“Well worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The White Horse Inn

You added The White Horse Inn to your Saves list
The White Horse Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   The Street, Boughton-under-Blean, Faversham ME13 9AL, England   |
Brighton
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Late review but looking back on the last years weekends away, this place stands out!
Really comfy room, great atmosphere in the pub, lovely staff. Excellent meal and breakfasts! Proper village feel, but near to Canterbury & Whitstable both well worth a visit. Try the oysters in Whitstable... We will definitely visit again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have stayed at the White Horse Inn more than 10 times and am thrilled that I have found this lovely friendly place which has charm and character. I have stayed in a number of rooms now and all are well decorated, nice throws and cushions and have flat screen tvs and the usual tea and coffee making facilities. It is so much nicer than staying in a soulless travelodge or premier inn and the beds and pillows are very comfy.
I look forward to my next trip in Jan!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
bideford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

What a gem,too many places these days offer identikit hotels and industrialized catering,here we found a family-run enterprise where nothing was too much trouble.Our room was newly decorated with floral designs on the walls,lovely comfortable bed,ideal for us two old codgers.When we messed up the taxi the owner even ran us to the station so we didn't miss our train.

Room Tip: We saw two and both were as ours
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is the second time i've stayed at the white horse inn. Happily nothing much has changed. Food remains as excellent as ever. The room we stayed in was very clean and well stocked with beverages, there was even bottles of mineral water. The bathroom contained almost everything you need for an overnight stay. Shampoo, shower gel and soap are provided as standard. Handy if you forget to bring your own!
The only gripe i had about the room was that shower! It's electric and has a habit of going from lovely and warm to freezing without warning. I got caught out a couple of times much to my collegue's amusement.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night with our baby daughter.
When we arrived the lad behind reception was somewhat friendly and gave us our room key and directed us telling us dinner would be between half 6 and 9. We went to our room, room 1 and found to be very dull with poor lighting, a tiny tv which was very far away from the bed so watching it was uncomfortable. We were disappointed that there was only a shower also, which when used in the morning was found to be little more than a drip. The furniture was very basic and the beige walls really need updating and livening up.
We decided to go have a drink in the bar while we decided when we wanted to eat and were ushered straight through to the restaurant and told that they had a large party coming and we needed to order quickly otherwise it would take a long time. We weren't really ready to eat but felt we had no choice in when we did. We didn't see a large party arrived but the restaurant was fairly busy. Our dinner did take a fairly long time to come anyway. It was nice but nothing special.
We slept well on the large bed which we felt was the best thing about the hotel.
In the morning we went through to breakfast, seated ourselves and watched for 10 minutes as the 1 waitress ran around serving food and playing with the 'buffet' table. When she approached us she asked if we knew what we wanted and I said that we hadnt seen a menu yet. The buffet table was so poor, there was just a basket of cereal some milk and juices and the coffee perculator. If we wanted croissants and toast etc we had to order it seperately. I had poached eggs in the end and my husband had a full english. It was ok but the eggs were hard and there was no butter on the toast under the eggs. My husband did enjoy the local sausages and bacon. I really look forward to hotel breakfasts with a great buffet and was so disappointed when I saw what was on offer.
The plus side was the massage and reiki treatment I received from Tobie. She is ever so lovely and was able to seeme a little earlier. The massage was so relaxing and as a reiki virgin I really enjoyed and feel I have benefitted from it. I would recommend Tobie to anyone looking to relax for an hour or so. Really lovely lady. Thank you Tobie

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RamsgateOrange, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thanks for your feedback.
As I have said before we are about to start redecorating and replacing electric showers which will address some of the issues you faced.
The room is on the ground floor with a king size bed which we gave you because you were sharing your bed with your baby. Normally we would charge more for this room but this charge was waived. I am sorry you wanted a bath but if you had let us know we might have been able to nove you.
Our restaurant can get very busy and you arrived at 7.15 without a reservation. You had a choice to eat early or late and chose to eat early. We were expecting 4 tables of 4 and a table of 2 from 7.30. We had to turn other people away that night.
We don't serve a buffet breakfast - we cook fresh to order, that includes toast and croissants. We think it is far better to do this rather than leave everything out for an hour or so to go stale and to be handled by other people. The buffet table you refer to simply contains cereals and juices you can help yourself to. Guests are also invited to order off our breakfast menu (sorry the waitress took some time getting to you, I will ensure we have enough menus for all the tables in future). We use the best of local produce in all of our cooking, local free range eggs, locally made sausages, best bacon, vine tomatoes, chunky bloomer bread, eggs cooked as you like them.
I am glad you enjoyed your massage and reiki. Tobie is very good at what she does and her business, White Horse Therapies are an asset to our hotel.
Thanks for your comments and opinions of the White Horse Inn
Regards
Tara Birks
Deal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have stayed here a few times now and have been very pleased each time. This time another couple also came also to experience the delights of the White Horse Inn. The owner, really makes you feel welcome and always takes time to chat, even when the place is busy. As usual we found the rooms very well appointed for the price and value for money. (The beds are however a little soft for my liking).
Highlight though is the food in the restaurant, which never dissapoints. For a small village Inn they certainly have a high standard and seem to use only the best of local produce. (The cheese board is also to be recommended). The atmosphere in the restaurant at the weekends is also nice and cheery, with a log fire burning.
Similarly the cooked breakfast is very good and the sausages are first class....
Very handy for going into Canterbury for the day, where we managed to get tickets for the theatre which is recommended, before returning for dinner in the evening.
In summary a very good quality inn and great value for what it offers. We will return once again I'm sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the side of the Inn where it is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I liked
The food which was good value
The staff who were very pleasant

Now on to the dislikes....
It's a long time thankfully since I have experienced this type of room in a hotel
Everything has been done on the cheap.
Hard mattress rickety beds old carpet seventies style weak electric shower a WC lid that won't stay up
Single glazed tatty old windows and doors
The rooms each side and above are so poorly sound proofed that you can hear every toilet visit and particularly from above every step taken by the neighbours
On top of this the whole place could do with a really good clean
Two out of ten for overall lack of effort at this establishment Can't believe it is higher than two star!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are 4 star Visit England assessed.
Thanks for your comments. I wish I knew which room you had stayed in so I could fix these problems before another guest checked in but I am not too sure. However, in answer, noise pollution happens in many hotels and it is not something we can fix very easily so I am sorry about that. But we are due to get the windows repainted, (they are wooden sash windows in a listed building ). Also we are looking at renewing some of the electric showers - but not all rooms have these. The doors are heavy fire doors so I am not sure why you thought them thin, but again we due to redecorate these too in the next few weeks.
The hotel was refurbed to a very high standard by Shepherd Neame just a few years ago, but it does now need to be redecorated which as I have been saying we are just about to start doing. The carpets are quality hotel grade, there are blackout curtains at the windows, and the furniture is modern chunky solid wood, the mattresses are high end (we get asked what make they are as many people find them very comfortable indeed) and we use Egyptian cotton bedding, environmentally friendly quality toilteries, DVD players in some rooms, free wi fi and lots of free parking.
Thanks again for your feedback and opinions about the White Horse Inn and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. And I am sorry you did not feel you could share your comments with me when you checked out.
Regards
Tara Birks

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!