“Best steaks ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Walkden
Cuisines: French, British
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Grenache has been open for 5 years and in that time has made its mark on the fine dining community by winning several awards. We were awarded with 2 AA Rosettes for culinary excellence in March 2014 and beat off stiff competition to win The Good Food Guide's Best North West Restaurant Award in 2013. Not only do we serve fantastic food but we also pride ourselves on our level of service. We offer an Early Market Menu, available all evening, Wednesday & Thursday, and until 6.00Pm on Fridays. The Market menu changes every Wednesday, with 1 course £13.95, 2 Courses £17.95 And 3 courses £20.95. We also offer our A'la Carte menu, which changes monthly.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best steaks ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was our second visit to Grenache and following our first visit our expectations were high, we were not disappointed. Again we had a fantastic meal and evening however the highlight was the best steaks my wife and I have ever had, just a real pleasure. Cant praise this place enough and looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited June 2012

bristol
“Super Food served with passion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my wife arrived some 20 minutes late as I had confused the booking time.This is a small but extremely popular restaurant and my tardiness was an embarrassment to me and Iknow an inconvenience to them.However upon arrival the staff were extremely gracious and very attentitive and the owners welcome and concern for our enjoyment soon dispelled any embarrassment we were suffering.
Whilst I can't praise the staff,owners attention to detail and ambiance enough,I certainly don't want this to over shadow the quality of the food which was sensational.
We both had sirloin steak which was cooked to perfection and tasted divine.I started with the cheese souffle and my wife the potato soup ,both of which were exquisite.
My wife had no room for dessert but did share some of my lightly batter plums served with rice pudding.....delicious.
A great night eating great food in a very atmospheric environment served by great staff.
My advice......go and try!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
GrenacheRestaurant, Owner at Grenache Restaurant, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Hi Every Picture 1971

Thank you for your kind words. I have shown them to all the staff, its always nice to read good feedback and is a great boost to everyones moral.
Hope to see you again soon.
Huss
Skaka
“Truly disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had our first visit tonight and we were truly looking forward to it. The ambience was lovely, waiters very attentive.
We had a bottle of Shiraz which was excellent.
Our mistake was choosing the early menu. (two courses for £14.95, 3 courses for £17.95). We thought that this was quite good value. It's not.
The starters were fine, I had potato soup, not the tastiest, but adequate.
My husband had fish risotto, which he enjoyed.
Main courses were a let down. My husband had hake, very bland and small. He actually did say to the owner, it really needed a sauce as it was quite tasteless, but the owner commented back to him that it didn't come with a sauce.
My main course was mushrooms and salad. When it arrived I was dismayed to see two mushrooms covered in thick crusty breadcrumbs. I know I should have complained but I thought maybe, I had misread the menu, and as my husband already mentioned the fish blandness to the owner,and he did not do anything about it except to say "sorry it's not your taste".
I asked to see the menu after trying to struggle to scrape the thick breadcrumbs off the mushrooms. (no easy task) and saw that it said Stuffed mushrooms, so I had not been mistaken, the restaurant was at fault.
Needless to say when the owner was told about it, I was told if I had complained at the beginning he would have rectified it.
I honestly don't think he would have, as he didn't bother about my husband's fish.
So of course we didn't bother with the dessert.
Needless to say, we will not be going there again, we were actually trying this restaurant out for a future party of six.
A very disappointing meal.
We so wished we had gone elsewhere. I really wanted to like this place.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hi Sunshine Skala

Thanks for your comments regarding your visit, I hope you dont mind me responding as I do take on board any feedback we receive. I would like to highlight that the dish your husband ate was Pan Fried Hake, Fricassee of Greens, Parsley Boiled Potato, Lemon & White Wine Sauce and he pointed out to me that "he would have preferred a thicker sauce" not that it needed a sauce and was tastless. As my chef designs the componants of each dish to complement each other, he felt that a thinner white wine sauce matched the hake and this is the dish that we have served all week without any other complaints.

Regarding the mushrooms, they were stuffed and then rolled in breadcrumbs. Had you told me that you did not enjoy them while you were eating them, rather than eating everything and then asking me for a 50% discount (as your husband did when he asked for the bill) I could have sampled the dish, spoke to my chef (if there was an issue with it) and then rectified the issues that you had. I did apologise to your husband as he was leaving and he told me that he doubted that I meant it, which I must admit offended me immensley, as I try to ensure all my customers enjoy their visit to us.

I take your point about it not mentioning on the menu that the mushrooms were breaded, this is something I will ensure doesnt happen again.
Finally, again I am sorry that you didnt enjoy your visit.
Huss
Bury
“Amazing food even better service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Went to Grenache for the first time the other day, from phoning to book a table to leaving, the whole experience was first class.

We were made to feel so welcome and the food was absolutely amazing. We ate from the fixed price menu and had 2 courses, and a few extras! First we were brought some lovely bread, then an appetiser of duck and red cabbage, we didn't order either and was so pleasantly surprised to get such delicious extras. For starter we both had black pudding and pancetta salad with a poached egg, really delicious. And for main we had sirloin steak with pepper sauce, with potatoes and spinach, we also had a side of onion rings and salad. All again absolutely delicious. I believe the menu changes weekly and am very much looking forward to going again and trying something else!

Manchester, UK
“Not sure what everyone raves about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Myself and my group of friends found the food at Grenache nice but not as amazing as we have heard. Many of the dishes appeared to be average food with a pretentious twist which didn't necessarily bring anything to the plate. We found it quite disconcerting that the chef was watching us eat from the window in the kitchen door also! There was a good selection of wine and a pleasant atmosphere but I'm not sure we will be going back as the food appeared overpriced and not as fantastic as we were expecting.

• Visited February 2012