then we could leave. But, no the fifth course turned out to be the main course! A slice of roast beef, a slice of prk and a veal chop with some vegatables and sauce - it did not look at all appetizing - indeed my wife could not eat hers and discretely put the meat in a servette for our dogs! A shop bought chhesecake followed and we elected not to wait for coffe but to leave.
We had been asked a couple of times durning the evening if the meal was ok and we gestured that all was not well. To be frank the food was very poor I would think that little or nothing had been prepared in the kitchen - they simply reheated bought in 'food' I can not imagine the 'Food Cost' per portion was anywhere near £5 per head.
On the whole the waitresses were pleasant and worked hard. The food quality was realy very poor indeed and the service slow, by 10:45 - nearly FOUR HOURS after we arrived we gave up and left - never to return

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cannock
“Fantastic food, service and atmosphere and i'm fussy!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

First visit and most certainly won't be the last, absolutely amazing food, lovely place, very friendly staff and top class chef who we had a drink with after, 100% recommend

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Staffordshire, UK
“A bad day at The Plum Pudding?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I had lunch here today. It was our first visit. For her starter my wife ordered the soup of the day (minestrone) and for her main a dish consisting of penne pasta and vegetables in a creamy sauce. I ordered a cheese and mushroom omelette with a side order of chips. My wife chose not to have a dessert. I had 2 scoops of ice cream.

We ordered drinks which arrived fairly quickly. After what seemed a reasonably long wait, (probably about 20 mins), during which time no soup had appeared, our main courses were brought to the table. Mine was precisely as ordered but my wife's penne pasta dish included pieces of chicken. my wife said she hadn't asked for chicken with her pasta and she hadn't had her soup either. Our server was very understanding and apologetic. She asked my wife if she was a vegetarian. She said no she just didn't want chicken with the pasta.

I started on my omelette and eventually my wife's soup appeared. I enjoyed my omelette and chips but my wife didn't enjoy the soup. I ordered my ice cream and our server said she'd bring that at the same time as my wife's pasta dish. She did as she'd said except that my wife's replacement pasta dish contained, you've guessed, pieces of chicken. I tucked into my delicious ice cream while my wife waited for the server to bring a third plate of penne pasta which she hoped would be as ordered. After I had finished my ice cream (helped by my then very hungry wife!) the third plate of pasta arrived and this, according to my wife, was fine.

There were clearly some problems in the kitchen and our server was visibly upset that we were having such a poor experience which, we assured her, was clearly not her fault. She brought us a complimentary coffee each which was a nice gesture. Maybe we caught The Plum Pudding on a bad day and maybe one day we'll go back but I doubt it will be soon!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Food Good, Entertainment Terrible Let-Down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked what we thought would be a special night of fine opera singing with the soprano, Donna-Marie Hughes. She was billed as being a leading singer. I forget the exact wording, and we thought that we would be in for a treat. Alas this was not the case. The food was nice enough but it wasn't enhanced by the wobbly screeching of this soprano. A top singer she was not! At around £40 a head it was not good value. The food would have been far more enjoyable if we hadn't had the next bout of singing to endure. It was a good idea but perhaps next time just get some good cds in?

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Eureka06, Owner at Plum Pudding, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Petra I am so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the entertainment, I was actually present the whole evening and was not aware of any customers not enjoying themselves. I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss any concerns you had with you on the night as we are open to constructive criticism and will of course note your comments although I personally thought she was brilliant as did others. Still at the end of the day I acknowledge it all comes down to personal preference.