“Partial Ocean View a good value” 4 of 5 stars

Silver Point Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Silver Sands Beach, Silver Sands, Barbados   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silver Sands
Boston
“Partial Ocean View a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

1) Get a car if you want to surf or explore at all. I thought we'd be able to walk to surf spots, but this was definitely no the case.
2) Food is really expensive at the resort and on the island in general. Be prepared.
3) It is a bit run down but a beautiful and quiet location. The partial ocean view (cheapest rooms) are small but have awesome balconies and are a great value for what you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I choose this hotel based on other reviews, but I should've done a little more research and looked at real photos not the professional ones, which were a bit misleading.

In a nutshell: Location is off the beaten track, not much of a sight-seeing location. Outdated rooms and hotel appearance. Tiny bathroom, Small safe that cannot keep much. Wifi only works outside of room. One restaurant with limited and expensive menu items. Decent staff but hotel needs lots of upgrades. One benefit is the close distance from airport

If this hotel was half the cost it would be reasonable. However, I paid RitzCarlton 5 star hotel prices for 2star "motel like" appearance and service.

Room Tip: Get ocean view room, all others are disappointing
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Silver Point Hotel in Silver Sands. This hotel was BY FAR the high light of our trip. Our room was VERY clean. It was the coolest set up of a hotel room I had ever been in. It was cozy and clean and the "partial ocean view" was really a stretch on the partial. We could see a LOT of ocean from our balcony on the third floor.

When you walk in the room, the bathroom on the right had an amazing and clean stone tiled shower with a giant elephant shower head. On the left of the entrance there was a closet to hang your clothes and a safe. Inside the room, was a small living area with a love seat, coffee table, television, and refrigerator. There was a regular flight of stairs and when you got to the top of the loft was our big king size bed, awesome comfortable covers and plenty of pillows. The air conditioner was above the bed. When the air conditioner was on, it was enough to cool our entire hotel room.

The pool and beach boardwalk of this hotel is unbeatable. We had our own car, so one day we drove the wade, lounge, and site see. I am being totally honest in saying Silver Point had the best beach front area of any of the other hotel beaches. I do have to say, and as you can read from EVERYONE else's reviews that being on the south end of the island, the ocean is very rough here. Unless you can really truly swim or you are here to kite or wind surf, this is not the best area of the island to go into the water. The swells are very high here, and there is a very strong rip current about 20-30 yards out. But, this is why people come here, to wind surf and kite surf. It's an amazing site, sitting on your cabana and seeing 20-30 wind and kite surfers in person right at the edge of your stretched out legs. It's something both my husband and I will not forget. The cabanas were awesome, the sheets are changed daily. There was enough rotation with the sun being so hot that even having slept in one day, we did not have to wait very long to get a cabana.

The reception area was beyond helpful. Two gals were there every time we needed something. They were friendly and fast in helping us book our Catamaran tour, our restaurant reservations, and helping us with our housekeeping needs. They went beyond expressing where we should go based on their relationships with their vendors and gave us their own personal recommendations or restaurants they would go to with their families. They were cheery, and one even played around with my husband when asking if he needed to dress up to go out to eat that night.

The service was TOP NOTCH. When we got back from Oistin's the first night, we went to the Silver Point Hotel restaurant at about 8pm. I don't eat fish, so my husband went to crazy gobbling all the fish at Oistin's and when we came back we went to the restaurant in hopes for me to grab a quick chicken or veggie bite. We were greeted by a cheerful server that told us we could sit anywhere on the top or first floor. My husband and I went to the top floor and sat out at a two top overlooking the ocean. It was then we met Richelle. I had recognized her name from several of the reviews on this site. I told her that, "It is so nice to meet you, as you are a little bit internet famous." She gave us both a humble little bow and took care of us that day. The remarkable thing about Richelle is that she remembered us for the remainder of our trip. She remembered what we drank, what room we were in, where we were from, and what we had done through the trip.

On our last night we decided to eat again at the restaurant as it was honestly, in our experience, the best food on the island. Richelle said she would take care of us and we were so pumped. It was really one of the best parts of our entire trip. It was later and the restaurant was not busy so she came over and would talk for a bit after having to bounce back and forth from bartending to serving. My husband had a lot of questions about the island, and she was VERRRRY patient in explaining why certain things happened that didn't quite make sense to him. She introduced us to Carolyn, and explained that she worked with her at several other restaurants and bars for years and it was Carolyn that taught her how to provide such amazing service.

I even proposed that if she ever feel the need to move to the states, and be able to hunker down through our cold Wisconsin winters, that she would have a job (training my employees about service) at the restaurant I manage.

All in all, Silver Point is a clean, quiet, beautifully set hotel with TOP NOTCH service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel was comfortable,the staff very helpful and the restaurant very good.Nice location on the beach and very relaxing.Check in and Check out were painless and te food in the restaurant was very good.The beach is there in front of the hotel .The pool is small.

Room Tip: I thnk all the rooms are good,maybe selecy on on the second floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We decided to stay at Silver Point as the rooms were reasonable and we wanted to come away from all inclusive resorts and venture out more.
The rooms are nice and clean and I have no real complaints about any aspects of the room/pool area.
However, the bar staff are rude and unhelpful and will literally do the bare minimum when it comes to their job. Forget about good service it's adequate at best. When asking for a drink at the bar the barman asked a colleague to get it for him to which she replied 'no'. The staff in the bar/restaurant add 10% service fee (as they call it) to every thing you order and will tell you to close your tab because there shift is ending and they want their tip. As the tip is included and doesn't seem optional they do nothing to work for it apart from the bare minimum. There is no table service at the cabanas and your lucky if they clear your glasses. This seems silly as the more drinks they sell the more tips they will make. In our 5 days here the staff just seem to stand around and do nothing or sit on a computer in the restaurant.
I have never written a review on trip advisor and am really not one to complain! If the staff were welcoming this hotel would have been good but they completely let the hotel down. Don't bother! Save your money and stay some where else!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is very clean however the location is really in the middle of a residential area. Beach is very nice but we ventured off to get some drinks and had some difficulty finding a place. On the way there we were feeling very nervous about our surroundings. Very poor in some spots. On a positive side we were able to get a bed by the pool which was very private with palm trees and provided some shade. This was no charge and on a first come basis. Breakfast was awful but lunch delicious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

First off. This hotel was fantastic. We asked for a quiet room and got one. We asked for recommendations for dinner, car rental etc and the staff bent over backwards to help. The staff in the bar were just so friendly, that we looked forward to getting a drink there on a hot afternoon. The pool and lounge beds are just so relaxing that it just made our stay in Barbados so memorable.

My one small niggle is the pestering we got by the pool and on the beach for drugs /coconuts. I love the hotel is out of the way and in a local area, and I totally see the feedback that the hotel can do very little outside its grounds. But we were pestered so much it got annoying, to the point where we were even pestered in the hotel grounds because one guy walked onto the rocks to try and sell drugs. When you are paying so much a night to stay, I personally felt my rating fell from excellent to just good. Like the hotel will say there is not much they can do / some guests don't mind, but as trip advisor guests you do have a choice to be informed and go in knowing the pros and cons.

But please do take this small niggle in context of my overall rating. Aside from that the hotel was lovely, and the staff were ever so friendly and helpful and If it weren't for that it would be getting a high rating.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Point Hotel? Share your experiences!